Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:03 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
420 miles one way.
When you have confidence in your doctor its not too far. "he saved my life"
He was the cardiologist who implanted the defibrillator and avoided DW having to have a heart transplant.

Currently petrol is £1.95 per US gallon.
I was just going to say you are dreaming till I saw the £ sign, we are now officially over $4 a gallon and rising here.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:10 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I think I might be about to lose it

I'm trying to get a ton of work done while also securing a place to live, finishing the sale of our house, arranging a move, getting the cats sorted out and getting our banking done. When I say 'I' I'm not doing it alone - my husband is handling half of it - but man this is hard!

This morning my husband was on the phone to HSBC in the UK while I tried to negotiate for a rental property (which we didn't get) and then my cell phone started ringing and it was the cat moving company wanting to know if our cats had been chipped yet. Meantime, I have client deadlines and if I don't find time to get to the DMV, I'm going to be without a driving license in a few weeks. ARRRGGHH!!!

Remind me why I'm doing all this again.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I was just going to say you are dreaming till I saw the £ sign, we are now officially over $4 a gallon and rising here.
$3.08 here today.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
$3.08 here today.
Lucky beggar.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:51 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

I'm trying to get a ton of work done while also securing a place to live, finishing the sale of our house, arranging a move, getting the cats sorted out and getting our banking done. When I say 'I' I'm not doing it alone - my husband is handling half of it - but man this is hard!

This morning my husband was on the phone to HSBC in the UK while I tried to negotiate for a rental property (which we didn't get) and then my cell phone started ringing and it was the cat moving company wanting to know if our cats had been chipped yet. Meantime, I have client deadlines and if I don't find time to get to the DMV, I'm going to be without a driving license in a few weeks. ARRRGGHH!!!

Makes you want to It'll be just a bad memory in the not to distant future.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Has anyone had an update from Trotty I wonder how she and Mr Trotty are doing.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Been there done that (though not exactly the same circs) and it IS hard.
It's like that feeling you have the night before going on holiday--WHY am I doing this??---only one-hundred-fold!
Seems there's just too much to do....but it does get done. Remember to look after yourself. Don't rush, don't lift heavy stuff.
Good luck!
Yes, it WILL all be a distant memory soon!

Tina
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Where`s the guy with the "Coming soon" board, prior to the "For sale" board?
Honestly, it`s been three days since signing up with the realtors. In the UK they`d have had it up by the end of the afternoon!
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

about $10 per gallon in these here neck of the woods,
Thank goodness I have a free bus pass
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I'll tell you mine as soon as the move becomes public knowledge. At the moment I am at the decluttering stage and you know what that is like. It is a bit overwhelming, but I am trying to do it in bite size chunks.
Thats the way you should do it if you have the time ----- bite size chunks I like that
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 10:11 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Been there done that (though not exactly the same circs) and it IS hard.
It's like that feeling you have the night before going on holiday--WHY am I doing this??---only one-hundred-fold!
Seems there's just too much to do....but it does get done. Remember to look after yourself. Don't rush, don't lift heavy stuff.
Good luck!
Yes, it WILL all be a distant memory soon!

Tina
Thanks Tina. I really didn't think it would be as hard as it is. I had forgotten that with our last two international moves, someone did all the arranging for us. We just got on a plane and went where the company told us. Plus we left our jobs and then restarted work at the other end. But we are trying to do all this ourselves and keep up our normal work schedule. Frankly it's too much and if we don't find a way to slow down, something will give.

Today we booked our flights (and the cats' flights!) and put down a deposit on a temporary rental property in North Yorkshire, so at least we are making progress. But I start out each day feeling OK and then slowly get a headache as the day goes on. It's 6pm and I still have about 3 hours of work ahead of me. *sigh*

When I start throwing a pity party for myself, I have to remember that a) all this is only happening because I wanted it to and b) I'm lucky to have work to do in this economy.

I'm sure I'll feel better after a glass or three of wine
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

That brings back a whole lot of painful memories for me when I was at your stage of getting everything taken care of, and even when your just a lone guy like me with no house to sell, ----- believe me I still had all the other worries of getting my licence renewed before it expired, and all the bank stuff to deal with, I had to sell my car within a week of leaving, just about got that taken care of with just days to spare,
This is it ----- we all know how HUGE and life changing this move is and we dont take it lightly either, and we do like were supposed to do, we make that all important (LIST) of every little thing we have to do before we can move, and we know we cant forget a single detail, once were on that plane its too late to suddenly remember a couple of very important things that you forgot to do at the last minute like post office getting your mail redirected, UTILITIES make that phone call and turn off the gas and electric and phone and water and garbage and cable tv,
BANK, you got to physically go in to your branch and fill out a form so they know you will be out of the country indefinitely, thats if you intend to keep an American bank account open, and I recommend EVERYONE do that even if its just so all your last utility final bills are paid when they come in after your departure, if you dont tell your bank that your leaving ---- the very moment you try to use your debit card in another country your account will be locked, and when your say 6,000 miles away trying to get it unlocked it will take quite a few days and what a pain in the rear that would be,
Anyway Sally and everyone else, GOOD LUCK, and remember everything, all the hard work your doing now is all going to pay off when you are finally home where you belong, Just think about it, you can actually walk into a store and buy a lovely packet of chocolate digestives, Hmmmmm
and the (brains brand) faggots are to die for, faggots, peas & mash potatoes, love it!!!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 11:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Oh no Rodney your making me nervous.
We don't want to keep a US bank open. Someone told me (no idea if it's true) if we have a CA bank account, that we have to file state taxes as well as federal. I have to look into that.
As for utility bills, I hadn't thought of that. I wonder how long it takes them to get a bill out so we can pay before leaving. OMG it gets worse, I'll be waking with cold sweats next.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no Rodney your making me nervous.
We don't want to keep a US bank open. Someone told me (no idea if it's true) if we have a CA bank account, that we have to file state taxes as well as federal. I have to look into that.
As for utility bills, I hadn't thought of that. I wonder how long it takes them to get a bill out so we can pay before leaving. OMG it gets worse, I'll be waking with cold sweats next.
Rodney comes from a no personal income tax state (Nevada)
Can't speak for you but my gas bill comes out promptly, same day.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
OMG
Has anyone had their house staged? My lot have just left (initial visit).
My house makes perfect sense to me and is simple in layout, sitting room, kitchen, dining room etc . They want to create all these interesting little areas and break up arrangements and it all seems "bitty" to me. I suppose they know what they`re about! Perhaps its a stage in "letting go" of the place. I was probably a bit of a pain after watching the "House Doctor" for years!
Weird .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.