Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Scottish Independence - what would you vote?

View Poll Results: Should Scotland be an independent country?
Yes
39.76%
No
60.24%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Scottish Independence - what would you vote?

Old Sep 8th 2014, 5:44 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottih Independence - what would you vote?

Originally Posted by mdizzle
I'm sure we could negate the cost of my proposed second referendum by no longer subsidising he Royal family to the tune of millions per year.
Maybe we could replace them with the Royle Family? They'd be cheaper ...
Old Sep 8th 2014, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence - what would you vote?

We will never get rid of the Royal Family!!!
Old Sep 8th 2014, 5:53 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Maybe we could replace them with the Royle Family? They'd be cheaper ...
Especially now Nana and Twiggy are gone.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Well it certainly wouldn't be the first time a smaller country has been invaded by the UK for dubious purposes, would it?

If Scotland were to vote Yes, I'd want another referendum on the Royal family. Hopefully we could also get rid of one of the most backwards parts of British society.
Would you still keep the Royal Family after independence?
Old Sep 8th 2014, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Would you still keep the Royal Family after independence?
Of course not. What possible purpose would they serve?
Old Sep 8th 2014, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Of course not. What possible purpose would they serve?
None whatsoever, but I wondered why you wanted a further referendum.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure we could negate the cost of my proposed second referendum by no longer subsidising he Royal family to the tune of millions per year.
I have no time for the Royal Family, but even I am convinced that they pay for themselves in terms of the tourism they draw to Britain.

As for Scotland I'd vote "yes" so they could no longer blame England for everything.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I have no time for the Royal Family, but even I am convinced that they pay for themselves in terms of the tourism they draw to Britain.
Not a good reason to keep them in my view.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

As for Scotland I'd vote "yes" so they could no longer blame England for everything.
I don't think that's a valid reason at all. Also replace 'Britain' with 'London'.

If you were to accept that as being a valid reason for having a monarchy, you would only need to look at how many visitors Versailles achieves each year. Get rid of the monarchy, open up Buckingham palace completely to tourists (charge them extortionate amounts to enter) and I don't think any less people will come.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 7:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that's a valid reason at all. Also replace 'Britain' with 'London'.

If you were to accept that as being a valid reason for having a monarchy, you would only need to look at how many visitors Versailles achieves each year. Get rid of the monarchy, open up Buckingham palace completely to tourists (charge them extortionate amounts to enter) and I don't think any less people will come.
I'm certain that lesser people would come, but likely not fewer.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I was referring to your claim that a referendum would be paid for by eliminating the cost of the Royal Family. I doubt the economics would work out that way. I do agree that economics is a poor reason to retain them.

Many foreign tourists do get out of 'London" btw.

Buckingham Palace ain't no Versailles. I visited the latter to see the Hall of Mirrors, one of the most amazing rooms in the world and the place where the Treaty of Versailles was signed. I'm sure some would come to visit Buckingham Palace - especially initially - but the perceived "mystique" of the Royal Family undoubtedly helps draw visitors to Britain.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
My friend who lives in Newton Stewart is a staunch Scottish person. She is firmly for independence. During my stay with her during the summer I had to listen to derogatory comments about the English (but she is 82 and it didn't change my relationship with her). and I think she forgets I was born in England! I kept quiet but am mixed on this myself. Don't think I'm well enough informed to make a decision yet. But I will vote. As an Englishman would say no. But as a Scot I'm not sure. I just believe consequences have not been clearly thought through.. If Scotland gains Independence wonder what will become of the "United Kingdom"? No longer united so......
Sounds like my sister and my brother-in-law. They both live in Scotland and are voting yes (unlike the rest of my family, aunt and several cousins) who are voting no. My sister and brother-in-law despise the English and are always complaining about them. I tune them out when I go to visit them - usually say I have a headache and want an early night! I really don't understand them, especially my brother-in-law. His late father was an Englishman (born and raised in Yorkshire). I voted no on the BE poll. I hope it doesn't pass.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Sounds like my sister and my brother-in-law. They both live in Scotland and are voting yes (unlike the rest of my family, aunt and several cousins) who are voting no. My sister and brother-in-law despise the English and are always complaining about them. I tune them out when I go to visit them - usually say I have a headache and want an early night! I really don't understand them, especially my brother-in-law. His late father was an Englishman (born and raised in Yorkshire). I voted no on the BE poll. I hope it doesn't pass.
The debate is supposed to be about issues relating to Scotland being part of the UK (a country) or separate (an independent country). Instead, all you hear is "Tories", "English", "Cameron", "Westminster", "Thatcher" (Yes, even on her deathbed she still has use for the SNP) - in other words all the emotive person-centred words that stir the belly and dull the common sense just enough to ignore the lack of a real plan.

I worry about the very divisive effect of the referendum, regardless of what is the outcome.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dunroving

I worry about the very divisive effect of the referendum, regardless of what is the outcome.
Yes.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 11:50 pm
Banned

NEWCOMO is an unknown quantity at this point

There is more for the rest of the UK if Scotland is independent.

1. More Debt v Population
2. Pound will fall against major currencies
3. Great Britain will not exist. Political issues, EU, NATO, Globally.
4. Britain will not exist... Embassies etc
5. Northern Ireland. Westminster will be weak. NI will be up next for a reunited Ireland since the republics(Catholics) outnumber all unionists. (prods).
6. Wales will seek its chance in 600 years.
7. England with 55M pop, will be saddled with Bank of England known debts of 1.4tn GBP...
8., England will go bust-.civil war, end of monarchy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.