Too scared to live in England.

Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:45 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too scared to live in England.

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Exactly my thoughts. How weird.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5...uckle1xbz4.gif
Geography not your strong point then Howard?
Oh how true that is for Australia, land of the Ostrich.

gets my vote.....

I think that's a slight exaggeration B, don't you?

OK, maybe I was exaggerating a bit, Hillbrow Jo,berg first, Perth second
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Crayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ukflyaway
Sorry to say I can't relate to your problems.
Having flown the coop in 1980 we have lived in various parts of the world(all rural,) we have seen little or no crime( dog barking.. thats different!) Life "abroad" has been good for us and our family. Used to Visit the UK but that stopped in 2002, we found the country had changed for the worse, my old school was totally black! and the crime, "drugs" etc. had increased. The UK's immigration policies seem to have failed the folks!!
We always liked France but just did'nt want to learn another language, we have quite a few friends who live there and almost all have managed the transition well.. it does take some courage and will... My advice would be:try harder to make your new home a path of adventure, with good /great and interesting times ahead.good luck
mmm nice bloke; "my old school was totally black"... in that case you should not think that France would be any better come to think of it!! And you found crime, drugs etc had increased did you? How would you know that, do tell!! Reading the Daily Mail perhaps?

This is typical of the lame, pathetic attitude I have found with some expats. You blame your country of birth for your own failings. The UK does not need people like you, I sincerely hope you keep your word and do not ever come back to visit these shores.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:08 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crayfish
mmm nice bloke; "my old school was totally black"... in that case you should not think that France would be any better come to think of it!! And you found crime, drugs etc had increased did you? How would you know that, do tell!! Reading the Daily Mail perhaps?

This is typical of the lame, pathetic attitude I have found with some expats. You blame your country of birth for your own failings. The UK does not need people like you, I sincerely hope you keep your word and do not ever come back to visit these shores.
spot on.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

I'm sorry this is slighty off topic, Backhomeatlast I have just clicked on the link for your local and have to say that I am now green with envy, what a lovely local pub! Don't even get me started talking about the menu, I am in love with the place already and have not even visited! Jo I suggest moving there!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:57 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Whoa, wife and I were just talking vacation, after I posted wrong spelling I decided to check out Maldives, perfect spot for our next holiday, am booking, everything we are looking for.

The Lord moves in mysterious ways.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by denzil75
I'm sorry this is slighty off topic, Backhomeatlast I have just clicked on the link for your local and have to say that I am now green with envy, what a lovely local pub! Don't even get me started talking about the menu, I am in love with the place already and have not even visited! Jo I suggest moving there!
It was left to the national trust who have really looked after it, no music. no gaming machines, all the furniture is antique tables and chairs and settles, no rubbish keg beers just real delicious real ales from small independant breweries, always something on in the summer be it morris dancers or beer festivals with a pig roast...I spend a lot of time in that pub.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by denzil75
I think no matter where you live in the world there are always good and bad parts, it's just the media always picks up on the bad parts, you never hear the media saying how great somewhere is. It sounds lovely where you live in France but I'm sure there are some not so lovely areas nearby so please don't let the bad press of England put you off from returning if that's truly where you want to be.
Yes it is lovely where we are and there isn't much crime.
But of course that is only this small part of France, there are other areas that I wouldn't even think of living in.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by clougherty family
I feel very sad and nostalgic for the time when I was growing up here and we could play outside etc etc. but unfortunately times change
Yes, times do change and I often wonder if that is what made me so determined to leave England, I don't think it was England that I didn't like but that it was modern life trouble is I'm not sure that I can accept it now either
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bramblebush
Yes, times do change and I often wonder if that is what made me so determined to leave England, I don't think it was England that I didn't like but that it was modern life trouble is I'm not sure that I can accept it now either
France is so much nicer than Oz and you are so close to the UK, you might really miss your life in France if you are not 100% sure.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

