British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

brithampton Feb 21st 2012 3:22 am

Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9908679)
57 days until we move. We're leaving a few days before the closing and giving our lawyer power of attorney to handle the closing for us. Apparently it's quite common now for sellers to do that.

I don't actually know when we get the money Mummy. I had assumed it was on closing day but whether the money actually arrives in the account right away, I don't know. I can ask our attorney and let you know.

As for the bank accounts - we've opened an HSBC account here and they are now opening a UK account for us. When we leave, we'll leave the US account open. Once the house sale money hits the US account, we'll just transfer the money from the house sale electronically from the US branch to the UK branch. (International transfers within HSBC don't incur any transaction fees as I understand it). So no waiting around on this end - if I have to wait, I'd rather do it on that end!

cheers, yes we're going to North Yorkshire at first. Cumbria's broadband is just too slow to handle our business needs at the moment, although it's received a huge grant from the government to upgrade, so we're hopeful that we can still move there when we're ready to buy. For now I'm really excited as I love the area we're heading for :) The very best thing is that my favorite place in all the world (Swaledale) will be just a hour and 15 minutes away. I can't wait to go there! And to Flamborough Head! And to York! And to Castle Howard! And to Fountains Abbey!

But as someone said, it's scary too. I feel like my hair is standing on end! :eek:

Congratulations Sally, I am pleased and excited for you! When are you going to write your "moving back home" book for all us ex-pats?!
Re. the closing and getting the $ - it's all very old fashioned. Everyone sits in a room and they go over the title and all the documents (e.g. the mortgage note if applicable and title insurance, etc) and then all the checks are written by the attorneys - to the seller, the bank (if applicable) and to the real estate brokerage firms that were involved in the deal. We came out of a closing once with a check that we then deposited ourselves, so I guess if your attorney is doing that for you, then he will deposit it for you on the day of closing. Congrats again and good luck on the other side of the pond - hope you will keep us updated when you are over there!

jemima55 Feb 21st 2012 2:09 pm

We`ve signed up a realtor and the house will go on mid March, although I`ve said if anyone wants to look at it in the meantime thats fine with me!
I`m clearing out the closets, and (although I am the one who REALLY wants to go back) I`m nervous, nervous, nervous! Anybody else feel/felt the same?
I`ll have to remember that moving house is one of those top most stressful events!

Mummy in the foothills Feb 21st 2012 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by jemima55 (Post 9913136)
We`ve signed up a realtor and the house will go on mid March, although I`ve said if anyone wants to look at it in the meantime thats fine with me!
I`m clearing out the closets, and (although I am the one who REALLY wants to go back) I`m nervous, nervous, nervous! Anybody else feel/felt the same?
I`ll have to remember that moving house is one of those top most stressful events!

Congratulations, all that clearing stuff out is very stressful too.
Dh is doing the garage slowly each week on his days off, he gets rid of stuff.

sallysimmons Feb 21st 2012 3:27 pm

Congrats!!

I felt more nervous when we were at the getting ready stage of the selling process. I felt sad about leaving the house and worried I would miss it too much. But once it was all de-cluttered and spiffed up, I found I was less worried. And now that I know the new owners, I feel as though I am disengaging from this life and preparing for a new one.

But I do keep feeling flashes of panic - I think that's just normal when you're making such a big change as this one. Good luck with everything!!

formula Feb 21st 2012 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9910521)
O2 has virtually the same download speeds as Virgin shown here (on the Virgin website:ohmy:)

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadban...explained.html

and in some cases higher so you wouldn't have to go down in speed unless you are going for the 30mbps which seems like a bit of overkill. What is your business Sally? I remember Cheers asking but you didn't respond.

Thought others may be interested in the comparative stats.
O2 gets rave reviews on other sites I have looked at.

Don't forget to sign up for broadband through a cashback site like www.topcashback.co.uk (clear your cookies before going onto the site to place an order). £121.20 cashback for o2 at the moment.:thumbsup: In fact, don't forget to use the cashback sites for just about anything:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Virgin doesn't have the best feedback; you can google it or look on www.moneysavingexpert.com under the 'Home and Play' section. I'm with o2 and very pleased with the performance and customer service. I could use virgin, but I choose not to.

