Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Postcards from England 2nd Chapter !

Postcards from England 2nd Chapter !

Old Apr 25th 2018, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Postcards from England 2nd Chapter !

Welcome to Marlow on Thames !

Picture perfect ! After a long and cold winter, England is awakening to the vibrant colours of a glorious Springtime brought in by a mini heatwave that had us all swaping winter coats and scarves with tee shirts and sunglasses, in a matter of just a few days.

So I just could not resist taking my camera with me and take you along the busy streets of vibrant Marlow on this sunny Saturday morning to the sound of lawn mowers and terraces slowly filling in with a joyous crowd of locals and tourists enjoying the sun.

After a few years in Luxembourg from where I sent you my Escapades around the 3 Borders Country, here I am back in this quaint England which I love so much. I will be delighted to take you along with me on a discovery journey of historic attractions, summer festivals throughout the summer and beyond.

Located on the banks of the River Thames which runs from the Cotswolds to London, nestled amongst the woodlands of the Chiltern Hills, Marlow, with its 1832 suspension bridge which joins the counties of Buckinghamshire and Berkshire has a been popular destination since victorian times.

Fashionable back then and still a very much sought after postcode today for a cosmopolitan mix of people who are looking for a quiet and picturesque environment far away from busy London which is still only 35 miles away. The High St which features a great variety of restaurants, cafes and boutiques is very popular in the summer, especially at times of Festivals such as the Marlow Regatta, Music & Drama Festival, Food Festival...

Marlow can easily be accessed by train with its on station ran by the First Great Western service to London Paddington, via Maidenhead on the line that used to be called the "Marlow Donkey", 19th century steam engine locomotive now eponymous with a very popular pub offering the best beer garden in Marlow.

Ever since I have arrived in Marlow and being a keen gardener myself, I cannot but smile at the sights of the immaculately kept and manicured gardens and houses which remind me very much of Keeping Up Appearances - a popular TV serie which featured a suburban Lady called Hiacinth Bouquet who would polish her front door daily and even dust off the leaves of her front porch Laurel Thyme - a must see if you don't already know her -in its 2018 adaptation with streets which apart from the High St have all become too narrow to accomodate 2 vehicles coming in opposite directions resulting in the most amusing ballet of driving courtesy which consists in letting the incoming car pass before you can take your turn

The irresistible Hyacinth Bouquet from BBC TV Series "Keeping Up Appearances !"

It is rather amusing to think that these nowadays peaceful riverside communities of Marlow, Henley and Cookham once hosted up to 30 nightclubs back in the early 1900s when wealthy Londoners would show off their new motorcars. The clubs have disappeared but the motorcars certainly are still very much a sight on week-ends on High St ( Bentley, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, etc )

Karim
Old Apr 25th 2018, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Postcards from England 2nd Chapter !

This vibrant Georgian market town origines can be traced as far back as the Knights Templar who had a house at nearby Bisham and built the first bridge over the River Thames here.

Marlow Lock itself was built as a timber (fir wood) pound lock in 1773 and reconstructed in stone in 1825. In that same year, a new lock was built alongside the old one which was filled in. Marlow's Weir marks the finishing point for the famous Marlow Regatta, held annually since 1866. It is said to be the most popular one-day regatta in the country.

Marlow Weir

For those who enjoy walking, a very picturesque river trail is available as part of the 294 km Thames Path National Trail which runs from Thames Head in the Cotswolds through several counties up to Thames Barrier in Greenwhich marking the entrance to London.

In the months to come, I will take you along the river banks to the picturesque towns of Windsor where I lived for 8 years and Henley famous for its regattas.

Thames Path National Trail Map

Marlow Suspension Bridge

Created in 1832 by William Tierney Clark to link the counties of Buckinghamshire and Berkshire and who later used more or less the same design for his bridge linking Buda and Pest in Hungary.

Marlow All Saints Church

As iconic as the Suspension Bridge, the All Saints Chuch has been the heart of the community for nearly 200 years with its cemetery lawn which runs down to the river with a bench which offers the best view to enjoy passing boats, ducks and swans.

Marlow being picturesque in all seasons, I will do my best at sending you from time to time a postcards of Marlow colours in of summertime, autumn and Christmas time.

Marlow 2018 Calendar of Events

Marlow Pub in the Park - Food Festival created by Chef Tom Kerridge - 17th to 20th May 2018
Marlow Regatta & Festival on 16th and 17th June 2018
Marlow Music and Drama Festival from 09th to 23rd November 2018

As far as Marlow is concerned, I am a huge fan of Cafe Satollo located 5 Liston Court - just off High St - which offers a great selection of homemade Italian specialties and a great outdoor terrace when the sun is shining - which really happens in England as demonstrated in many of my past Postcards -, the Coach - 2nd restaurant of Chef Tom Kerridge for its tiny gastropub ambiance and great value for money English Breakfast not to forget their divine coffee, the IVY located on High St for its outdoor space to enjoy in the summer months in a "Ladies who lunch" atmosphere and of course, the unbeatable views of the Compleat Angler Hotel located by the river with a lawn terrace straight out of a Lewis Carrol novel and so close to the water that one feel like boating while having a drink. And of course, the friendliest place to enjoy a pint in the best beer garden in Marlow, named after the locomotive that used to brings visitors to the town since victorian times, the Marlow Donkey Pub. No visit to Marlow will be complete without sampling a pint of Rebellion beer produced by a local Brewer.

The award winning Higginson Park offers 9.5 acres of lush green public space under the shade of hundred years old trees as well as spectacular river views and welcome throughout the year family picnics and events such as Pub in the Park and other festivals.

I would like to thank all of you who have followed my Postcards from England and then Escapades around the 3 Borders Country ( Luxembourg ) and tell you how happy I am to finally catch up with new Postcards which will hopefully delights of the many charms of quaint and historic places around Britain

I would like to once again salute the dedication, hard work and enthusiasm of the thousands of people who so generously dedicate their free time and week ends to help keep alive their cultural heritage for us to enjoy all around the United Kingdom, as we often forget that many places of beauty and interest can also be found on our very doorstep.

Karim
Old Apr 25th 2018, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Postcards from England 2nd Chapter !

So it is with Marlow that I will resume the tread of my Postcards on a Saturday morning in April by mid summer temperatures after one of the longest and coldest winter on record ...

Karim
Old Apr 25th 2018, 7:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postcards from England 2nd Chapter !

Karim, you really like to make people homesick don't you.

Not me though, but fabulous stuff as always.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Karim
Old Apr 25th 2018, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Karim
Old Apr 25th 2018, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Karim

Last edited by victorian67; Apr 25th 2018 at 8:45 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Karim
Old Apr 25th 2018, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I will meet you somewhere around my "home" town! Will be looking out for a chap taking pics this Saturday when I wonder around especially in Liston Square!
Old Apr 25th 2018, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you so much for your first comment on my thread

I will look forward to seeing you at Cafe Satollo
Old Apr 25th 2018, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Karim
Old Apr 25th 2018, 10:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I want to move to Marlow.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Karim
Old Apr 25th 2018, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Karim
Old Apr 25th 2018, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Karim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.