Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

When I was a kid everyone was moaning about how England was going to the dogs , finished, ruined.

When I was a teenager everyone was moaning about how England was going to the dogs , finished, ruined.

When I was in my 20's everyone was moaning about how England was going to the dogs , finished, ruined.

When I was in my 30's everyone was moaning about how England was going to the dogs , finished, ruined.

Now I'm in my 40's I hear how England is going to the dogs , finished, ruined...... anyone care to share my pinch of salt ?

Last edited by Englishman43; Apr 28th 2011 at 4:05 am.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
When I was a kid everyone was moaning about how England was going to the dogs , finished, ruined.

When I was a teenager everyone was moaning about how England was going to the dogs , finished, ruined.

When I was in my 20's everyone was moaning about how England was going to the dogs , finished, ruined.

When I was in my 30's everyone was moaning about how England was going to the dogs , finished, ruined.

Now I'm in my 40's I hear how England is going to the dogs , finished, ruined...... anyone care to share my pinch of salt ?
It's true! It's true! It's true!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 8:55 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

You need to stop reading the Daily Mail, then.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 12:23 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

So, so true.

I mentioned here before that I found an old letter from a former college professor. She wrote it to me in 1991, a few years after I has left the UK. I had clearly mentioned that we might come home, because she warned me against it in this letter. She told me 'no, the country is more divided than ever, it rains all the time, people are miserable, it's violent, it's not the same as you remember' and so on. And this is a woman who wouldn't have read the Daily Mail if it was the only paper she had while trapped on a desert island.

I bet now she's looking back fondly on the 1990s and bemoaning how bad things have become.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

I did say that actually.

difference seems to be that you think that's only true of the UK whereas we know it's the same everywhere else.
Have you ever lived anywhere else?
Yes. 7 years and 2 years abroad. Thanks for asking....oh and I've traveleld around the world several times...have relaitves in the USA/ other countires etc....spent months in Hong Kong/Singapore so ...yeah i know what the rest of the world is like thanks for asking.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

I do not have cancer therefore it does not exist?

I am telling the truth. It hasn't happened to me.
Do you have any children? Less than say 16 years old? Then you'll see cut backs galore!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

LOL yeah guess it beats Afghanistan/Iraq/Egypt, Tunisia etc..thanks i'll try to remember this next time I get told about another cut back and tax rise!

You can still go to the beach, run that car, plan holidays and enjoy a standard of living 80% of the world's population can only dream about. They will never have what you have, sadly.

Count your blessings.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

I'll guarantee net imigraton wasn't over 100k per anum back then! And the EU didn't run our country then either....Just because we have been there before doesn'e mean it's not different this time.

I bet now she's looking back fondly on the 1990s and bemoaning how bad things have become
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Libya

Which country are you thinking of moving to?
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:59 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crusheduk
I did say that actually.

Yes. 7 years and 2 years abroad. Thanks for asking....oh and I've traveleld around the world several times...have relaitves in the USA/ other countires etc....spent months in Hong Kong/Singapore so ...yeah i know what the rest of the world is like thanks for asking.
Why did you come back???
Old Apr 28th 2011, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
You need to stop reading the Daily Mail, then.
Oh that's what it's for ?? I always thought they only printed it to wrap Fish & Chips in and stuff in your shoes to help dry them out
Old Apr 28th 2011, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I heard all of that in my 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, and now 70s, but England continues.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 2:50 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

crusheduk, I'm genuinely sorry for you. I hope you find a way to be happy because being this is no way to live out the one life you get. Good luck to you
Old Apr 28th 2011, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aries
I heard all of that in my 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, and now 70s, but England continues.
Me too,(not in my 70`s but I know what you mean!).
Britain`s been going to the dogs for as long as I can remember. According to the press, that is!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Why did you come back???
Weird.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.