Reigate or Redhill?

Old Aug 13th 2009, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reigate or Redhill?

Originally Posted by The Aviator
We used to live in Brockham, it is now reputed to be the most expensive village in Surrey to live in. Shame I still don't have the houses there anymore.
It's that darn village green that does it! How dare it be so cute and picturesque with a church and pub and a post office? And then, of course, the fireworks.

I like Brockham too
Old Aug 13th 2009, 5:26 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
It's that darn village green that does it! How dare it be so cute and picturesque with a church and pub and a post office? And then, of course, the fireworks.

I like Brockham too
Two pubs on the green - Bonfire night was mayhem. Everyone always wanted to visit then so they had somewhere to park and go afterwards for refreshments. Buckland is pretty nice as well, but getting up their in prices too.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Bonfire night was mayhem.
Oh absolutely - hell if you lived there, and had a life, and needed to get anywhere. But everyone else within a 30 mile radius loved it. I found a good view from the top of Boxhill often worked well
Old Aug 13th 2009, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

goingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Reigate or Redhill?

Depends on your budget. Given the choice Reigate, it is more sophisticated, Redhill is like an over sized council estate. Went to school there but would never have lived there. Snobbish I know, but it is what it is.

Look at outlying villages such as Oxted, Merstham, Nutfield. South Park & Woodhatch near Reigate are not quite so pricey and OK.
Would definately recommend a look at Oxted or Westerham (short drive to Oxted train station), which is just down the road from where we have moved back too. Good schools and very green, clean and tidy. House prices are fair, but like anywhere, if you want to be near a good school, you may need to pay a little more.

Good Luck
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:48 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lumines
Julie, Epsom & Ewell sounds lovely from what you’ve said, and the good schools sound great, but the thing that worries me is Epsom & Ewell High School – it sounds terrible from its ofsted report – is it really as bad as it sounds?
E & E High had a pretty bad reputation at one point, but they recently got a new "super headteacher" in and the school has improved big time. But this school is at the far end of Ewell (as if you are going out towards Chessington). If you are living in Ewell Village itself, it's a couple of miles away so not one that you would immediately think of sending your child to.

As another poster said, you will have to move into the area and then put your name down for a school place rather than the other way round.
I was living in Brisbane for just 3 months back in 2006. I gave up my youngest daughters school place at Blenheim High at the end of August that year. She had just finished Year 9. When we came back we presumed that she could just fit straight back in to Year 10, but the headteacher said that wasn't possible. My daughter was distraught as all her friends were there. I went to the education department at the local council and within a couple of days got a phone call from the head to say that my daughter could get back into school there. (I knew that no one had taken her place while we were away and used that as my trump card!).
As I've said before, Ewell is in the middle of some fab schools, both state and private so you should have no problem getting your daughter a place.
When you get over this way, feel free to give me a shout and I'll gladly show you around

Julie. x
Old Aug 15th 2009, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

lumines has a spectacular aura aboutlumines has a spectacular aura aboutlumines has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone for these suggestions, it’s really good to hear from people with actual local knowledge. An extra problem I have though is that I have to make sure that wherever we choose is reasonably convenient for Reading (no more than a 90 minute commute) as well as Victoria. For this reason, I have to dismiss places near to the Kent border, as well as anywhere that’s a bit too far south.

Ann, yes, we will be going back this academic year – January. Like you, I’m expecting that the Priory will be the one we’re offered if we go to Dorking, so we’ll visit there and see what it’s like. I’m worried about the Warwick, and I think for that reason alone we’ll have to avoid Reigate.