The samknows site is in the UK too and gives a good idea of what broadband you can get in each area.

jemima55 Feb 21st 2012 3:56 pm

This is so nice, being able to get some views of what`s good and what`s not before having to make those choices again!

sallysimmons Feb 21st 2012 3:58 pm

What is your business Sally? I remember Cheers asking but you didn't respond.
Just saw this question. I wasn't trying to be rude, but I didn't respond to cheers because I'd rather not share that information on the web.

But the nature of our work means we're heavily reliant on the Internet and speed is very important to us. Most people have no idea what speeds they're getting, nor does it matter. But if you have 3 or 4 people all using the web at the same time as we do, each streaming video, downloading huge files, and using large cloud-based applications, it becomes a real issue. That's why we don't have the choice - we need fiber optic, so BT Infinity or Virgin it is.

jasper123 Feb 21st 2012 11:00 pm

Are you kidding? :) I think everyone of us who has already made it back home will agree that the actual declutering, sorting, donating, selling stuff, chucking stuff away is the hardest most stressful thing that we had to do to make it all happen,
I had no house to sell ----- Im thankful for that cause it made my move so much easier and far less complicated then many on here, and it got me home much sooner, all I had to do was set a date and pay for the plane ticket, but my date was 10 months on, so I had plenty of time to do everything, but even so I still found myself running around and panicking in the last few days, ------ and thats when you start to really get nervous, I started to question myself on my decision to come home, like what am I doing? :unsure:
I mean after 36 years away from home it really is such a huge move, and in the last few days your mind is racing and thinking of all kinds of negatives that at that particular point of time ---- like days before your flight ---- should not be in your head at all,

But lucky for me I had a good friend to sort me out and calm me down and keep me on the right track :D ----- then before you know it your looking out this little window watching the buildings below getting smaller and smaller and then a lovely flight attendant smiles and says would you like a drink :D

Anyway its all worth it in the end ----- no matter what you have to go through to get here, just get here!!!!!
Good luck,
Rodney.

Lorna at Vicenza Feb 21st 2012 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9914091)

Anyway its all worth it in the end ----- no matter what you have to go through to get here, just get here!!!!!
Good luck,
Rodney.

What's that song that goes something like " you can reach me by airplane. You can reach me by ........ I don't care how you get here. Just get here if you can."

????? Anybody?

jemima55 Feb 21st 2012 11:31 pm

I had a bit of a boost today. I`ve kept in touch with my colleagues from where I worked before we moved and one said there were likely to be jobs coming up in the autumn. For various reasons, including ill health, I havent worked in the States, but the idea that I could go back to what I was doing (which I loved) really put a spring in my step! Maybe it`ll happen, maybe it wont, but the idea that it might cheered me up!

blackcatsfan Feb 21st 2012 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 9914118)
What's that song that goes something like " you can reach me by airplane. You can reach me by ........ I don't care how you get here. Just get here if you can."

????? Anybody?

It's called "Get Here" by Oleta Adams - great song :)

jemima55 Feb 21st 2012 11:43 pm

I love you, Rodney!

sallysimmons Feb 22nd 2012 1:10 am

Originally Posted by jemima55 (Post 9914151)
I had a bit of a boost today. I`ve kept in touch with my colleagues from where I worked before we moved and one said there were likely to be jobs coming up in the autumn. For various reasons, including ill health, I havent worked in the States, but the idea that I could go back to what I was doing (which I loved) really put a spring in my step! Maybe it`ll happen, maybe it wont, but the idea that it might cheered me up!

What great news!

One thing I've learned from this move is that if it's meant to be, things will fall into place for you. This sounds like one of those things. I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress!

Mummy in the foothills Feb 22nd 2012 1:43 am

Originally Posted by jemima55 (Post 9914151)

Thats wonderful heres hoping the timing is right and you fall back in with people you know and get to work:fingerscrossed:
So what did you sort and de clutter today?
We loaded up a welder that Dh has to take with him to a friend tomorrow and sold a trailer to a nice lady who has miniature horses.
The garage looks bigger already and it still has two cars in.

Ethelred_the_Unready Feb 22nd 2012 2:42 am

Birmingham gets such a bad rep. It's actually a really great city and well strategically placed. I miss it...whether walking down New Street, the botanical gardens, Edgbaston, Sutton Park, the science museum, the Pallisades, the amazing art gallery, the Rotunda, New Street station, the clubs & bars on Broad Street, the plethora of canals, the friendly people, the homely suburbs such as Kings Heath and Shirley and the endless Indian restaurants. Add to that, cross the M5/M6 and you're into the Black Country.