Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Trying to get flights rebooked with BA

Trying to get flights rebooked with BA

Old Apr 29th 2020, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trying to get flights rebooked with BA

Thought this was kind of the place to post this as an attempted 'returning' rover.

Not sure if anybody else is having problems with this. We departed the UK in February to live in the Caribbean but were on a return ticket. The return flight (for a brief UK stay earlier this month) was cancelled by BA, as was our fresh return ticket LGW/Grenada/LGW in its entirety.

For the fresh return ticket, we have received a voucher which we will use in due course, however BA would not refund anything (voucher or otherwise) regarding the now unused return portion of our ticket so we have tried to re-book that portion to August.

To complicate things further, our booking numbers disappeared from our BA records when the flights cancelled so we can't check progress.

I called BA earlier this month and set up that re-booking and they said that they would send it to an area of price-checking and would revert - they never did. I followed-up yesterday and after five phone-calls, was finally able to reach a body who could help. He said that the booking to August had already been made - was not sure why I hadn't been told.

However, there was money owing because August was a higher price category - I would like to argue that but how could I really. So I have given card details to settle the amount and advised that I would be awaiting a confirm. Nothing has been pended on my card and I have received no confirm again and there is nothing on my BA record. It is getting really tiresome and exhausting and Immigration here in Grenada naturally want details of a return ticket when we visit them later today.

Has anybody else had similar with a partially used ticket (re-booking an entire ticket for a cancelled flight is now easy) and found that it does end up getting sorted out eventually WITHOUT endless calling to follow-up. I fully appreciate that BA are under a great deal of pressure right now but it seems strange that stuff just gets pended as it ends up often INCREASING the call and work burden for them. Thanks!

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 29th 2020 at 11:25 am. Reason: Has anybody else had similar with a partially used ticket
Old Apr 30th 2020, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to get flights rebooked with BA

Nothing happened with my booking supposedly made/finalised a couple of days ago. No charge to my card and nothing on my BA record and no email, so I called them again just now and finally got through to a sales agent.

She checked my record history and said that BA had a policy change two?? days ago such that changes to bookings made due to BA flight cancellations were at no charge, which suggests that the extra charges that the agent had told me of two days ago were change FEES - even though I was forced to call BA (who cancelled my flight) to make a return flight booking because there was no access to any booking reference through their Manage My Booking feature - bunch of crooks!

IF one chooses to upgrade at this ''opportunity", the (telephone) change fees still apply.

Upshot is that I have my new bookings confirmed by email, incl previously paid for specific seats. Now I can take a rest.

Grenada Immigration took my verbal representations regarding the BA cancelled flights and my intended re-booking date to late August.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 30th 2020 at 1:30 pm.
Old May 1st 2020, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Pistolpete!
Old May 1st 2020, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Good luck Pistolpete!
Thanks! Hopefully our flight to the UK on August 26th actually materialises and we are able to freely travel to France (Tours) on Ryanair on August 29th for onwards for a couple of weeks. Who knows? I guess nobody knows what air travel from here will be like by late August.
Old May 5th 2020, 11:02 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Been through similar problems with two different trips. After being persistent, finally got money back instead of unwanted vouchers. Put me off travel for the time being. Good luck with it all.
Old May 6th 2020, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Too much travelling has been going on. The Coronavirus has brought us back to our senses. No need to travel so much ! Stay where you are ! Says I after 30+ years of using planes like some people used London Buses !

I am struggling to get a refund too - not from BA. Ryanair do not like giving out money.
Old May 6th 2020, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mallory
Been through similar problems with two different trips. After being persistent, finally got money back instead of unwanted vouchers. Put me off travel for the time being. Good luck with it all.
Tried to deal with our additional unwanted vouchers earlier this week but simply could not reach an active BA desk in sales. Calls are on auto disconnect again.

So have re-thought it and decided NO, will use the retroactive extended life given by BA on vouchers now to March 2022. Maybe by then travel will make more sense, though runs to the Caribbean out of Gatwick look more uncertain by the day. Maybe Virgin's withdrawal from Gatwick as of yesterday will crystallize things for BA on the overall run.

