Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

Old Apr 28th 2011, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh yes plus his wife touched the Queen!!!
Well she's the spouse of a head of state! like a Queen? but not like THE Queen

From the Times:
"When Michelle Obama put her arm round the Queen at Buckingham Palace, some of the more excitable elements of the media - particularly the Americans - suggested she may have been guilty of a breach of protocol.

They missed the real story, however. What was far more interesting was that the Queen put her arm round the First Lady. "

Some coverage said the Queen actually appreciated Michelle Obama, the way she related to the Queen, which is why she was personally invited back with the children for a special excursion round the Palace at a later date.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 28th 2011 at 7:42 am.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
So, so true.

I mentioned here before that I found an old letter from a former college professor. She wrote it to me in 1991, a few years after I has left the UK. I had clearly mentioned that we might come home, because she warned me against it in this letter. She told me 'no, the country is more divided than ever, it rains all the time, people are miserable, it's violent, it's not the same as you remember' and so on. And this is a woman who wouldn't have read the Daily Mail if it was the only paper she had while trapped on a desert island.

I bet now she's looking back fondly on the 1990s and bemoaning how bad things have become.
I get the same thing.

I am in touch with friends from high school and university on the Friends Reunited web site. I mentioned last year that I was considering moving back. They all said "Nah, you don't want to come back here . . . anywhere but here . . . prices are going through the roof, etc. etc."

Must be a totally British trait. Of course, their comments had no effect whatsoever on me

I do feel there is tremendous truth in the statement that you must have lived outside the UK to really appreciate it.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Having kept an eye on this thread I would say that we can focus on (and indeed have focused on) reasons to be unhappy in any country.

Posts in other threads have repeatedly shown that the problems that the UK is experiencing are not only over-exaggerated but are usually less severe than problems experienced in other western countries.

The unemployment rate is higher in both the US and Canada and not so much lower in Australia. Young people wear hoodies everywhere. Because they dress a certain way or even act with a certain bravado does not turn them into scary mobs. The price of petrol is rising everywhere. The economic slowdown has hit everywhere. In fact, economic growth cannot continue. It is, as has been pointed out for the last 40 years, unsustainable. The US economy was based on oil at $4/barrel. It's a bit higher than that now. They are deeply in debt, held primarily by China and Japan (which probably explains the announcements in Japanese that I heard at Detroit airport, and quite floored me).

When I last went back to the UK (2009) I noticed how everyone I knew seemed to have more disposable income than I and were generally enjoying a better lifestyle than I.

Of course, there are problems but this is not the sole domain of the UK.

For most of us planning to return to the UK, the focus is on the positives that are only available to us there. I won't list them all but high on the list for me is the diverse beauty of the UK. In all my travels to many other countries, I have never found another that could match this beauty.
Because of the diversity of the UK, there is access to so many more interesting places than in any other country I have visited, and all within a relatively close distance, not to mention the access to other places in Europe.

I do believe that over-population is a problem, particularly compared to places like Canada, but that alone is not enough to keep me here. And yes, I do feel that immigration there has got a bit out of hand. I'm sure this will be addressed where necessary. There are so many places that I went in the UK and experienced a sense of peace, tranquillity and lack of crowds. This will be the type of place that I seek out, but know that I will also have access to interesting towns and cities.

We have compared budgets and seen that overall we are better off there.

All in all I am still feeling primarily positive about returning to the UK. I take what I read in the media anywhere with a pinch of salt and this is probably a good idea when it comes to the media there. It all depends where you want to place your focus.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui

For most of us planning to return to the UK, the focus is on the positives that are only available to us there. I won't list them all but high on the list for me is the diverse beauty of the UK. In all my travels to many other countries, I have never found another that could match this beauty.
Because of the diversity of the UK, there is access to so many more interesting places than in any other country I have visited, and all within a relatively close distance, not to mention the access to other places in Europe.

I do believe that over-population is a problem, particularly compared to places like Canada, but that alone is not enough to keep me here. And yes, I do feel that immigration there has got a bit out of hand. I'm sure this will be addressed where necessary. There are so many places that I went in the UK and experienced a sense of peace, tranquillity and lack of crowds. This will be the type of place that I seek out, but know that I will also have access to interesting towns and cities.
I have to laugh at the fact that so often we as expats used to harp on about the fact that the only thing wrong with Britain was the British themselves.

