Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Scottish Independence - what would you vote?

View Poll Results: Should Scotland be an independent country?
Yes
39.76%
No
60.24%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Scottish Independence - what would you vote?

Old Sep 15th 2014, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence - what would you vote?

Originally Posted by Editha
I agree that Salmond does not talk sense on the EU. If Scotland wanted to join there is no reason to believe that it would not be set the same conditions as other new joining states, which would mean committing to joining the Euro, which is precisely why the question of the use of the pound is a side issue.
It's hardly a side issue for Scotland's banks given that their debts are largely denominated in pounds.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 8:42 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Please explain.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
... How can they be independent when another country is setting monetary policy? .
Ireland was, for roughly 50 years.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Please explain.
The largest banks (Lloyds and RBS) have already announced that they will move to London to retain the B of E as "lender of last resort" and to be able to take advantage of likely lower borrowing costs there. Additionally, their current assets and liabilities are sterling-denominated. If Scotland moves to the Euro, those banks' existing liabilities will still be sterling-denominated but any new lending in Scotland will presumably be Euro denominated. The issue is thus one of currency risk for the banks. This is not equivalent to what happened when the Euro came into force, because the currencies that it replaced ceased to exist, and existing liabilities/assets were converted into Euros.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The largest banks (Lloyds and RBS) have already announced that they will move to London to retain the B of E as "lender of last resort" and to be able to take advantage of likely lower borrowing costs there. Additionally, their current assets and liabilities are sterling-denominated. If Scotland moves to the Euro, those banks' existing liabilities will still be sterling-denominated but any new lending in Scotland will presumably be Euro denominated. The issue is thus one of currency risk for the banks. This is not equivalent to what happened when the Euro came into force, because the currencies that it replaced ceased to exist, and existing liabilities/assets were converted into Euros.
Good post. In addition, the disappearing currencies had all been pegged to negotiated euro equivalent values before the euro was adopted.

The pound would (will) continue to float against the euro.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Ireland was, for roughly 50 years.
Much of that time was during an era of fixed exchange rates, be it the Gold Standard or Bretton Woods. Really, only around 10 years were during the era of floating rates. The one to one equivalence between British and Irish pounds was really a "convenience" measure. By the time rates floated, Ireland had built up reserves to maintain parity. Otoh, it is true that when Britain devalued in the late '60's, Ireland did too.

And although the Irish pond was pegged to the British, they weren't fully interchangeable. Ireland accepted British currency, but the reverse wasn't generally true.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Sep 15th 2014 at 9:16 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 10:06 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. Does it really come down to questions of banking for you? That is really quite strange.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 10:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. Does it really come down to questions of banking for you? That is really quite strange.
Not really. For AS it all comes down to *anking too.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where did I say that?? I was merely pointing out that the currency issue is a significant one for the banks and hence by extension for the Scottish economy.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Up until now I have been undecided.
Now I would vote Yes. Not because of some ideal of independance, simply because as English born living in England I want to get rid of the whining Scots.
I became decided when I heard British political parties offering all kinds of sweeties for the Scots to stay. How is this right and fair to the English.
Should I have to move north of the border to get sweeties too?

I am fed up with hearing some (note I say some) Scots crowing about how they want to be free. Well bugger off and be free and don't bother us ever again.

Last edited by J.JsOH; Sep 16th 2014 at 9:16 am.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
I became decided when I heard British political parties offering all kinds of sweeties for the Scots to stay. How is this right and fair to the English.
I think that is quite an important point... if there is a 'no' vote and many additional powers are devolved, I think there could well be widespread dissent in England about that.

I can't see how that could happen and we would continue to tolerate Scottish MPs in Westminster voting on matters that do not affect them.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 8:13 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Up until now I have been undecided.
Now I would vote Yes. Not because of some ideal of independance, simply because as English born living in England I want to get rid of the whining Scots.

I am fed up with hearing some Scots crowing about how they want to be free. Well bugger off and be free and don't bother us ever again.
If I were in your shoes I would feel the same way too, just as I did in Canada when Quebec whined. If I thought a yes vote would put an end to the incessant whining I might be tempted to my 'x' in that box, but I doubt the whining will stop.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
If I were in your shoes I would feel the same way too, just as I did in Canada when Quebec whined. If I thought a yes vote would put an end to the incessant whining I might be tempted to my 'x' in that box, but I doubt the whining will stop.
Right, I feel that a yes vote will torture us all with years of 'negotiation' as a seperating Scotland tries to take as many things with them as they can grab. Similar with a no vote.
It all puts me off visiting Scotland ever again.
Fortunately there is a haggis manufacturer here in Norfolk and a Whisky distiller (although can't stand whisky myself)

Last edited by J.JsOH; Sep 16th 2014 at 9:24 am.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:23 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever the outcome I wish it would be followed by an embargo on having to see Alex Salmond, Alistair Darling, Nicola Sturgeon and Gordon Brown on telly. I'm sick of the sight of them.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 12:43 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Whatever the outcome I wish it would be followed by an embargo on having to see Alex Salmond, Alistair Darling, Nicola Sturgeon and Gordon Brown on telly. I'm sick of the sight of them.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.