It's critical for visiting and supporting our elderly family and to attend to affairs in the Islands. That's mainly why we are here, though can't 'get' the 150 miles back to St Lucia.
Old May 9th 2020, 2:19 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Tried to deal with our additional unwanted vouchers earlier this week but simply could not reach an active BA desk in sales. Calls are on auto disconnect again.

So have re-thought it and decided NO, will use the retroactive extended life given by BA on vouchers now to March 2022. Maybe by then travel will make more sense, though runs to the Caribbean out of Gatwick look more uncertain by the day. Maybe Virgin's withdrawal from Gatwick as of yesterday will crystallize things for BA on the overall run.

It's critical for visiting and supporting our elderly family and to attend to affairs in the Islands. That's mainly why we are here, though can't 'get' the 150 miles back to St Lucia.

We were in Tobago last December, with very few flights from Europe coming in with collapse of Thomas Cook. They were struggling then, goodness knows what this mess will do. We were on a cruise in February, with a stop in St Lucia - was very nice. I guess you can’t get back in at this time. Do you have to leave Grenada?
Old May 9th 2020, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

We were in Tobago last December, with very few flights from Europe coming in with collapse of Thomas Cook. They were struggling then, goodness knows what this mess will do. We were on a cruise in February, with a stop in St Lucia - was very nice. I guess you can’t get back in at this time. Do you have to leave Grenada?
There are no flights at all in this region at the moment other than for couriers.

We are ok with Grenada Immigration for the time-being as they obviously understand the predicament of those who have had their return flights cancelled. So we have stay extensions into September on the expectation that we will be able to get out on our flights booked for late August. Normally they require a return ticket but they don't seem to be that agitated if one can't give a date of departure at the moment.

So we are 'happy' with our continued curfew here - three shopping days a week and allowed out to exercise on those three days. Our planned flights back to the UK were to see family BUT to also retrieve ID documents and a change of clothes which are in storage, but that will have to wait for now.

I would expect to see something from BA in the next three weeks as to what sort of operation they plan for the period to March 2021, particularly in this region. However, the Bermuda newspapers yesterday suggested that the Bermuda Government have had indication from BA that any restart from the region, which are ALL Gatwick flights, which incl Bermuda, would mean future flights are into Heathrow. I'm sure that could change though if major airlines see enough critical mass overall to continue at Gatwick, with some arm twisting.

I did get a response from BA by email after a couple of weeks to my email to them in desperation, trying to get those flights re-booked - which has now been done on the phone (as per #2 above). HOWEVER, they said they couldn't respond properly without further ID info under data protection - going round in circles there.

As of today, the UK is saying that those arriving by air will have to self-isolate for two weeks, to which airlines have responded that there is NO WAY they will operate under such circumstances. Not sure how long that Government plan might have roughly been intended to be in place for. Maybe ONE DAY after a big reaction.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 9th 2020 at 9:33 am.
Old May 9th 2020, 3:16 pm
In the pink

You may be stuck in Grenada so long that you will be eligible for citizenship. LOL.
Old May 9th 2020, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

You may be stuck in Grenada so long that you will be eligible for citizenship. LOL.
Well there are worse places to be on lock-down - so long as we can get supplies of fish and rum in, it is ok for now. Prime Minister is coming onto the media tomorrow evening to tell us all what his plans are for taking Grenada out of this...

Wife is a St Lucian so just needs to keep her passport up to date and we can stay as we wish under OECS free movement. Who knows?

Would not want to put any money on how fast tourism overall returns to this region. However, BA fills all three classes on this run so one would think that they are interested in returning ASAP, with a little tweaking.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 9th 2020 at 4:30 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

An update on this.

At this point there is no sign of Grenada actually opening its doors to flights other than with passengers needing a pre-flight test and then going into 14 days quarantine PERIOD, so no flights in and therefore out on the horizon.

