Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Things I've learned Since Being Back in the UK

Things I've learned Since Being Back in the UK

Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things I've learned Since Being Back in the UK

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
I'm in Arizona too..and can't wait to get back to some cold weather..lol, where people think a heatwave is when the temperatures hit 75 F. This Arizona heat is killing me, so all I can say is I will be glad not to be here for another Arizona summer.
It would be terrific to see the four full seasons, once again. I don't care for too much snow but, after living in the Midwest, I think I could deal with whatever a British winter has to offer now. I really miss the springtime, though. Here, spring is over in about two weeks. I can't adjust to a new season that quickly
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
It would be terrific to see the four full seasons, once again. I don't care for too much snow but, after living in the Midwest, I think I could deal with whatever a British winter has to offer now. I really miss the springtime, though. Here, spring is over in about two weeks. I can't adjust to a new season that quickly
Today we have 84F in Dallas. Not looking forward to another unbearably hot summer here. We listed our house this weekend so we are moving along, albeit slowly. Last March/April I spent two weeks in Northern Ireland. Snowdrops and daffodils and baby lambs in the fields. It was a glorious trip.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:29 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by windsong
I love the snow, and the cold..lol. Don't get me wrong I love the springtime too, but at least I know if I'm cold I can put on a sweater and get warm, whereas here if I get too hot I can't strip off anymore without getting arrested...
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
I love the snow, and the cold..lol. Don't get me wrong I love the springtime too, but at least I know if I'm cold I can put on a sweater and get warm, whereas here if I get too hot I can't strip off anymore without getting arrested...
Why can't you strip off in your own garden?
I can spend all day in the sun, that is when it shines.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:47 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Why can't you strip off in your own garden?
I can spend all day in the sun, that is when it shines.
I live with friends right now and all the houses around us are two storey so they can see right into the garden. I'd be worried about scaring the neighbours lol
I'd do it all the time in Australia and gave a workman next door a shock when he stuck his head over the fence to ask for help
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I marvel at it every time I go back; the difference I find between home and Brisbane is that if they bother to talk to you and appear friendly at home then its almost always genuine. Here there is a false veneer thats very hard to get through. At home, whether they actually care or not most people appear to care and have an interest. Here its more "äh well, your life, tough luck, who cares - next...."
I've heard that said in Britain and even said here on BE by Brits that moved back referring to other returnees opinions and experiences.

But disregarding these exceptions (and you never know who they are until they express opinion), many people in Britain are friendly enough in a reserved sought of way, as were people in USA in general, in my experience.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

For those of us who have to bear the unbearable miserable heat in Arizona - none of my UK friends understand there is a massive difference between say 80 degrees and 100+ degree weather for months on end. The former means you have a life and the latter means you stay in, massive ac bills and blinds shut. This is my last summer here and that is for certain. Wish I could move now but not in position to do so right now..
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:28 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by fulwood
For those of us who have to bear the unbearable miserable heat in Arizona - none of my UK friends understand there is a massive difference between say 80 degrees and 100+ degree weather for months on end. The former means you have a life and the latter means you stay in, massive ac bills and blinds shut. This is my last summer here and that is for certain. Wish I could move now but not in position to do so right now..
I know exactly how you feel as I'm in Arizona too and last Summer was a killer for me. With having no car it was a nightmare walking where I needed to go and I looked like a deep boiled lobster by the time I was done..... Darn this Irish complexion..lol

Luckily I won't have to face another AZ summer as I'm heading home at the end of the month (passport willing..lol)
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tel8
8) Tea. Dear sweet Jane the tea. *sigh* I drink at least one cup every day. EVERY day. I didn't really believe that I'd ever develop a tea habit, but I find it comforting, comfortable, and a great way to avoid talking when you really don't want to a la: "I'll just go put the kettle on then..."
Totally understand about the tea. Why is Orange Pekoe so popular in North America?

Last edited by RockiesFellow; Mar 5th 2013 at 9:41 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 6:54 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
I can totally sympathize. The few times it reached over 100 in New York, we'd shut ourselves in and feel so miserable. (In an old house with window air conditioning, it's not even possible to be cool inside). Actually, anything over 80 degrees made me miserable because it was always so humid, which meant I spent 3 months inside every year. I could never handle the Arizona heat.

Last summer was our first back in the UK. Everyone here was moaning about the weather but we had a blast. We spent every weekend exploring old castles, and pretty villages, and going on long country walks. Not once were we too hot. We made so many memories and packed more into one summer than we had in the previous 20. Brilliant!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sallysimmons;10586619]I can totally sympathize. The few times it reached over 100 in New York, we'd shut ourselves in and feel so miserable. (In an old house with window air conditioning, it's not even possible to be cool inside). Actually, anything over 80 degrees made me miserable because it was always so humid, which meant I spent 3 months inside every year. I could never handle the Arizona heat.

Last summer was our first back in the UK. Everyone here was moaning about the weather but we had a blast. We spent every weekend exploring old castles, and pretty villages, and going on long country walks. Not once were we too hot. We made so many memories and packed more into one summer than we had in the previous 20. Brilliant![/QUOTE]

I actually prefer the UK weather too and the rain doesn't bother me. The only seasons I like here in the US are Spring and Fall - winters are just too darn cold and summers too darn hot!! I spent way more time outdoors when I lived in the UK - still do when I got back to visit family and friends.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal

I actually prefer the UK weather too and the rain doesn't bother me. The only seasons I like here in the US are Spring and Fall - winters are just too darn cold and summers too darn hot!! I spent way more time outdoors when I lived in the UK - still do when I got back to visit family and friends.
When I was there in December, it was strange, being in LA seemed to have toughened me up to the cold, I found the weather crisp and beautiful and only needed a light jacket, the natives were moaning and groaning about the 'Arctic' temperatures.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
When I was there in December, it was strange, being in LA seemed to have toughened me up to the cold, I found the weather crisp and beautiful and only needed a light jacket, the natives were moaning and groaning about the 'Arctic' temperatures.
I have been reveling in the cooler weather in Florida for the past week (50s and 60s), while everyone else has been complaining about how cold it is and wearing boots and jackets Of course, these are the same people who will moan about the 95 degree heat with similar humidity level come summer
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

helendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Today we have 84F in Dallas. Not looking forward to another unbearably hot summer here. We listed our house this weekend so we are moving along, albeit slowly. Last March/April I spent two weeks in Northern Ireland. Snowdrops and daffodils and baby lambs in the fields. It was a glorious trip.
I hear you! We're in San Antonio and I dread the summers - months on end of lurching from one air-conditioned vehicle or building to another. I can't wait to be somewhere that I can *go outside* or maybe *open a window* now and again
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helendha
I hear you! We're in San Antonio and I dread the summers - months on end of lurching from one air-conditioned vehicle or building to another. I can't wait to be somewhere that I can *go outside* or maybe *open a window* now and again
I really do miss opening windows. I'm in Boston and while we do get spring and fall more than other states the humidity in the summer is disgusting. I hate having to sleep with the AC on but you have no choice. miss a warm night sleeping with the window open. And dont get me started on the winter. It always makes me laugh when my family back in the UK complain about the cold and 2 inches of snow when its -20 farenheit here and we're buried in at least 2 feet of snow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.