Bit of a blow

Old Aug 22nd 2009, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bit of a blow

I had 3 opportunities in the UK lining up nicely. One was withdrawn completely, and now I find out last night that one has been downgraded, so my skills are way above what is required, agent reckons it's a ploy to get greater skills at a cheaper salary, but even if they still paid what I am after I still wouldn't want it as it's been downgraded to a level that I used to be involved with 10yrs ago.

I've got one more iron in the fire and won't know anything until at least a week on Tues (by 'anything' I mean if I get an interview). Had a good chat with the three agents I'm working with in the UK (I have strong relationships with their Sydney offices so I haven't had to 'prove' myself to the UK agents).

Basically they're all saying the same thing, that it would be much easier to get role once I'm in the UK, BUT those roles have to be there in the first place, and for what I do at my level it's pretty slim pickings at the moment. Two of them said my ability to be in the UK at relatively short notice (4wks) will work for me, because most of my UK counterparts are on 12 wks notice.

The consensus seems to be that it might be better to wait here, secure video interviews etc and deal with the first round stuff whilst still earning here, then come over for final stages. The other option they all agree on is if coming with no role, Feb 2010 would be better than Oct/Nov 09.

Hard to know what to do really. Advantages of staying here until Feb are:

Mrs Triboy has company.
We can work through her visa process together.
A fair bit more money in our pocket, through me still earning (I'm on a pretty good wicket here salary wise) and of course not paying double rent with me there and her here.
I'll probably get more support from my boss in terms of references and contacts if I give her a longer term departure plan (she knows I want to go).
Mrs Triboy and I will be apart for less time.

Disadvantages are:

Have to stay here longer.
I might miss a great opportunity.

Mum won't be happy.

Tough being a grown up isn't it.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 2:02 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of a blow

Yes it is tough being a grown up.
It's only a few weeks, if you can send your Mum something really nice for Christmas do you think she'll still be annoyed?
Or you could go right around Christmas time and be in between Nov 2009 and Feb 2010
Gawd now I don't feel sorry for you at all, at least you sent your first boxes and you are going in the foreseeable future
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 8:17 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

OH found it much easier once we got back here.
To be honest, i think these agents are full of BS. They keep you hanging on a string promising all sorts when the truth is they are not interested until you are here and ready to start work. OH had umpteen promises of this and that, but in reality until we got here nothing happened. Once we did arrive he had offers coming out of his ears due to his experience and specialities.

Best of luck mate
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

I tried applying for jobs whilst I was still in Aus and didn't even get a nibble, they were not interested in me until I got here and started applying with UK contact details this month.

Also you have to go through this whole process if you are using a recruiter where you have to show your passports etc to check that you are entitled to work here. So that would be a lot harder to do from O/S.

Generally the situation is really tight, it has tightened up in Aus as well (but we all already had jobs there so didn't have to look I guess) and not being available for a short notice interview and a quick start definitely make you less attractive to the hiring manager.

Having to wait until Feb is a shame though, but maybe by then things will be on the improve here also, and you can't put a dollar value on coming over with your wife, that will be much better for both of you.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

That makes me feel better we need to sell the house in NZ, (40 viewings in 2 weeks no bites) and wait for Dogs 6 month on rabies jab earliest is Jan no bites on job front and getting more down each day. My boss found out on Monday from someone in HR who was told confidentaly so really p***ed off and I have another 5- 6months yet!

do not even want to think of Christmas in a place I am not happy
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk
That makes me feel better we need to sell the house in NZ, (40 viewings in 2 weeks no bites) and wait for Dogs 6 month on rabies jab earliest is Jan no bites on job front and getting more down each day. My boss found out on Monday from someone in HR who was told confidentaly so really p***ed off and I have another 5- 6months yet!

do not even want to think of Christmas in a place I am not happy
Hang in there. I haven't spent a Xmas in Oz for 5 yrs as I go home or somewhere else cold, however if I have to stay until Feb it could mean I have to have Xmas here as it would be a waste of $$ to go on a trip so close to leaving and that could put a dent in my plans for a nice shiny Audi A3 when I get back.

I'm very lucky to have a great boss (she's not an Aussie ) and she has known about my plans for a while but she thought it would be mid next year (which it was before the accident) so I had to tell her it could be sooner than that and it will definitely be by Feb, she was very good about it asking what I need in terms of support and other things, which was nice.