Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Pretty sure we are moving back to England from the USA

Pretty sure we are moving back to England from the USA

Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pretty sure we are moving back to England from the USA

Originally Posted by confusedenglishrose
Beware of the very insular American mentality though must don't think anything else exists apart from the USA and disguise it quite well I speak from experience.
I have to say I haven't found this at all.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 5:56 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
I have quite a few times. over the years. I think it depends on where you are.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
I have very positive memories of the States, but I can also see why others have negative views (many of which I sympathise with - health care, social care, etc.). One of the good things about this part of the site is that, other than occasionally being scolded for getting off-topic people aren't too precious about what you can and can't say.
Doesn't this come down to due diligence. If you don't like the US system for health care, social services, etc, why move there. They aren't a big secret or anything. It seems silly to move here and then complain because it isn't like England.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateg60
Doesn't this come down to due diligence. If you don't like the US system for health care, social services, etc, why move there. They aren't a big secret or anything. It seems silly to move here and then complain because it isn't like England.
Maybe a lot of Brits don't go to the US through personal choice - have you read many of the threads on the US forum?

"Sorry, hubby, we have to divorce because I can't possibly move with you to your homeland as it would mean I can't complain about the healthcare system". Now THAT would be silly ...

Besides, there are plenty of USC's who complain about US healthcare. Is complaining about the US only the prerogative of US citizens?

Last edited by dunroving; Mar 18th 2011 at 11:35 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I came here to meet father had not seen for 20 years. I think my reason was personal but also a necessity..
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe a lot of Brits don't go to the US through personal choice - have you read many of the threads on the US forum?

"Sorry, hubby, we have to divorce because I can't possibly move with you to your homeland as it would mean I can't complain about the healthcare system". Now THAT would be silly ...

Besides, there are plenty of USC's who complain about US healthcare. Is complaining about the US only the prerogative of US citizens?
Some of the Americans on BE have even commented that healthcare has changed and become less affordable over recent years.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:17 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree .. my wife was born & brought up in America, I moved here voluntarily as a mature adult. We both complain bitterly about the health care system, piss-poor public transport, inhumane bureaucracy, lousy infrastructure etc. etc. Does she somehow have more right to complain than me, just because I came here voluntarily? I don't think so.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateg60
Kate, others say: how can you complain about a country you have never lived in. Their are plenty of Americans and Brits who feel free to criticise things about the UK too. Don't take it personally... unless of course, all of this was your idea .
Old Mar 19th 2011, 12:52 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Re Americans not thinking anywhere else matters, or really exists.

I've found that. Not with all, of course, but a surprising number. It's not conscious. They simply never see meaningful input from anywhere else, and don't get world history in school. I've been told they invented democracy, and someone assured me that the British people supported the Americans in the Revolution. That it was only bad King George and the worst parts of his army that caused any trouble. Is that what they're taught?

A reasonably educated friend was surprised that Normandy wasn't part of Britain. She'd assumed the Norman Conquest involved crossing a river into England. And another, very intelligent friend, said she'd love to follow world history, but there was just too much going on within America for her to have the time. "It's a big country," she said, as if I might not have noticed.

I replied that it was a big country being seriously affected by things going on elsewhere. She didn't really get that then, but she's changed her news-following in recent years.

Bev
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm

I've found that. Not with all, of course, but a surprising number. It's not conscious. They simply never see meaningful input from anywhere else, and don't get world history in school. I've been told they invented democracy, and someone assured me that the British people supported the Americans in the Revolution. That it was only bad King George and the worst parts of his army that caused any trouble. Is that what they're taught?

A reasonably educated friend was surprised that Normandy wasn't part of Britain. She'd assumed the Norman Conquest involved crossing a river into England. And another, very intelligent friend, said she'd love to follow world history, but there was just too much going on within America for her to have the time. "It's a big country," she said, as if I might not have noticed.

I replied that it was a big country being seriously affected by things going on elsewhere. She didn't really get that then, but she's changed her news-following in recent years.

Bev
To be fair, the thing about the American Revolution is complex. I think it is true that liberal, radical, progressive people (and elements of the disenfranchised lower orders) in Britain generally DID support the Revolution and so did not support British military efforts in the War of Independence. However, I also think that King George III was one of the best, hardest-working and most enlightened monarchs Britain has ever had and it is a pity he is characterised in the American Creation mythology as some kind of an evil, power-grabbing absolute monarch.

