Scottish bank account

Old Jul 7th 2020, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scottish bank account

I do not have a UK address & when I moved to Spain did no longer need to keep a Bank account in England.If I move to Scotland from here,is it the same process where I need to produce utilities bills to open a Bank account?I understand that a Solicitor may take a Bank transfer as a deposit on a property but would that then entitle me to get a Bank account? My Scandinavian Bank manager here nearly fell off his chair with laughter when I told him.He said he could set me up with an account in Sweden etc. as his country & many others would be glad to take my cash.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish bank account

https://www.alrayanbank.co.uk

are quite accommodating. They have a branch in Glasgow. Formerly known as "The Islamic Bank".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Rayan_Bank
Old Jul 7th 2020, 6:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
I do not have a UK address & when I moved to Spain did no longer need to keep a Bank account in England. If I move to Scotland from here,is it the same process where I need to produce utilities bills to open a Bank account? ....
Yeah, pretty much - prove your identity (name, DOB) and "home" address.

The rules are pretty much international and global - countries banking systems have largely signed up for the same set of international rules for identifying their customers and opening accounts (with notable exceptions such as North Korea) so to open an account, some sort of identifying government issued ID document, such as a passport or driving licence, and a couple of pieces of offical looking mail, such as a utility bill, are going to be de rigueur no matter where the bank is located.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that,did imagine it would be similar.I can obviously produce a passport & an out of date driving licence issued in UK or an ID document but issued abroad.Don't even have my birth certificate,just an extract from a register stating where,when I was born & Mother's name.Do you think that would suffice if I say I blame it on the Luftwaffe for bombing our house!Perhaps I shall have to rent for 3 months initially to establish better my credentials by showing utility bills.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 2:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that,did imagine it would be similar.I can obviously produce a passport & an out of date driving licence issued in UK or an ID document but issued abroad.Don't even have my birth certificate,just an extract from a register stating where,when I was born & Mother's name.Do you think that would suffice if I say I blame it on the Luftwaffe for bombing our house!Perhaps I shall have to rent for 3 months initially to establish better my credentials by showing utility bills.
The passport should be sufficient personal ID, but you will need a proof of address, such as a utility bill. If you can get your DL reissued, that would have your address on it and might suffice. Could you get your sister to add your name to something at her address? ... It doesn't actually need to be your address, just one that the bank will accept as being yours.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Gypsy888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
https://www.alrayanbank.co.uk

are quite accommodating. They have a branch in Glasgow. Formerly known as "The Islamic Bank".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Rayan_Bank
Yes, I had to take my rental agreement,utility bill, passport and a letter from my employer proving I had employment. Can't believe the amount of hoop jumping we've had to go through! It's not like I wanted a loan, you'd think the bank would have been glad to 'store' my money for me wouldn't you?
Old Jul 8th 2020, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Gypsy888
Yes, I had to take my rental agreement,utility bill, passport and a letter from my employer proving I had employment. Can't believe the amount of hoop jumping we've had to go through! It's not like I wanted a loan, you'd think the bank would have been glad to 'store' my money for me wouldn't you?
Your bank is just concerned that you and your money might not be squeaky clean, as they want no part of laundering money for you.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

My sister is in England,so that wouldn't help with a Scottish Bank.My daughter in Scotland sadly died & my granddaughter,although in Scotland,is young & I would not want to involve her.I will figure out a way,after all I survived relocating to other more"foreign" countries.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 2:23 pm

My sister is in England,so that wouldn't help with a Scottish Bank.My daughter in Scotland sadly died & my granddaughter,although in Scotland,is young & I would not want to involve her.I will figure out a way,after all I survived relocating to other more"foreign" countries.
Contrary to popular rumour "north of the border", the UK is still one country, , and with the banking system of the entire UK supervised and regulated by the Bank of England in London (the Bank of Scotland was (before merging with Halifax, though the branding has been retained in Scotland) a regular retail and commercial bank that had no regulatory or supervisory role). So you should experience no problem at all in giving an addess in England when opening an account with a "Scottish" bank.

I would also point out that Lloyds bank actually has its head office registered in Scotland, as does Nat West as a subsidairy of the Royal Bank of Scotland, and as did Halifax-Bank of Scotland (HBOS) before it failed, even though Halifax was by far the larger of the two banks pre-merger. In any case the failed HBOS was absorbed into Lloyds, so is still a "Scottish bank".

So, in conclusion, Anglo-Scottish "cross-border" banking is an utter non-issue.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 9th 2020 at 2:33 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Banking in UK is unitary, as Pulaski says.