RECENT TRIP TO ENGLAND

Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RECENT TRIP TO ENGLAND

Originally Posted by niksha
"Pretty much, discount the exchange rate, if your not a tourist, it isn't something that affects you.

CoL is what it is, $50 t-shirt is still a pricey t-shirt, just like a £50 t-shirt. That same t-shirt seems cheap to the tourist because they equate it to being £35, but if your earning dollars and spend all your time in dollars, the squid makes no difference."

Dont get this whatsoever and i am sure i am not the only idiot that does not get it but thats ok, onto the next topic!!
I guess if you lived in Japan then 1 Yen would equal 1 US$ or in Mexico then 1 peso would equal 1 US$.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

VivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura about

"Pretty much, discount the exchange rate, if your not a tourist, it isn't something that affects you.

CoL is what it is, $50 t-shirt is still a pricey t-shirt, just like a £50 t-shirt. That same t-shirt seems cheap to the tourist because they equate it to being £35, but if your earning dollars and spend all your time in dollars, the squid makes no difference."

Dont get this whatsoever and i am sure i am not the only idiot that does not get it but thats ok, onto the next topic!!
I DON"T GET IT EITHER!!!!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VivDee
I DON"T GET IT EITHER!!!!
I take what he is saying as...if you get paid in dollars, then you are used to seeing/paying for goods in dollars, if you get paid in pounds (live in the UK) then same goes there with pounds. COL= cost of living, the cost of goods usually reflects the median wage for the area, so in a cheaper area in the US/UK you can usually buy goods for less than expensive ritzy areas
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I take what he is saying as...if you get paid in dollars, then you are used to seeing/paying for goods in dollars, if you get paid in pounds (live in the UK) then same goes there with pounds. COL= cost of living, the cost of goods usually reflects the median wage for the area, so in a cheaper area in the US/UK you can usually buy goods for less than expensive ritzy areas

That's exactly what I thought and he is right. You can't judge what is cheaper or more expensive if you are not earning that currency and living there.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:41 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
But that's the point, why should we expect everyone to be able to speak English? I think we are very spoiled really, over the years going on package holidays to Spain, Greece, Portugal and not having to worry too much about the language because they cater so well to the English speaking holiday makers makes us automatically think it should be the same all over. A little effort (like your schoolgirl French) is probably appreciated because at least you are trying.
I've always tried to learn the rudiments, (ie hello, goodbye, please, thank you )of the language of the country I was visiting, even if only for a week. The natives do seem to appreciate it, probably gives them a good laugh.

Couldn't quite crack Malta though.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:52 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I've always tried to learn the rudiments, (ie hello, goodbye, please, thank you )of the language of the country I was visiting, even if only for a week. The natives do seem to appreciate it, probably gives them a good laugh.

Yes -- we spent a week in Poland last year. I'm afraid I just spoke English or resorted to sign language. My wife made an effort to ask folks how to say please, thank you and a few other simple words, then she practised those on other people. Folks in shops, museums, train conductors etc. seemed to really appreciate it.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I guess if you lived in Japan then 1 Yen would equal 1 US$ or in Mexico then 1 peso would equal 1 US$.
We're not talking those countries are we though. For the UK and EU in general, a 1:1 is a pretty good rule of thumb.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's not complicated.

Your not a tourist, stop thinking like one.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's not complicated.

Your not a tourist, stop thinking like one.
I don't see what that has to do with tourism. Someone living in Manchester won't accept a job in London unless there is a large salary increase. The same is true in the states where people won't accept a job in NYC or the Silicon Valley unless they get a big increase in salary.

The same is true between countries in that there has to be a way to compare prices.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I don't see what that has to do with tourism. Someone living in Manchester won't accept a job in London unless there is a large salary increase. The same is true in the states where people won't accept a job in NYC or the Silicon Valley unless they get a big increase in salary.

The same is true between countries in that there has to be a way to compare prices.
I guess that to make the comparison meaningful you would have to factor in what the average wage is, so for instance if the average wage is higher in that particular part of the U.S is say $35,000 and the wage in the U.K is £24,000 then the $50-£50 t-shirt is going to be more affordable than the £50 one. But that won't really be adequate because you would need to look at the whole cost of living to get a accurate picture - i.e how much the average person gets shafted under the different systems. I'd try and work it out but it would make my brain hurt.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
I guess that to make the comparison meaningful you would have to factor in what the average wage is, so for instance if the average wage is higher in that particular part of the U.S is say $35,000 and the wage in the U.K is £24,000 then the $50-£50 t-shirt is going to be more affordable than the £50 one. But that won't really be adequate because you would need to look at the whole cost of living to get a accurate picture - i.e how much the average person gets shafted under the different systems. I'd try and work it out but it would make my brain hurt.
I thought that is what I said? (tried to say)
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

You did I don't understand why people don't get what Bob is saying, he didn't even use any bobisms
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, that is what you said. Sorry I must have skim read it.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nethead
You did I don't understand why people don't get what Bob is saying, he didn't even use any bobisms
must be the 'Americanisms'
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:30 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs

ISTR Maltese is similar to Italian, so if you know Italian you could just about get by. But everyone speaks English as well which is handy. Nice place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.