The terrible thing about the way they teach history in schools here is that it is infantilising and didactic.. certainly not a good introduction to historical scholarship & research methods that are expected of students when they get to the University...
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm

Bev
I have a very well-educated Catholic "Irish-American" friend who firmly believes that the population of Northern Ireland is predominantly Catholic and that just about everyone who lives in NI wants to separate from the United Kingdom.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 1:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I have a very well-educated Catholic "Irish-American" friend who firmly believes that the population of Northern Ireland is predominantly Catholic and that just about everyone who lives in NI wants to separate from the United Kingdom.
Oh God tell me about it. I must admit, when I talk to Americans about the troubles, the IRA etc. I always make sure to bracket Britain and Ireland together; for instance, I'll talk about how the UK government and the Irish government worked together to defeat terrorism. How the IRA targeted Irish and British civilians.

Fortunately, I think this Rep Peter King with his Congressional Hearings singling out Muslims as terrorist-supporters is shooting himself in the foot... ordinary Americans are being made aware of the degree of support that King and other powerful "Irish-Americans" gave to terrorists during the troubles, as recently as the 1970s and 80s..
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKBritExpat
I have lived in California, USA now for nearly 8 years. I have never really adjusted from my old life back in England.

After much soul searching I have broken silence to my wife that I cannot spend the rest of my life in California. I think it will take some time for her to come around. But we will be moving within the next 2 years once I finish college.

One of the biggest issues for me is that I miss my family back home and I have no quality of life here.

Weather: In Northern California it rains just as much as England. And similar grey sky. The summers are great but Autumn, Winter and Spring are cool cold and damp. Everyone moans about the weather, but it is not much better over here.

Work: I get decent money for IT work. But America is crazy about work. I get 10 holidays per year (which I have to earn) compared to 27 I used to get at my old job in England. At first this is not a big deal as you are generally excited to be in a new country, but after time in really gets to me and I am constantly tired and burnt out. Yes you can take weekend breaks but as I say over time you get worn down. There is not light at the end of the tunnel and I cannot continue to work like this for another 30+ years of my life.
Can you imagine going on a 2 week holiday and then being told you cannot do that again for another year and have no time off in between either. Think hard about that if you decide to live in the USA.
You may also say why not go contracting? Great, but then I get no health care coverage...

Healthcare: Why would you move from England where you get healthcare coverage even if you have no job to a country where you could be paying an average of $500.00 USD per month for health care. Or get a permanent job in the USA where the company gives you health coverage but it may not cover everything you need. It's like buying car insurance. Check the small print and see what you are covered for.

There are more reasons but this is the main reasons for leaving. I am worried about not re-adjusting to life back in the UK, but I fear I have no other choice now as I feel tired with America.

I also personally have made few friends, due to lack of free time. The only friends I have is my wife, my animals and another expat who lives close to me. I have an uncle and cousin that live 1 hour away. I wish I could see them more, but again I have no real free time or decent vacation. It can be lonely living here and disconnected.
I try to integrate myself and have friends at work, but I never feel really part of their culture. I am not even sure if America has any defining culture. It's a mix bag. I do miss my culture.

The one thing I have gained by this whole experience is the appreciation of my own culture, history and more knowledge of Britain.
I do like the US people, but I do feel sorry for them and how they could have so much more but are sold the American dream which is a dream.

Now I just need to try and salvage the value of my house in a sale,figure how to get my dog and cat back to England and some cash on the hip.

Thankfully, I am working on a career exit strategy to earn more cash when I return back home.
My experience in the USA parallels yours and I am much older than you are

There is a thread in the forum - somewhere - about how to take your pet back on the Queen Mary - turns out to be less expensive. You do the quarantine out of your own home here in the USA. They have to have a certain UK-accepted microchip and tests for rabies through an org called something like DFEA. MUCH better than six months quarantine in the UK. You can take them back either on the plane with you or by ship so long as they have been through the DFEA process which is merely shots and tests six months before departure, I believe.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard the same, many times.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
I agree .. my wife was born & brought up in America, I moved here voluntarily as a mature adult. We both complain bitterly about the health care system, piss-poor public transport, inhumane bureaucracy, lousy infrastructure etc. etc. Does she somehow have more right to complain than me, just because I came here voluntarily? I don't think so.
I guess I am not much of a complainer then. I am here, I deal with it. It is what it is. There are things I like and don't like in the UK and the US, but I take the good with the bad and try to focus on what I do like rather than what I don't. Feel free to complain if it makes you feel better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.