I'm laughing again here bandrui for the same reason but I have to agree with you that the positive attributes that you've named are practical in retirement/semi-retirement as key reasons to return IF you have ready access and the time and maybe money to linger in the most beautiful areas if you are not able to actually find a spot to live in their midst.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 29th 2011 at 5:56 am.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 6:45 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I have to laugh at the fact that so often we as expats used to harp on about the fact that the only thing wrong with Britain was the British themselves.

I'm laughing again here bandrui for the same reason but I have to agree with you that the positive attributes that you've named are practical in retirement/semi-retirement as key reasons to return IF you have ready access and the time and maybe money to linger in the most beautiful areas if you are not able to actually find a spot to live in their midst.
I agree - I don't have the bloody time to see anything other than my house, my office, and the road in between. Still, I could be living in Easterhouse (sorry if anyone is from there!)
Old Apr 29th 2011, 8:26 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

You know, my friends are far from wealthy but they seem to have tons of time for holidays and weekends away. It amazes me actually. One is in the US right now on a two-week trip around the Western states having got back recently from a weekend in Venice. One spends frequent weekends up in Cumbria on walking trips. And I just got in touch with an old college friend who works for his local council in Devon and whose wife works part-time. Three months ago, they went for 10 days in Cumbria. Now he tells me that in two weeks they're off for a week in Cornwall. Another holiday??

Like I said, these are not wealthy people.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

You know, my friends are far from wealthy but they seem to have tons of time for holidays and weekends away. It amazes me actually. One is in the US right now on a two-week trip around the Western states having got back recently from a weekend in Venice. One spends frequent weekends up in Cumbria on walking trips. And I just got in touch with an old college friend who works for his local council in Devon and whose wife works part-time. Three months ago, they went for 10 days in Cumbria. Now he tells me that in two weeks they're off for a week in Cornwall. Another holiday??

Same here seems like everyone I know in England is off hither & yonder every 5 mins.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

There's a couple I know that compare, who spring to mind. They also would not be described as wealthy but they each receive a senior teacher's pension plus and they have no dependants or descendants or mortgage. So they should still have plenty to spend on those trips and break even on an annual basis but the chat on other threads here is not, it seems, looking at a pension(s) of mid-twenties for two even so that lifestyle may be a bit of a reach for many, possibly me included. I'm trying not to post blasé.

If you are still working and have the time off then you are quids in and should go for it. When I was working I used most public holidays to jet off to the States on ticket sales and redeemed miles and AAdvantage specials. Those were the days!

But, as bandrui has said, that sort of lifestyle, if you buy into it, is a big reason to return to the UK and I for one see something similar as my reason for spending a fair amount of time there. I can't actually see myself wanting to do much other than pottering around which could add-up, which is why I say maybe money.

A big advantage when retired is that your time is your own and so you can grab those travel bargains and low ryanair/easyjet BA/AA fares as it suits you, sometimes with incl. hotels and sometimes those trips are much cheaper than traveling in the UK, so I've just come up with an added reason to return. It costs a fortune to get off this particular rock.

I would like to know where people stay on those trips as a typical B&B in the UK can now set you back 55 quid even out of season. Maybe there are deals or promos we don't know of.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 29th 2011 at 9:14 am.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 12:18 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Same here SS, my sister I am staying with is in Turkey, she returns on Monday then is off to Paris next weekend, my other sister went to Spain this morning with her husband, my mother is off to Spain in November for a month, Me??? I have been no further than here for at least the last decade or two.............
Old Apr 29th 2011, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pete. I'm a bit baffled... at what's funny? This is, from my heart, how I feel.
I don't think retirement/semi-retirement, time or money have anything to do with this. My father worked very hard, we didn't have a lot of extra money and never had a car but every Sunday we went for picnics in the countryside. I think it's more a matter of priorities at any age. We find time for the things that are important to us; access and money are not the issues here. The countryside is all around us there, in every county.
Just trying to understand where you are coming from??
Old Apr 29th 2011, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bandrui
Hi Pete. I'm a bit baffled... at what's funny? This is, from my heart, how I feel.
I don't think retirement/semi-retirement, time or money have anything to do with this. My father worked very hard, we didn't have a lot of extra money and never had a car but every Sunday we went for picnics in the countryside. I think it's more a matter of priorities at any age. We find time for the things that are important to us; access and money are not the issues here. The countryside is all around us there, in every county.
Just trying to understand where you are coming from??
I'm not belittling your rationale for returning, please don't get me wrong.

