Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Things I've learned Since Being Back in the UK

Things I've learned Since Being Back in the UK

Old Nov 12th 2012, 6:57 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold
Default Things I've learned Since Being Back in the UK

Hi everyone! I know I haven't been around much lately. I haven't forgotten BE or the wonderful help I received here! My course is just taking over my life at the moment...

Anyway, I thought I'd just update with some things I've learned since being back here. It's just for fun, and hopefully I won't offend anyone.

1) How to pack a fridge properly. There's not a lot of space in the standard UK fridge, and learning to pack one correctly so that you get all the food in and don't cause leaks, spillage and other destruction is a good idea- especially if like me, you're used to the massive sea-faring vessel that is a US fridge.

2) How to cross the road like a Londoner: i.e, with styyyyyyle. Yup. I do it now- dodge cleverly into the street, narrowly avoiding busses and other pedestrians, and make it to the other side like I was just out for a little stroll in the garden, my hair's not mussed is it? These are no country roads chaps, these are busy South London thorofares and admittedly it scared the living daylights out of me the first time I did it. But it's now a necessary evil in the time of traffic-light crossings and late students.

3)Good quality food makes all the difference. This is a big one. I've been cooking entirely on my own for the first time this year (my mum used to help me out by doing the meats for me- now I'm on that job too.) It really is nice though knowing that not everything you buy in the frozen section has an obscene amount of calories, that your deli meat is still mostly meat, and that a chicken isn't easily mistaken for a turkey.

4) When you feel like you belong, you do. I like it here- people say I sound like a Londoner, and I've been on hyperdrive since I got off the plane learning my surroundings and the little cultural nods that they didn't have in america. It wasn't easy- I was shocked at first by the way people will discuss sex in perfectly innocent conversations without the slightest hint of selfconsciouness or naughtiness or anything- it's just matter of fact. Same with race, religion, politics and pretty much every thing else I was given to understand I must never to mention outside the house because it turns people into weirdos. Brits know how to laugh at themselves, and laugh they do. I've found that it's okay to have an irreverent sense of humour, although I still struggle with expressing myself after not really being able to for so long.

5) Going back to America to visit will be fun. Going back to live will be impossible. England's way too good. London's even better. I'd love to see the states again in a year, when I'm not half american anymore, when I don't remember what it feels like to have warm weather in the winter, when I can't remember what Macy's is. That's going to be amazing I think. For the time being, I need more time. I want to sort of wash away the 'before' and start knowing things about what's going on here, now, in this country.

6) I like rain. Which is good. Because that's what the weather does here. Seriously though, there are few things I like better than waking up to the sound of rain in the morning or falling asleep to it at night.

7) Life's bloody expensive, but you can eat at least. You can. If you're not too picky, food is really inexpensive- I spent £8 in the market, and got enough produce to last me two weeks and then some. I've got a fully stocked fruit bowl, and veg to boot. Nice. Oh, and BoB. Bring your own Bags! You definitely need sturdy ones because you either pay for plastic, or it tears on you on the way home.

8) Tea. Dear sweet Jane the tea. *sigh* I drink at least one cup every day. EVERY day. I didn't really believe that I'd ever develop a tea habit, but I find it comforting, comfortable, and a great way to avoid talking when you really don't want to a la: "I'll just go put the kettle on then..."

9) Hotdogs come in jars. It makes for easier opening. I actually really like the british/polish/general european version of hot dogs better than the all american ones. These ones might still have meat in them.

10) home is somewhere that makes you stop stressing about where you are, where you should be, and where you're going next, and that's just how I feel now that I'm here. I don't have that weird, anxiety in the back of my mind that I could actually "live" if I were somewhere else, I don't feel stifled or trapped anymore. In fact, I don't even think about where I am, or wanting to run away, or how much I want to "get out of here" or anything- I just think about cooking, or meeting up with friends, or doing coursework, I think about everything but, and no matter where I am, I can always find something I like about that little corner of the world. It's so different, and I love it.

Last edited by Tel8; Nov 12th 2012 at 7:49 pm. Reason: grrr- I put 'warm weather in the summer' 's not that bad!
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things I've learned Since Being Back in the UK

Sounds like you're enjoying the experience. Long may it continue.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha brilliant!
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning London.
Attached Thumbnails Things I've learned Since Being Back in the UK-article-2231897-15fd8850000005dc-199_964x476.jpg  
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:26 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Tel8, What a wonderful post. I am so glad that things are going so well and I love your enthusiasm
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:38 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tel8

10) home is somewhere that makes you stop stressing about where you are, where you should be, and where you're going next, and that's just how I feel now that I'm here. I don't have that weird, anxiety in the back of my mind that I could actually "live" if I were somewhere else, I don't feel stifled or trapped anymore. In fact, I don't even think about where I am, or wanting to run away, or how much I want to "get out of here" or anything- I just think about cooking, or meeting up with friends, or doing coursework, I think about everything but, and no matter where I am, I can always find something I like about that little corner of the world. It's so different, and I love it.
There's no place like home .......there's no place like home ............... there's no place like home .....
Old Nov 12th 2012, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, thank you - lovely post and for just 2/3 minutes I was back - oh well...back to lala land for now.

Glad your having fun
Old Nov 12th 2012, 10:42 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Thank you, thank you - lovely post and for just 2/3 minutes I was back - oh well...back to lala land for now.

Glad your having fun
Take another 2/3 minutes and imagine a bacon buttie, fish & chips, a pork pie, bacon, gravy on Yorkshire Puds, really good sausages, pasties, cake and scones and shortbread etc.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

Tel8

Thats a lovely post, being an ex londoner I laughed about crossing the road (you definitely brought back fond memories, I am a south london girl as well).

These are all the things I miss (apart from meat bits we are veggie's) and cannot wait to return to. We are in Arizona so understand about the heat!

Keep on enjoying the UK and life.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely post! Sounds like you have really embraced your new life and that will serve you very well in the future. What a beautiful definition of "home". All the best and thanks for sharing!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:44 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, Tel8. You know how to celebrate life!

Bev
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Loved reading this post, I so appreciate hearing from those who have moved back, both the good and bad.

Thanks!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:51 pm
Get me out of here ...

jeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond repute

home is somewhere that makes you stop stressing about where you are, where you should be, and where you're going next, and that's just how I feel now that I'm here. I don't have that weird, anxiety in the back of my mind that I could actually "live" if I were somewhere else, I don't feel stifled or trapped anymore. In fact, I don't even think about where I am, or wanting to run away, or how much I want to "get out of here" or anything- I just think about cooking, or meeting up with friends

That's beautiful. Thanks for putting into words how some of us are feeling!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear your update and your take on London, kind of sums it all up very well! Can't wait to get there and shop again! I feel like I am back in the 80's here in Canada! So glad you are happy
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Take another 2/3 minutes and imagine a bacon buttie, fish & chips, a pork pie, bacon, gravy on Yorkshire Puds, really good sausages, pasties, cake and scones and shortbread etc.
Thanks - Flights booked for Xmas - I'm going to enjoy my full English breakfast in the afternoon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.