Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Dec 10th 2013, 5:16 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Home ownership rate is also similar in the US, around 65%. I thought it would be higher to be honest.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 5:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
In Germany, it used to be very much harder to get a mortgage (don't know if that's still the case).
In the area my husband used to live it was very common to rent the basement and upper floors out...the family living on the ground floor.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Home ownership rate is also similar in the US, around 65%. I thought it would be higher to be honest.
Totally different market. More transient population. Huge correction in property values.

To quote an oft use phrase, "More bang for your buck."

Keep trying.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Did you think the streets were paved with gold?
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Population 1960 - 50 million, and forecast to fall to 40/45 million in 20 years.

Actual population 1970 - 55.6, 1980 - 56.3, 1990 - 57.2, 2000 -58.9.

Population 2010 - 63 million (plus estimated 1 million illegals) and forecast to increase to 75 million in 20 years.

Average household size 1960 3.1
Average household size 2010 1.8.

It is very simple arithmetic.

There may be hiccups, but property prices for ALL forms of tenure (ownership, rent, lease, sofa-surfing) will continue to rise until we build more houses.
Rents are NOT constrained by income when we lack several million homes.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Having spent the past 2.5 weeks in the UK (now back in NZ), apart from London I could not believe how well the UK seemed to be doing. So much choice, things so cheap as well as great assistance for first time buyers.

The UK is getting a lot of things right, it seems its mainly those on welfare, especially though who are not prepared to fend for themselves that are unhappy.

The main problem with the UK is the concentration of people in and around the south-east, total dump.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:27 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Did you think the streets were paved with gold?
No just the idea of the Great American Dream really.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by davros1984
Having spent the past 2.5 weeks in the UK (now back in NZ), apart from London I could not believe how well the UK seemed to be doing. So much choice, things so cheap as well as great assistance for first time buyers.

The UK is getting a lot of things right, it seems its mainly those on welfare, especially though who are not prepared to fend for themselves that are unhappy.

The main problem with the UK is the concentration of people in and around the south-east, total dump.
Oh god all that positivity wont go down at all well I agree though, the doom and gloom nonsense by and large is just that, nonsense. We have found most people to be happy and contented. The Daily Mail readers are a different matter though
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

While there is a concentration of people, it's far from a 'total dump'.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

The South East has too many people, London, especially Heathrow is a dump. What a miserable life living and working there.

Chris955 - I am a DM and telegraph reader
Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

The South East has too many people, London, especially Heathrow is a dump. What a miserable life living and working there.

Chris955 - I am a DM and telegraph reader
davros1984

We moved to SE Kent 5 years ago after having lived in Canada. We have not found the South East a dump to live. Our Canadian visitors over the last few years were impressed with our transport system, countryside, shopping and climate and lack of bugs in the summer.
My sons have had a good life here with many of their friends living in the local villages and having a good social life. Both have had good secondary education and now studying at the top UK universities. We have not found there are too many people, as there lots of nice areas to live without needing to live in a shoe box house. I must admit you get a different perspective about the UK once you have lived and worked overseas.

I found that having international work experience, good professional training and qualification has allowed us to have a high standard of living when we returned to the UK. I wonder how many of those complain about the UK have not really put in the amount of effort to capitalise on what this country can offer.

Hudd
Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:09 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Are you thinking of returning to Australia? If you are then, indeed, if it is the same, you are right to be concerned.
Are you thinking of returning to England?

Seems as much chance of Chris returning to Australia as you moving anywhere......
Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Are you thinking of returning to England?

Seems as much chance of Chris returning to Australia as you moving anywhere......
Oh goodness. Here he goes again. Dude, you made a bad decision, get over it, stop punishing yourself.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Oh goodness. Here he goes again. Dude, you made a bad decision, get over it, stop punishing yourself.
What bad decision?

I quite like it here and like the Uk when I am over there.

It seems that it is you who is unhappy.....Hence your trolling this forum

Grow some balls and move back if that is what you really want

I have the best of both worlds
Old Dec 10th 2013, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Grayling
What bad decision?

I quite like it here and like the Uk when I am over there.

It seems that it is you who is unhappy.....Hence your trolling this forum

Grow some balls and move back if that is what you really want

I have the best of both worlds
Oh come on now, be honest with yourself, it's the least you can do.

........ and try and get back on topic with a post of some substance, instead of the ad hominem attacks.

What do you think of the housing situation in the UK? I think a lot more of peoples income will be taken up in putting a roof over their heads, leaving less disposable income to grow the economy. IMHO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.