I guess the Government are looking at the increases in cases in the US and waiting to see how other islands get on with opening up before they risk going from currently ZERO cases and ZERO fatalities to something that could cost lives.

St Lucia (which is the BA stop-over on route to Grenada) has now set-up protocols for passengers and crew such that there a pre-approved hotels and a pre-flight testing routine adjusted to 7 days prior to flight to make it feasible for US passengers to travel.

As a result, air services are due to re-start later this month. BA are operating twice-weekly from early August. Crew are exempt from testing unless they show symptoms.

As for us, we have had three UK or inter-island BA flights cancelled out of here and await another shortly. So we have vouchers to spend by April 30th 2022.

After spending two hours on the phone trying to get and then getting an agent I was able to re-book our departure originally booked for April 8th 2020 to February 10th 2021 which is the LAST possible flight for it to fit into ONE YEAR from UK departure.

One ends up getting to agents that are typically working from home so they are not able to 'sign off' on anything and one then has to wait weeks for the flights to actually be confirmed and the adjusted (down) vouchers to be confirmed.

We had planned to cruise back to Europe out of the US as our return there next year on a Black Friday special but now can't bring ourselves to entertain the idea (magnificent offer though it was) so the adjusted ticket to February 10th (above) comes in handy.

At this point, it is really tough booking any sort of commitment and we were trying to transit Gatwick to the Algarve in Feb as what seems a reasonable choice for late winter - but gosh who knows what could be coming in terms of a second or third wave and a vaccine and which borders will be open then. Just have to hope St Lucia or Barbados make a success of it so we can get to a near-certain flight.

Bottom line, it is easier to get hold of BA these days to get an agent to assist - last call I got an agent almost immediately - but the whole process of dealing with flight cancellations and using the vouchers one then ends up getting is extremely long-winded and protracted.

We have to leave Grenada by the end of February IF we have not been off-island before that, in line with a maximum stay of ONE YEAR, with no extensions permitted.

It is vital to prepare a spreadsheet to hold the details of booking references, voucher numbers and the original price paid, all of which are required each and every time one calls - times two for spouse if on a separate booking.

I have another spreadsheet to cover our European itinerary so that it is clear how many days we are in the Schengen area in any given six month period post-Brexit transition period.

It's a tough one when one wants to spend only a max of 60 (say) days in the UK and still be in Europe + from February to the end of October, so France, Ireland, Morocco or Tunisia or maybe even Turkey have to fit in and all within a budget to make sense of it all.

For us, after copious amounts of research, that means only the UK, France (Brittany*), Portugal and Morocco, having further checked prices.

The aim is a cost-effective routine to keep all family in the picture, makes the most of seasons, get me out of bed every day, and give the UK a rest for the next couple of years before we make a final decision.

*We have ONE place that works and has worked for us price-wise in Brittany though France at a push on a budget - drink 75 cl bottled cider and eat from prix fixe special menus and use buses - UNLESS you can find a restaurant that offers three GOOD courses, and wine and coffee for 15 Euros or less, in which case it probably gets close to Portugal

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jul 11th 2020 at 12:02 pm. Reason: The aim is a cost-effective routine to keep all family in the picture,
Old Jul 11th 2020, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

I should add that I was encouraged to take the plunge and spend part of the vouchers now by the BA Booking with Confidence arrangement which has been extended to bookings made before August 31st, 2020 for travel completed by April 30th, 2021 - good at least for the Portugal (Faro) part if not for the post-Ramadan (May) Morocco part.

At least I'm able to keep going forward with BA vouchers and can use them for what would have been roughly an existing planned itinerary as opposed to getting the cash as Mallory did. which would have been nice too.

Actually, I'm finding being loyal to BA works too as I'm still concerned that other carriers might be packing us in like sardines so I've cut back the itinerary to avoid crossing as many borders as possible and thereby in the process reduced flights too. Club Europe is also only marginally more expensive than economy on some flights bearing in mind that we have at least two check-in bags each. All good Covid-19 precautions IMHO.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jul 11th 2020 at 2:29 pm.