British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

dontheturner Jun 4th 2012 2:53 pm

Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 10090588)
I am in Dawlish, Devon and the photos I have posted are taken in town - we actually have ducks and swans and seagulls on the Brook that runs through the center of the tiny central area.
Will take some pics of the buildings at a later date. :)

With the beautiful Ice Creams, on sale on the left going up? Are they still available? Love to you Rosie..... Don xxx

lf1 Jun 4th 2012 6:44 pm

I have just been reading the UK TV Guide and found that there are so many shows that we never see over here. I can't wait to watch Gardeners World, Great British Railways, Countryfile and Coast (one of my favourites). Also, I like to watch Eggheads, even although it does raise my blood pressure a bit when I am screaming at the smug CJ. There is also a show listed which is about the People's History of Britain, not sure if that is the title, but I would love to see that.

Won't be long until I can watch all of these shows on a regular basis. Somehow I will have to get caught up on Coronation Street as we are 3 months behind in Canada.

Mummy in the foothills Jun 4th 2012 6:52 pm

Don't forget to watch Horrible histories. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fadCAHjN-s

Fish n Chips 56 Jun 4th 2012 6:53 pm

Yesterdays BBC America coverage was awesome, we were glued to the telly all day, I had plenty of tears, this stuff just gets to me, Im so passionate about the UK and its ways of doing things to perfection, nobody can do this like the Brits, and I dont mean that in a Big headed way.

I learned alot I didn't know, I thought it was sad how the Royals hadnt been to Ireland in 100 years...

lf1 Jun 4th 2012 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10099793)
Don't forget to watch Horrible histories. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fadCAHjN-s

I'll have to have a look at that, but right now I am going to allow myself to watch Coronation Street in the middle of the day. How decadent am I?:)

lf1 Jun 4th 2012 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10099797)
Yesterdays BBC America coverage was awesome, we were glued to the telly all day, I had plenty of tears, this stuff just gets to me, Im so passionate about the UK and its ways of doing things to perfection, nobody can do this like the Brits, and I dont mean that in a Big headed way.

I learned alot I didn't know, I thought it was sad how the Royals hadnt been to Ireland in 100 years...

It was great. Did you hear the Prince Philip is in hospital? In Canada, they are not airing tonight's concert until tomorrow night. Grrrr

Fish n Chips 56 Jun 4th 2012 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10099780)
Somehow I will have to get caught up on Coronation Street as we are 3 months behind in Canada.

3 months.??? its not available here in the USA on TV, we haven't seen it in almost 30 years, we got it for a while then it was cut off Huhhh...

Is Ena, Minnie and Uncle Albert still in it? lol.

Fish n Chips 56 Jun 4th 2012 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10099803)
It was great. Did you hear the Prince Philip is in hospital? In Canada, they are not airing tonight's concert until tomorrow night. Grrrr

Just saw that, Bladder infection, Yikes, could be worse I suppose...

Our concert coverage starts at 130 a.m. on the west coast...

Celticspirit Jun 4th 2012 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10099806)
Just saw that, Bladder infection, Yikes, could be worse I suppose...

Our concert coverage starts at 130 a.m. on the west coast...

On what channel? I think ABC may be showing the concert tomorrow evening.

lf1 Jun 4th 2012 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10099805)
3 months.??? its not available here in the USA on TV, we haven't seen it in almost 30 years, we got it for a while then it was cut off Huhhh...

LOL to Ena, Minnie and Uncle Albert. Remember them in the snug. Ken Barlow is still in it and Dennis Tanner, Elsie's son, has recently rejoined the cast. I missed a few years of it in the 80's as it was shown in the afternoon and I did not have that new fangled gadget known as a VCR.:)

Mummy in the foothills Jun 4th 2012 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10099805)

I watch on you tube, it only cuts off at each commercial break and then I click the next one and don't see the commercials.
http://www.youtube.com/user/NeverSurrender6

lf1 Jun 4th 2012 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10099881)
I watch on you tube, it only cuts off at each commercial break and then I click the next one and don't see the commercials.
http://www.youtube.com/user/NeverSurrender6

I think I might start watching on You Tube, that way I'll be update to date when I go home in July. Thanks for the tip.:)

sallysimmons Jun 4th 2012 10:10 pm

The concert was interesting. Lots of real oldies who I admire but who honestly can't sing anymore (Elton John and Paul McCartney for example) and then quite a few new young stars (Jessie J for example), but a whole missing generation of the best of British music. I'm assuming it's because those artists didn't want to appear, which is a reminder that the Royal Family hasn't always been as popular as it is today. For many of my generation, they were irrelevant at best and thus we had no Noel Gallagher, no New Order, no Elbow, no Smiths ...

I think in a way that speaks to what the Queen has been able to achieve, clawing them back to relevance after the death of Diana, so that new young artists actually want to be part of the celebrations.

The highlight for me was seeing the two Princes crack up at Peter Kay. Good to know they have a sense of humor!

Derrygal Jun 4th 2012 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10099840)
On what channel? I think ABC may be showing the concert tomorrow evening.

Yes - it's not being shown here until tomorrow evening at 9 pm on ABC.

jasper123 Jun 4th 2012 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 10100073)
The concert was interesting. Lots of real oldies who I admire but who honestly can't sing anymore (Elton John and Paul McCartney for example) and then quite a few new young stars (Jessie J for example), but a whole missing generation of the best of British music. I'm assuming it's because those artists didn't want to appear, which is a reminder that the Royal Family hasn't always been as popular as it is today. For many of my generation, they were irrelevant at best and thus we had no Noel Gallagher, no New Order, no Elbow, no Smiths ...

I think in a way that speaks to what the Queen has been able to achieve, clawing them back to relevance after the death of Diana, so that new young artists actually want to be part of the celebrations.

The highlight for me was seeing the two Princes crack up at Peter Kay. Good to know they have a sense of humor!

The concert started off with someone called Robbie Williams, he screamed out a song and literally murdered it,
Then some cat from America called William, he wasent good but not terrible either, I thought the first hour was really boring with a lot of talentless unknowns, when Elton John came out looking all pudgy and sounding like he needs to just hang it all up and retire, his first song was one of his oldest most boring ones so I knew that was the time for me to escape the agony and went to the kitchen and made me and Mum something to eat, when I came back guess what he was still singing :eek: ----- or whatever you call it!!! I guess you have guessed I have never liked Elton John, never!!!! theres only one other that I dislike even more then him and thats Phil Collins, remember him, I dont think he does anything anymore, he probably just sits at home and counts all his money these days, I wish Elton would do the same ;)
Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey along with Stevie Wonder stole the whole show between them, all legends in there own right,
I thought Paul Mcartney winded up the show very well with an arrangement of some early Beetles songs, and then there was a breathtaking Firework display, 50,000 fireworks no less, Ive seen a lot of good ones but this one topped em all!!!!