Julie, you have reassured me about E & E High. As you say, there are so many great schools in the area - I’m hoping that just one will have a place. Again, maybe once we visit the schools next month, we’ll get a better idea of what the situation will be. I’m glad it worked out for you back in 2006 anyway – and thank you for your offer to show me round, I will definitely take you up on that

I feel like I’ve done all the research into Surrey that I can, there’s no more I can do really until we visit next month. Thanks again everyone for your help and good wishes
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

greenlaker is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to live in Brockham too.. many years ago, remember the fireworks, well sort of.. hic.. always had a damm good party! As for areas, Dorking yes, used to live there aswell, nice town loads of shops. Agree with others Reigate over Redhill for sure. Dorking has main line rail to Victoria, try North Holmwood it's on the outskirts of Dorking and a little cheaper but nice. Horsham is quite nice too, and you don't get the Gatwick noise like Horley!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

lumines has a spectacular aura aboutlumines has a spectacular aura aboutlumines has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by greenlaker
I used to live in Brockham too.. many years ago, remember the fireworks, well sort of.. hic.. always had a damm good party! As for areas, Dorking yes, used to live there aswell, nice town loads of shops. Agree with others Reigate over Redhill for sure. Dorking has main line rail to Victoria, try North Holmwood it's on the outskirts of Dorking and a little cheaper but nice. Horsham is quite nice too, and you don't get the Gatwick noise like Horley!

Thanks for these suggestions - funnily enough, I'm researching Horsham and Billingshurst at the moment, and also Wokingham - I think I'll start new threads about them though!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Ewell High didn't have a particularly good reptuation when I was at school....but then neither did mine (Lintons Lane ). I did 6th form at Rosebery and most of the girls there had been groomed for uni - however, it was a few years ago now so has all probably changed!

With Horley you just have to pick your spot - we lived on Langshott and never had too much aircraft noise and the planes didn't fly over us (apart from the odd rouge one!). My friend lives in Copthorne and I would say it's noiser there.

Hope you have a good trip and recci.

KK
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:07 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
Ewell High didn't have a particularly good reptuation when I was at school....but then neither did mine (Lintons Lane ).

KK
Lintons Lane aka Scrubbers Lane! Yes, I remember it well I was there from 75-79.

Julie. x
Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I was there 74-78 and then did 6th form at Roseberry! You must have been in the year below me then?

Oh soooo long ago now....!

KK
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reigate or Redhill?

Reigate is my home town, as old as the Doomsday book when it was named Churchfield, even has a castle, just a couple of old rocks now since Oliver Cromwell had his way with it.

Got laid several times in Reigate Priory.

I used to be a barman at the Angel pub many moons ago when the landlord, a bloke by the name of Bob White, used to own it.

Reigate was a happy hunting ground spent a large portion of my youth there.

I went to school in Redhill at the Redstone Secondary Modern School for Boys, now named Warwick school (I think) down Noke Drive.

Given the choice Reigate is a winner every time, Redhill is only there because of the railways and by comparison to Reigate is a new town, only 110 years old.

The rail network for Town from Redhill is excellent, but parking is a bugger.

I remember with fondness chaps coming from the trains in their bowler hats and even the fact that steam trains were used on the line.

Happy days!

Need lots of pounds for Reigate, suggest you also give Merstham a miss. Coulsdon and Purley are relatively nice.

Horley, afraid to say, is a bit of a dump with Gatwick aircraft noise +++

Last edited by Nice Guy; Aug 24th 2009 at 8:13 am. Reason: Another spilling mistake
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Reigate is my home town, as old as the Doomsday book when it was named Churchfield, even has a castle, just a couple of old rocks now since Oliver Cromwell had his way with it.

Got laid several times in Reigate Priory.

I used to be a barman at the Angel pub many moons ago when the landlord, a bloke by the name of Bob White, used to own it.

Reigate was a happy hunting ground spent a large portion of my youth there.

I went to school in Redhill at the Redstone Secondary Modern School for Boys, now named Warwick school (I think) down Noke Drive.

Given the choice Reigate is a winner every time, Redhill is only there because of the railways and by comparison to Reigate is a new town, only 110 years old.

The rail network for Town from Redhill is excellent, but parking is a bugger.

I remember with fondness chaps coming from the trains in their bowler hats and even the fact that steam trains were used on the line.

Happy days!

Need a lots of pounds for Reigate, suggest you also give Merstham a miss. Coulsdon and Purley are relatively nice.

Horley, afraid to say, is a bit of a dump with Gatwick aircraft noise +++
Coulsdon & Purley are both really nice but are to close to Croydon which is not a very nice area anymore.
Tadwoth and Epsom Downs are great areas but no high school, most commute to either Dorking, Epsom or Leatherhead.