British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   To those who have moved back, whats it really like ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/those-who-have-moved-back-whats-really-like-712282/)

Stu Ward Apr 6th 2011 3:51 am

To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

Hi

We are currently in Australia and have been now for 3 years.
Life is good here, we really enjoy it, but there is also the pull of missing family that has started to make us consider a return home.

My questions to all of those that have gone back are.

What is it really like back in the UK ?
Has it changed significantly since we left in 2008 ?

If we read the news, we see nothing but negativity that worries me to death, but is this just journalism ?

I know the decision lies totally on our shoulders, but I would like a general opinion of the current state of affairs in the UK

Thanks

Stuart

steviedeluxe Apr 6th 2011 10:31 am

Re: To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

What is it really like back in the UK ?
Has it changed significantly since we left in 2008 ?
I'm not sure that much has changed to be honest. It's true that there are a lot of public sector job cuts taking place. On the other hand, it's claimed that there are jobs being created in certain areas. I suppose the worse thing is that confidence in the future is currently low - people are cutting back on big-item purchases as they fear for their job...

Apart from that the UK seems much the same (well it does to me). The great things are still great eg the sporting events, the countryside in Spring, the great choice of international restaurants and take-aways. Even the pubs, although quite a few have closed down. The negative things are still here (as they are in most countries) eg youth gang culture, rush hour traffic at a standstill, parking and speeding fines, high cost of public transport etc.

chrissystevo Apr 6th 2011 2:47 pm

In one word.......SH&T!!!!!

In a few more words - I think this country has gone down hill greatly in the time that we were away. Forget the increased prices foor everything as comodity prices are increasing worldwide. The things that stuck me most were the feeling of a general depression and there being nothing but bad news in the press. Most of all though I just have a feeling of my family, particularly my kids, being unsafe here. When I drive home from work everyday I see nothing but gangs of hoodie-tracksuitbottomsstuffedintosocks-brooding youths roaming the streets. Every day I hear on the news, or read in the paper a story of some youth being stabbed somewhere. It really is quite scary. I moaned about a lot of things in Australia, some jsutified, but one thing I never felt out there was unsafe or threatened.

Oh, and the pull of family wan't as strong as I thought it was.

All the best.:thumbsup:

Pollyana Apr 6th 2011 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by chrissystevo (Post 9289194)

In a few more words - I think this country has gone down hill greatly in the time that we were away. Forget the increased prices foor everything as comodity prices are increasing worldwide. The things that stuck me most were the feeling of a general depression and there being nothing but bad news in the press. Most of all though I just have a feeling of my family, particularly my kids, being unsafe here. When I drive home from work everyday I see nothing but gangs of hoodie-tracksuitbottomsstuffedintosocks-brooding youths roaming the streets. Every day I hear on the news, or read in the paper a story of some youth being stabbed somewhere. It really is quite scary. I moaned about a lot of things in Australia, some jsutified, but one thing I never felt out there was unsafe or threatened.

Yet other people live quite happily in parts of the UK unthreatened by hooded teenagers and feeling quite safe. Its no different to Aus, some bit are worse than others. I've felt more unsafe here at times than in Brighton or Bristol, or even in parts of London.

chrissystevo Apr 6th 2011 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9289252)
Yet other people live quite happily in parts of the UK unthreatened by hooded teenagers and feeling quite safe. Its no different to Aus, some bit are worse than others. I've felt more unsafe here at times than in Brighton or Bristol, or even in parts of London.

Quite true Pollyana.

Basically it all boils down to one persons opinion, views, outlooks and feelings. That is why threads like this invaribly descend into a "UK is better than Aus because.... or Aus is better than UK because...." slanging match.

To the OP, it doesn't really matter what other peoples views or experiences are. The only views that matter are yours, only you know how happy you are in your current situation, and only you know how strong the pull is to return. Think long and hard and make the decision that is best for you. You will know soon enough if it was the right one.

fatcat65 Apr 6th 2011 7:33 pm

Hi Stu, I've been back a month now from Canada and the first thing that struck me is the speed of everything and everyone...its done at a hundred miles an hour, that's taking some time to get used to!
Other than that, although the prices of food have gone up, its still much cheaper than Canada and i feel like a kid in a sweet shop when i go shopping at Asda now as I get so much more for my money even when you convert the currency.
However, the job situation is dire. My 18 year old applied for a job at Macdonalds and didn't even get through the first set of assessments as they are inundated with applicants every day! There are no jobs in the supermarkets and not too many where I live in the care industry. So depending on where you are and what your line of work is you may struggle to get work.
The government are making drastic cuts in many areas so unemployment is going to rise again so there will be an increase in people claiming benefits, swings and roundabouts! My advice would be that if you have a good job and a decent life over there stay for a while longer until things pick up again, however, I know how homesickness can grab you but thats my honest opinion.
One big thing i noticed too which has been said earlier is the negativity, which stems from the press...they do portray everything as doom and gloom so no wonder us Brits don’t have much motivation, because if you read the news and watch the tv everyday, its enough to make one end it all!
However, I came back determined not to get dragged down with everyone else and remain positive that i will get work and I am glad I’m here and have no regrets. I’m finally by the sea and spring is in the air and i love it!
Best of luck whatever you decide.