My wife and I 'ping ponged' and are now here in Oz for good. We now have an enviable lifestyle - as opposed to just existing as we did in the UK. Here we have a bigger house and more money in the bank. This all took time. MOST People from the UK believe in a god given right to suddenly jump to the top of the very best paid positions. It takes time to establish yourself. I'm not going to knock the UK - I loved it there (Albiet we suffered a burglary, 4 stolen cars and numerous thefts from my place of work!) Its just that its 2 GREAT nations seperated by a culture. When we ping ponged we realised friends and family were not half as welcoming as we thought upon our initial return and were not interested in our experiences. Infact they had little or no news and had done nothing in the interim! We, like a lot of you I suspect missed friends and family, funny that some of you report on the mistaken hysteria of crime 'back home' I would suggest that some of you are now focasing on the hysteria of a Britain of yesteryear. We could not get back to Brisbane quick enough! We had conveniently forgotten why it was we left the UK in the first place.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
It was left to the national trust who have really looked after it, no music. no gaming machines, all the furniture is antique tables and chairs and settles, no rubbish keg beers just real delicious real ales from small independant breweries, always something on in the summer be it morris dancers or beer festivals with a pig roast...I spend a lot of time in that pub.
Oh no, I'm even more jealous now! And wait till I tell my husband about the real ale
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robclaridge
I'm not going to knock the UK
So you say in every post.......and then go on to do exactly that.

Why the need to mention the burglaries, car thefts etc. in the UK and then say how great everything is in Brisbane

I am not hankering for a Britain of yesteryear....I still live here and do not experience all the crime and other problems others mention.

I also have a big house and money in the bank.

I am only going to live in Brisbane for family reasons.....not because I think Australia is better.

G
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

ukflyaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tracey,

Don't want to get into all this slagging off UK/Aus. and to be honest the only reason I posted is because we're just a bit worried about the situation here. I love England and Maidenhead is our home town, all our family and friends are here and that part is great. I love the UK for all the reasons we all went on about when we were in Perth and posting on here, but I have to say that this society is not the same as even a couple of years ago. I don't want to be racist or ageist etc etc blah blah, but the place is unrecognisable from when we were growing up.

My boys will go to the Catholic school near us but if they weren't Catholic they would have to go the another primary school near my house and the statistics are about 98% asian children. Don't get me wrong, I had asian girls in my class at school and we all got on fine but it's got to the stage where the white children are in the minority. I don't want my kids learning all about religious festivals and not being allowed to talk about Christmas! There are Polish people everywhere, Polish shops opening up, it feels like we are living in another Country. I'm not sure whether we should just stay here and deal with the fact that things change or whether we should move somewhere more rural or even move to another country. I really don't want to have to move abroad again as it's so stressful but at the end of the day we want the best life we can for us and our children.

All these people on here keep saying that they've never seen any crime near them and I know the media hype everything up but seriously, every morning I put the TV on and someone else has been shot/stabbed/beaten with an iron bar. It's getting to be a normal occurance. This is not just happening in London anymore, it's widespread and I for one, don't really want to wait until it starts happening in my town before I move.

Jo
Good to hear a true and honest post.. Crime is just about as bad in England as it is in Africa
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Crayfish
Reading is another place you wouldn't want to live!! I think if we do end up moving it's going to be somewhere in the sticks like Devon, can't see any other big towns being any different than here really. Thanks for your replies.

Jo
Oh Jo, come and live by me in mid Devon. Lovely villages, fab schools, surrounded by countryside and houses that you could afford coming from your neck of the woods!

There is no way I'm going back to where I left...Bromsgrove, Worcs...I want a village and a community to live in. I want my kids to grow up in a more rural environment. I want them to know what cows look like!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

ukflyaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Hi Jo

I can understand your fears and know what you mean about things changing, but the big problem is, WHERE do you go to escape from it? You only real alternative if you want complete safety from the angst of the modern world is to be somewhere extremely isolated, but would you really want that?
The very sad truth this is the world we live in now, regardless of countries.
My colleague got mugged walking home from work last week and beaten to a pulp, all for a bag of work clothes. No matter where you are in the western world there will be risks, new immigrants and an ever changing environemnt because thats how the world is now.
Personally, i feel we either have to adapt to it or forever be searching for something or somewhere that doesnt exist.

I sure hope you find happiness though
I have to say that there are many many places that put England to shame, as far as crime and weather are concerned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.