Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

Old Apr 17th 2011, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice
Default Re: To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

Originally Posted by Karen1203
I am on my way home to Lancashire tonight after 4 long years in Ontario and this is really refreshing to read. I can so identify with that ache in the heart everyday. Thank you for sharing this, Millicent.
we are hopfully moving back to Lancaster area after 10yrs in Alberta....cannot wait
Old Apr 17th 2011, 4:51 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
we are hopfully moving back to Lancaster area after 10yrs in Alberta....cannot wait
Don't forget Flight Tracker!!!
Old Apr 17th 2011, 4:55 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Re the gangs in hoodies, I saw one lot in Liverpool, last week, when I got closer they were Uni students.

Then yesterday I was on the bus and a "hooded thug" stood up to let an old doddery man sit down.

Oh and I notice when I get off the bus everybody outside waits until you are off before trying to board and 90% of people say "thank you" to the driver when leaving the bus.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Re the gangs in hoodies, I saw one lot in Liverpool, last week, when I got closer they were Uni students.

Then yesterday I was on the bus and a "hooded thug" stood up to let an old doddery man sit down.

Oh and I notice when I get off the bus everybody outside waits until you are off before trying to board and 90% of people say "thank you" to the driver when leaving the bus.
I noticed that too....everyone is so polite.Here in Alberta you would be lucky if you got a "thank you" or a smile,people are so cold here.
How are you liking it over the pond Beedubya?
Old Apr 17th 2011, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about

I can relate to all of this here in Cambridge, Ontario too - the bus thing especially as I have used public transport a lot. Last week I was in Kitchener at 9pm waiting for a bus in the shelter, I was treated to a group of youngish girls spitting on the floor and smoking in the shelter, not to mention the choice language and topics of conversation. Good luck to you Cumbrian lass I hope you find your way home soon.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about

I have been back 6 weeks now and am settling down nicely. The job situation isn't the greatest as it's all online and they must get 1000's applications for the jobs especially as different agencies have the same jobs........then again when I went back to Australia in April 2010 I was unemployed for a full 3 months, here I have at least had 3 interviews so far.......but no job.....YET!! It's just a numbers game, the more you apply for the more you have a chance.

It's been lovely spending time with family, I have had more social life this past 6 weeks than I had in the past 6 months in Oz.

I have been on more days out too and thoroughly enjoyed walking around quaint little towns and villages.

Here is an example of a day out in a Northern City, Liverpool last Friday the day before the Grand National.

The streets were PUMPING, all the trendy bars and bistro's were full to overflowing, smart shops in Liverpool One, guys all dressed up in suits and ties and ladies in their finery for the race events, I went into a few dress shops, the queues were that long that I left as I am not used to sooo many people in one shop LOL!! There was new building and renovation everywhere, like a new Liverpool is emerging. I got a ferry over the Mersey as I wanted to see the skyline, WOW it has changed so much!!!

Recession?

Well it is not showing much sign of it despite what the Daily Fail has to say........

Everybody I know has a job, a car, nice places to live, always buying clothes and go to Europe at least once a year.........my sister will go to Turkey for Easter, Paris for Mother's Day and Italy in September, she is on less money than I was in Australia.

Everybody I know is making plans for their trips, when I lived in Australia I certainly could not afford holidays like this, I hope to be in this position myself by this time next year..............
Good luck to you in the job search ... I will be in the same boat as you very soon - in Canada I was on very poor pay (less than I was earning 15 years ago in England), 2 weeks a year holiday and they work you like a dog - some bank holidays weren't even given - tried to find something better nigh on impossible and no response from agencies - I've already has a message back from one of the UK agencies and I am not even back yet! Right on about the holidays too - I just helped my daughter search for one (she is in the UK) and we found her a trip to Majorca for 149 pounds!!
Old Apr 17th 2011, 7:01 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
I noticed that too....everyone is so polite.Here in Alberta you would be lucky if you got a "thank you" or a smile,people are so cold here.
How are you liking it over the pond Beedubya?