I'm laughing because few of us (me included) seem to want to go back to the UK to be amongst our own fellow Brits when it comes to actually listing the reasons. Admittedly those younger Brits living in the US and Canada in particular seem more isolated due to cultural differences and find it harder to make real friends.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 12:11 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

The negativity is only one aspect of Brits though, and I think that's why we can want to be back among our own kind while also being irritated by aspects of their personality. Its like a family. You love them but certain things they do drive you nuts.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

The negativity is only one aspect of Brits though, and I think that's why we can want to be back among our own kind while also being irritated by aspects of their personality. Its like a family. You love them but certain things they do drive you nuts.
I've been trying to arm myself with a proper sense of where the UK finds itself right now, to make better use of this particular thread.

This article seems to have a finger on the pulse:

Google it if you need to read the entire article.

Thatcherism and the End of the Post-War Consensus
By Dennis Kavanagh

Conclusion:

...........................Society has also become more individualistic, as seen in the passion for home ownership and in Blair’s emphasis on choice in the public services. Britain's one-size-fits-all, post-1945 public services are seen to be less responsive to consumers. There remains a north-south (more accurately, London and the south east versus the rest) divide in terms of economic wealth and opportunity.

London has gained greatly from the globalising economy, while the north remains heavily dependent on public spending for jobs and economic activity.

And despite rising living standards and greater opportunity for many, society has become more 'broken' and an 'underclass' has emerged. Indicators of these trends are divorce, which has increased twentyfold, the prison population, which has increased sevenfold, and the fact that Britain has more births outside marriage and teenage mothers than any other European country.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 1:36 am
Finally Home!

I've been trying to arm myself with a proper sense of where the UK finds itself right now, to make better use of this particular thread.
I understand. I've been trying to do the same - my observations come from my family and friends rather than from newspapers, but I think we're all on the same page - trying to learn.

I think one problem with newspaper articles and books is figuring out how to use the information. For example, "London has benefited from globalisation" sounds like the kind of thing people say about New York. And it's certainly true - for the well-off people. Everybody else finds themselves increasingly priced out of being able to afford decent homes. My understanding from my friends in London is that the same does indeed apply there. The people I know in the north and in Devon have a better standard of living then the people I know in London.

On the other hand, taking friends' experiences as guidance can also be misleading. Their experiences might not be ours. Their lifestyle might not be one we can have. Or if we got it, one that we would want.

In the end I suppose like everything in life, it comes down to following your intuition and then making the best of it.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

This article seems to have a finger on the pulse:

Google it if you need to read the entire article.

Thatcherism and the End of the Post-War Consensus
By Dennis Kavanagh

Conclusion:

...........................Society has also become more individualistic, as seen in the passion for home ownership and in Blair’s emphasis on choice in the public services. Britain's one-size-fits-all, post-1945 public services are seen to be less responsive to consumers. There remains a north-south (more accurately, London and the south east versus the rest) divide in terms of economic wealth and opportunity.

London has gained greatly from the globalising economy, while the north remains heavily dependent on public spending for jobs and economic activity.

And despite rising living standards and greater opportunity for many, society has become more 'broken' and an 'underclass' has emerged. Indicators of these trends are divorce, which has increased twentyfold, the prison population, which has increased sevenfold, and the fact that Britain has more births outside marriage and teenage mothers than any other European country.
Having recently returned from Canada, I question if I have done the right thing. Britain is mired in a recession and quite frankly, given how slow everything happens here and the amount of red tape, I doubt they can dig themselves out of it. Low paying jobs in call centres are replacing decent paying jobs in the traditional industries. I suppose Margaret Thatcher thought she could turn all of those miners and engineering workers into network administrators overnight. Countries that pump a large amount of their wealth into the conflicts in Iraq, Afganistan, and Libya have little chance of gaining any ground.

I suppose the country has been in the doldrums for more than 20 years. It was just that the previous Labour government pumped lots of cheap credit into the economy that gave an illusion of wealth. Now, the party is over, make no mistake about that. Sure, the countryside is fantastic, try living off that. By 2010, 10% unemployment will be the norm in the north.

Last edited by johnh009; Apr 30th 2011 at 2:32 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.