The Plan

Old Jun 9th 2013, 1:02 am
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice
Default Re: The Plan

It happened again! Went to the thrift store, noticed a beautiful soap dish on a shelf where it did not belong, looked at the bottom...MADE IN ENGLAND! Bought it, of course....
I know some of you might not think it strange, but this is not a place where you would necessarily expect to find all these things.
Btw, Where iexactly is Staffordshire?
Old Jun 9th 2013, 4:47 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
Honestly, I do feel like this words were just for me

I'm telling you, things just have been popping up that I feel are meant to guide me. Some little , seemingly coincidental things in the last few days especially.

I like to go to a local thrift shop and look for porcelain china, especially tea cups. (I drink a lot of tea. I've been drinking it since I was old enough t hold a cup. My mother used to put tea in my thermos with my lunch to take to school!) I just love them!
So, yesterday I was looking around in this store and walked around this one isle a few times to check out everything, and on my second go round or so, suddenly I saw a tea cup with scenes from London all over it! It was not with the other cups. it was just there for me to find! It is from Sadler and part of the London Heritage Collection. So, I bought that. Then, a few minutes later I spotted a Tea tray...made in Stafforshire! Naturally, I bought them both. I know it may not seem like any big deal, but I take these little things as signs that I'm making the right decision...silly as it may seem.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about just wanting to be happy. I, like many or most, have been through some very hard, stressful, sad times these past several years, and all I can think of is how I just want to be happy and healthy, start a new part of my life in a new place that's better suited to me, with things that are essential to what, for me, is a good life.

I believe we were meant to be happy. And I'm going to go for what makes me happy, and I hope you will, too. I'm sure you will.
Here's to happiness

I love how you keep finding English treasures in obscure places. Now you can take them back to where they came from. I'd see that as a very good sign myself!!
Old Jun 13th 2013, 3:25 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I said goodbye to a dear friend last night. I have known her ever since I moved to Boulder 22 years ago. She was my youngest son's pre-school teacher and then we were housemates. She was the owner of my dog's mother and she took care of Summer when I went out of town. She's been there for my kids - she used to babysit them, help them make cards for my birthday and Mother's Day. As they got older, they always knew she was there for them and now they include her in their celebrations without me even having to prompt them. She's seen me through many ups and downs and we've laughed and cried together over the years.

She is also leaving the area - moving back to the Atlanta area to be with her family. We both decided to make our moves quite independently of each other. She's not going until after the summer but she's off on vacation today until the day I get back so I won't see her again til October when I've arranged my flight home from the trade show in Houston to give me a one day stop over in Atlanta. It's hard to believe I won't see her for so long but it was easier to say goodbye knowing we already have a day planned later in the year.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I said goodbye to a dear friend last night. I have known her ever since I moved to Boulder 22 years ago. She was my youngest son's pre-school teacher and then we were housemates. She was the owner of my dog's mother and she took care of Summer when I went out of town. She's been there for my kids - she used to babysit them, help them make cards for my birthday and Mother's Day. As they got older, they always knew she was there for them and now they include her in their celebrations without me even having to prompt them. She's seen me through many ups and downs and we've laughed and cried together over the years.

She is also leaving the area - moving back to the Atlanta area to be with her family. We both decided to make our moves quite independently of each other. She's not going until after the summer but she's off on vacation today until the day I get back so I won't see her again til October when I've arranged my flight home from the trade show in Houston to give me a one day stop over in Atlanta. It's hard to believe I won't see her for so long but it was easier to say goodbye knowing we already have a day planned later in the year.
Saying goodbye is never easy and I'm sure your friend feels exactly the same. I find looking at it as "so long for now" helps me cope. Just think of all you'll have to tell each other in October.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Aw...sad. But sounds like she will always be there for you and you her.

Hey...let me know when you will be on Houston, we could have an Essex girl reunion
Old Jun 13th 2013, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
It happened again! Went to the thrift store, noticed a beautiful soap dish on a shelf where it did not belong, looked at the bottom...MADE IN ENGLAND! Bought it, of course....
I know some of you might not think it strange, but this is not a place where you would necessarily expect to find all these things.
Btw, Where iexactly is Staffordshire?

Staffordshire is in the West Midlands. I once picked up a blown glass piece in, of all places, Marshalls in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Stamped on the bottom was Dartington Hall Glass (by where I used to go to boarding school in S. Devon). We are not taking much back with us, but there are a few things that must go - and that is one of them

Last edited by Perth; Jun 13th 2013 at 8:53 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Redgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to all

Tickets are booked!!! Tickets are booked!!!!

I'm leaving on 24th June, arriving Heathrow 25th June.

Kaffe Fassett exhibition at the Fashion & Textile Museum with my sister on 27 June.

Two exhibitions at the V&A I want to go to - David Bowie Is and Treasures of the Royal Courts.

Will be reunited with my dog and youngest son and the whole fam-dam!

Doing my happy dance.
Oh that is fantastic news! How exciting!!!!!!

Just picking up on this thread. Happy to hear your doggie made it safe and sound. We flew one of ours out last year and I know how stressful it is for us humans. You sound a lot like me with all your possessions. We are just starting the difficult process of narrowing it down. It IS amazing how everything falls into place and one starts to see signs everywhere isn't it? Happy dancing for you!
Old Jun 15th 2013, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops
Saying goodbye is never easy and I'm sure your friend feels exactly the same. I find looking at it as "so long for now" helps me cope. Just think of all you'll have to tell each other in October.
Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Aw...sad. But sounds like she will always be there for you and you her.