I am SOOO glad to be back although I miss my children and my grand-daughters I feel like ME if that makes sense.

I will feel a lot better though when I get a job and my own place, God willing soon.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:50 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

I am SOOO glad to be back although I miss my children and my grand-daughters I feel like ME if that makes sense.

I will feel a lot better though when I get a job and my own place, God willing soon.
Its coming. We are all praying..
Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we are surprised by some things since we returned in August 2010.

We see far less of family than we anticipated.
The winter- everything seems to shut down from Nov to March which is hard when we are normally out and about with our daughter. Now Spring is finally here we are out with a vengence but the last 5 months have been long.

Traffic: everytime we go somewhere, there is a traffic problem. M11 had a 6 hour closure, M25 had a 3 hour closure the same week, trains were delayed by 90mins (and are meant to be every 15 mins). I thought we were just jinxed but my sister said we are just not used to it and it is completely normal. Just allow 3x times as long to go anywhere. (M1 shut on Friday and is not going to be fully reopened til after Easter).

I took redundancy and thought a new job would not be so hard....well it is. I have been to redundancy planning courses and Royal Mail, BBC, Sky, banks, oil companies, insurance companies all have staff attending these sessions. On top of that education, health and government jobs are facing big reductions. If you are not in any of these fields you are probably OK.

Gas and elec bills nearly gave me a heart attack!

Still goods esp white goods are cheaper than Aus, Clothes are better quality. If you have money/good job UK is a good place to be, but the recession is hitting very hard.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

What's it really like?

Screwed up. I am tellnig the EU is crushing the existance from the UK. They tell us we have to ppen our borders and let people who have never contributed a f** dime to this place and we have to pay them £250 a wek. What other coutnry in rthe world can afford or allwo this?

So it means taxes are shooting through the roof. Cost of living is shooting through the roof. Wages are not rising in line. I mean petrol has almost doubled in the past 5 years......stealth tax. And our services are being decimated. Local libraries are shuting down left right and center. MUCH longer ques now with NHS etc.

Please do think I am being negative. It's like watching a former champion trying to make comeback but you know they have no chance. The worknig clas in the UK are gettign screwed to death now. I mean you'l lwork your backside off to get most of it taken away in bills and taxes for a tiny cramped little house. Wha'ts the point?

Any one who has been away for 5+ years notice how many Polish/Turkish workers we have now in the hospitality sector. Cheap labour. You wil lthe lifestyle of the average worknig class person has taken a huge nose dive. I do not think it's gonig to get any better.

It stil lhas some good points and good areas. If you are wealthy/ good high paying job then the UK is ok. If not, keep out your lifestyle is going to sh***!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

OK..where si that becasue in Manchester i have come across this at all.

And one more huge problem with the UK? Over crowded. Try and rive to a beach on awekeend...stick in traffic for hours. Drive to work etc and most of the time is in traffic jams. Over 60Million on our island...so if you like space..forget it. I guess pockets arer stil lok Cornwall(not in the summer) Scotland, parts of Wales etc..but everyhwere else welcome to GRIDLOCK!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Is that a joke? I presume so....either that or it's about the worst post i have ever read.

Glad you are enjoying being back Millie. I have never lived in Canada, but it sounds horrible. Awful food, weather, big trucks, and people not very polite. It appears you will be much better off financially in the UK. Canadians must be feeling the pinch of the recession more than in other places. Good luck to you!
Old Apr 25th 2011, 4:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like someone has had too much beer and hot sun on this lovely Bank Holiday.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 4:55 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Seems like someone has had too much beer and hot sun on this lovely Bank Holiday.

I'm glad I popped in just for the entertainment value.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:00 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crusheduk
And one more huge problem with the UK? Over crowded. Try and rive to a beach on awekeend...stick in traffic for hours. Drive to work etc and most of the time is in traffic jams. Over 60Million on our island...so if you like space..forget it. I guess pockets arer stil lok Cornwall(not in the summer) Scotland, parts of Wales etc..but everyhwere else welcome to GRIDLOCK!
Bollocks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.