RECENT TRIP TO ENGLAND

Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:48 am
Just Joined

niksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: RECENT TRIP TO ENGLAND

ha ha !!i Guess i just expected any normal person -especially in his customer service postion and one who deals with tourists from all over the world-NOT to ask me to repeat myself in my very good english lingo!!!!But then what was i thinking ? After all i was in paris and we all know the French love us brits so so much!!!!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:50 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by niksha
ha ha !!i Guess i just expected any normal person -especially in his customer service postion and one who deals with tourists from all over the world-NOT to ask me to repeat myself in my very good english lingo!!!!But then what was i thinking ? After all i was in paris and we all know the French love us brits so so much!!!!
You've been in the US too long.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What are u on about if u are earning dollars or pounds?? Most people if they go on holidays browse around and see what things cost in other counties . therefore if the chicago sweathsirt would have been cheaper for me AFTER the conversion i surely would have bought it from the UK and bought it back to Portland OR. I Don't get your perspective on this to be honest mate.
Because your thinking like a tourist.

If you live and work in one country, that's what you've got to play with, so pounds are irrelevant to you.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:05 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Oh my God.....he spoke in French!!!! Horrifying He had the cheek to speak his native language in his own country.

What is the world coming to
Indeed, it is an utter disgrace that you should at least make the attempt to say hello in the language of the country that is extending its hospitality to you (although that is debatable even in france )

I've seen it alot of times, visiting France and seeing the French play games with the Brits (US/Aus/Ireland etc etc) who were sounding out the words in English like the poor Frenchman was either deaf or just plain stupid....

Then smart ass here goes up and communicates in schoolgirl French, to be greeted with a big smile and an answer in perfect english
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:07 am
Just Joined

niksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the rough

yes i have been in the USA for too long-33 yrs- to be exact.
yes i am thinking like a tourist as technically i am a tourist as i have been a yank citizen for the past 20years
However, i still consider England as My country and love the food,beer, sports,my mates and telly over there!!!Now if u ask me would i go back there to live permanently , hmmmmmm i dont think so as i have been here too long.
How about the rest of you guys that have lived in the USA for donkey's years, would you go back permanently now???
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

yes i have been in the USA for too long-33 yrs- to be exact.
yes i am thinking like a tourist as technically i am a tourist as i have been a yank citizen for the past 20years
However, i still consider England as My country and love the food,beer, sports,my mates and telly over there!!!Now if u ask me would i go back there to live permanently , hmmmmmm i dont think so as i have been here too long.
How about the rest of you guys that have lived in the USA for donkey's years, would you go back permanently now???
I could go back and live there quite happily. IMO my little part of the UK hasn't changed that much in the 14 years I've lived in the US. I feel very comfortable there...like wearing an old glove or slipper. Sure there's things about the US I would miss.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo
Indeed, it is an utter disgrace that you should at least make the attempt to say hello in the language of the country that is extending its hospitality to you (although that is debatable even in france )

I've seen it alot of times, visiting France and seeing the French play games with the Brits (US/Aus/Ireland etc etc) who were sounding out the words in English like the poor Frenchman was either deaf or just plain stupid....

Then smart ass here goes up and communicates in schoolgirl French, to be greeted with a big smile and an answer in perfect english
But that's the point, why should we expect everyone to be able to speak English? I think we are very spoiled really, over the years going on package holidays to Spain, Greece, Portugal and not having to worry too much about the language because they cater so well to the English speaking holiday makers makes us automatically think it should be the same all over. A little effort (like your schoolgirl French) is probably appreciated because at least you are trying.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Sugarmooma,surely u must admit that asking once or maybe twice would be acceptable but three times??
Just curious, what would happen if someone from mexico or india who spoke very little english went over. Would they be treated the same way ?? hmmm
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Sugarmooma,surely u must admit that asking once or maybe twice would be acceptable but three times??
Just curious, what would happen if someone from mexico or india who spoke very little english went over. Would they be treated the same way ?? hmmm

Probably.

I live in Texas where there are a lot of Spanish speaking Mexicans, and where there are also a lot of Texans that speak pretty good Spanish and it works the same way....on the whole most people expect whoever is in their country to speak their language.

I also think most people make way to much fuss about the French not liking the US or the Uk folk
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Because your thinking like a tourist.

If you live and work in one country, that's what you've got to play with, so pounds are irrelevant to you.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Are you saying that if you live in the UK then you should consider 1 pound equals 1 US$ and if you live in the Euro zone, then you should consider 1 Euro equals 1 US$ which equals 1 pound or if you live in Switzerland than 1 Swis Franc should equal 1 US$ which equals 1 Euro which equals 1 pound?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Im going back at Crimbo... now im thinking about ditching my ticket and going to Vegas instead! lol
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

I also think most people make way to much fuss about the French not liking the US or the Uk folk
Last time I was in Paris there was such a sexy waiter - just like John Simm Everyone seemed very pleasant, I don't get the hating the French bit.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Are you saying that if you live in the UK then you should consider 1 pound equals 1 US$ and if you live in the Euro zone, then you should consider 1 Euro equals 1 US$ which equals 1 pound or if you live in Switzerland than 1 Swis Franc should equal 1 US$ which equals 1 Euro which equals 1 pound?
Pretty much, discount the exchange rate, if your not a tourist, it isn't something that affects you.

CoL is what it is, $50 t-shirt is still a pricey t-shirt, just like a £50 t-shirt. That same t-shirt seems cheap to the tourist because they equate it to being £35, but if your earning dollars and spend all your time in dollars, the squid makes no difference.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:16 am
Just Joined

"Pretty much, discount the exchange rate, if your not a tourist, it isn't something that affects you.

CoL is what it is, $50 t-shirt is still a pricey t-shirt, just like a £50 t-shirt. That same t-shirt seems cheap to the tourist because they equate it to being £35, but if your earning dollars and spend all your time in dollars, the squid makes no difference."

Dont get this whatsoever and i am sure i am not the only idiot that does not get it but thats ok, onto the next topic!!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:17 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Last time I was in Paris there was such a sexy waiter - just like John Simm Everyone seemed very pleasant, I don't get the hating the French bit.
Same here but then again I did do a work placement in France (trainee translator) back in the day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.