Hey...let me know when you will be on Houston, we could have an Essex girl reunion
She is definitely a friend for life. While we won't spend so much time together, I'm sure there will be the occasional Dial-a-Shot and Skype-Shot. Although, with the time difference, she'll be drinking at noon if I'm calling her up for a 5pm cocktail.

SM - and let me know if you're ever in the Essex area, then we can really do it in style!
Old Jun 15th 2013, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Redgal
Oh that is fantastic news! How exciting!!!!!!

Just picking up on this thread. Happy to hear your doggie made it safe and sound. We flew one of ours out last year and I know how stressful it is for us humans. You sound a lot like me with all your possessions. We are just starting the difficult process of narrowing it down. It IS amazing how everything falls into place and one starts to see signs everywhere isn't it? Happy dancing for you!
Thank you Redgal. The time goes really quickly once you set the date. Although, having said that, I thought about it for years before I actually did anything about it and then only gave myself a couple of months to pull it all together. But, as you say, it does all seem to fall into place.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 3:41 pm

So, over the last week I have been driving around Boulder running errands, taking care of this and that and it has been quite surreal, realizing that I won't be driving around here like this again.

The temperatures have been in the upper 90's which I find hard to cope with. Although we have low humidity, the sun is very intense here. There have been a few wildfires around the area, including one big one near Colorado Springs which has claimed 473 homes. For a couple of days, the wind was blowing in our direction so the smoke covered the sun (which kept it a bit cooler) and the air was not very pleasant. I will not miss the heat and the wildfires. The last 3 or 4 years have been really bad.

Yesterday, was in the upper 80's and it was a beautiful day. I started to wonder why I'm leaving I had dinner with my son and his in-laws at their house where I feel quite at home and I started to think I must be mad

I wouldn't say I've had thoughts about changing my mind, but I did start to wonder if there wasn't some small thing I could have changed to make me want to stay. Then I reminded myself why I'm going home, that I've been on the fence about it for so long that it's time to find out. Then I thought of my sister picking me up at the airport, and going to the Kaffe Fassett exhibition with her, and sitting in my friend's kitchen drinking endless cups of tea, and going for walks with my youngest son and our dog, and all seemed right in my world again.

He (youngest son) joined the Royal Navy last November and has been in officer training since then. He has decided not to stay in as he doesn't feel it's a good fit for him. He will be leaving just after I get there and somehow I feel that the timing is perfect. I will be there for him as he catches his breath and decides what's next for him. I fully respect his decision which I know he has not taken lightly, but I know there is some disappointment as he really thought that this was the thing he wanted to do with his life. As least he gave it a go and gave it all he's got to find out. I wonder what he'll do next. I just hope he doesn't decide to move back to the States
Old Jun 15th 2013, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

That would be the collywobbles talking
Old Jun 15th 2013, 6:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 15th 2013, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

He (youngest son) joined the Royal Navy last November and has been in officer training since then. He has decided not to stay in as he doesn't feel it's a good fit for him. He will be leaving just after I get there and somehow I feel that the timing is perfect. I will be there for him as he catches his breath and decides what's next for him. I fully respect his decision which I know he has not taken lightly, but I know there is some disappointment as he really thought that this was the thing he wanted to do with his life. As least he gave it a go and gave it all he's got to find out. I wonder what he'll do next. I just hope he doesn't decide to move back to the States [/QUOTE]

My older son was in the RN officer training for a year, same as yours, it was his big ambition. He then went to sea with the Merchant Navy and had a great career as an officer on cruise ships, travelling the world. He now has a shore based job, but still to do with the sea, and again is doing really well! Just thought I'd tell that story, I just remember those days of "What next?", but the Royal Navy is a good start. I guess employers think if they've succeeded there, they are good reliable employees with leadership potential. Anyway, good luck to your son!
Old Jun 16th 2013, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thought as much They come and go. Yesterday was a fantastic day. I headed to a quilt show a little north of here and to one of my favourite quilt shops where a quilt historian I have got to know over the years was doing appraisals. She and I had lunch together and she told me about a few of the antique quilts she's bought recently and invited me to her house this week to see them. She has an incredible collection of antique quilts and she displays them beautifully. Excited to go there

Then I did a bit of shopping in a couple of my favourite clothes stores, after which I went for tea with my lovely English friend and we tried on some new make up I'd bought and then went out to dinner.

Oh, and I bought a small 1930's/40's quilt top that the quilt historian was appraising. When I admired it, she told me she had appraised it for a thrift store up the road and to go and buy it It is adorable. I have several old tops and quilts but none like this one. I am looking forward to rummaging in the UK and building a collection of British quilts.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by jemima55
He (youngest son) joined the Royal Navy last November and has been in officer training since then. He has decided not to stay in as he doesn't feel it's a good fit for him. He will be leaving just after I get there and somehow I feel that the timing is perfect. I will be there for him as he catches his breath and decides what's next for him. I fully respect his decision which I know he has not taken lightly, but I know there is some disappointment as he really thought that this was the thing he wanted to do with his life. As least he gave it a go and gave it all he's got to find out. I wonder what he'll do next. I just hope he doesn't decide to move back to the States
My older son was in the RN officer training for a year, same as yours, it was his big ambition. He then went to sea with the Merchant Navy and had a great career as an officer on cruise ships, travelling the world. He now has a shore based job, but still to do with the sea, and again is doing really well! Just thought I'd tell that story, I just remember those days of "What next?", but the Royal Navy is a good start. I guess employers think if they've succeeded there, they are good reliable employees with leadership potential. Anyway, good luck to your son![/QUOTE]

Thank you! That is a great story and I will pass it on to my son.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.