Stu Ward Apr 6th 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I know there is no single Right answer as everyones own specific circumstances have the most effect.

But what i really want to know is what the condition of the country is like, prospects for Kids and stuff

Thats the most important thing to me

Stu

quoll Apr 6th 2011 9:12 pm

I would imagine that prospects for kids are going to be much the same as they have always been - there are thousands of UK kids out there being happy, healthy, productive members of society. If I look at my friends' kids, they are all in gainful employment, many on the property ownership ladder, pretty much all in happy relationships and the very young ones still at school all seem to manage a part time job and with one exception have been happy at school. All of them seem to have no trouble taking holidays or spending weekends away. I am blown away by the variety of things they seem to be able to do as youngsters that certainly dont involve hanging round street corners with their hoods up (my cousin's family is the youngest and his kids are always away on camps, excursions, school trips etc)

It probably depends on where you end up. The South does seem to have less doom and gloom - I cant imagine living in Bradford for example (even my Tom Tom wont go there:rofl:).

As for safety (re further up the thread), I never felt quite so scared as when I walked home from the Centre of Canberra after missing the bus last week and I still do happily walk through central London when I am visiting. Fortunately all was well but I didnt much like the adrenaline rush of thinking that it may well have been quite different.

Margaret3 Apr 7th 2011 5:29 am

yep, my rellies go about there day to day business, and none have been stabbed, threatened or robbed once!

pgtips Apr 7th 2011 8:15 am

Originally Posted by chrissystevo (Post 9289194)

Where on earth have you moved to ? I live a great life in the suburbs of outer West London. Things are even better in the Chilterns. It really depends where you have chosen to go back to in the UK, but believe me all is not doom and gloom.

the troubadour Apr 7th 2011 8:42 am

Fully agree. Go out on Perth late at night and take public transport after hours on a regular basis.
Almost if ever felt unsafe in around two decades living in London,which actually all things considered is a rather safe city.

Some of the regions in places can be a bit iffy,though.

geeandtee Apr 7th 2011 8:45 am

We've been back since August and had no trouble adjusting at all. We'd been away for eight and a half years and, yes, some things have changed but we get by.
Perhaps we're lucky because we're in a lovely part of the country but, even when we spent the first two months in Nottingham, it was still better than the dusty, end of the road, dying town in AZ that we'd left behind.
My blood pressure, which was stratospheric before we left the US is more or less perfect now. That says it all to me, even though we're struggling from paycheck to paycheck at the moment. I know that will get better when I get my first paycheck at the end of the month:thumbup: So, yes, we're happy.

sallysimmons Apr 7th 2011 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 9290118)

It probably depends on where you end up. The South does seem to have less doom and gloom - I cant imagine living in Bradford for example (even my Tom Tom wont go there:rofl:).

I wouldn't live there either, but to reiterate that things are not as bad as they're made out to be, I'll tell you that several of my friends live in the greater Bradford area. They all have lovely homes, good neighbors, regular holidays, decent jobs and not once have any of them been stabbed or mugged. One runs a writing group in his spare time and is out every night. Another is very active in the local community. They're some of the most content people I know.

quoll Apr 7th 2011 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9292010)
I wouldn't live there either, but to reiterate that things are not as bad as they're made out to be, I'll tell you that several of my friends live in the greater Bradford area. They all have lovely homes, good neighbors, regular holidays, decent jobs and not once have any of them been stabbed or mugged. One runs a writing group in his spare time and is out every night. Another is very active in the local community. They're some of the most content people I know.

Yes, I was taking the mickey out of Bradford - one of my son's mates lives there and has a very nice house with (as far as I can gather) very nice neighbours. However, my Tom Tom steadfastly refuses to get me where I need to go once I hit Bradford - dunno what got into it!

LINZI Apr 7th 2011 11:15 pm

I think it all depends on where you go back to in the uk at the end of the day :thumbup:
I know where we used to live it won't of changed one bit apart from the gas bill has doubled ;)
Most people like a good whinge no matter where they are in the world :p

Good luck in what you decide :fingerscrossed:

In regards to the children there prospects are as good as they are willing to go with it.