Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Dec 4th 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sorted for you
Pollyana, thanks a lot, your the best,
and what trotty said is true, a while ago we did have just a few new members that seemed to me bad apples and the atmosphere on this thread was getting a little uncomfortable, and we did at the time over about 6 months loose a lot of really great people on this thread,
But I have seen it get close to what it was when it started, and it feels nice now, as for me ------ well I think everyone that knows me on here know that if it was not for this over 50,s thread I would not be home with my Mum right now, and enjoying my retirement, without all the support from all the people on here still and all the ones that unfortunately left I probably would still be in America, I needed that push from everyone, no one was more scared then me, I really wanted to come home, but!!!!! well you know,

As for Cheers, well Im sure he posted those old posts of mine in good faith,
we know he should have asked me first, and if he did I would have said absolutely not, but then unfortunately he reacted in the wrong way to some peoples comments and pissed a lot of people off including you, and quite rightly so too,
But I do think that deep down he has a good heart and I just think he has had a lot of worries lately about his health etc etc,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Pollyana..I am sorry you were treated so badly back in the old days it did get pretty nasty and we lost alot of really nice people. I thought recently we had begun to be nicer to one another I think it might be a good idea if you are thinking of quoting someone else's post to ask them first if they mind. I know over the years I have changed my mind over different subjects and on my views on going home.

Jasper123...Nice to hear from you hope all is well with you. Whenever I hear 'I'll be home for Christmas' it always brings tears to my eyes and I think of you.
Ohhhh Avril now your bringing tears to (MY) eyes,
Listen my Dad always told me if you worry about something, whatever your worrying about wont get any better by worrying,
trotty you and Hubby (WILL) be home one day, you will see!!!! this is just a little delay, lifes like that.
God bless you ---- you wonderful lady.
Love Rodney.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 1:38 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Well this board has been a bit maudlin of late, so I hope this cheers you all up! (from "Monty Python's 'Life of Brian')

And I defy anyone not to want to get up and dance to this catchy song...I love it!

Last edited by Englishmum; Dec 5th 2011 at 2:04 am.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 4:35 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

SHOPPING TIP

A little tip for those looking for furniture, check out the eBay shops as I have just found out this week that some sell ex catalogue goods.

For instance I have seen a sofa that I love for £405 inc delivery, this is Argos stock from the last catalogue and was retailing for £800!!

Also I had ordered a bed online and they have a chest of drawers and a bedside cabinet I liked, I asked if they had a clearer picture and was told to go to the Tesco catalogue online (current!!). I did and the drawers were selling for £130 I just ordered them from eBay for £75.00 and the bedside cabinets at Tesco are £70 and mine are £40.00 each. I wasn't going to order them as they come in flatpacks and need power tools for assembly so when I told the eBay shop I couldn't order them because of this, they have said for £10 they will assemble them all for me!!!

I am a very happy shopper.

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 6th 2011 at 5:18 am.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 9:01 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I've started up a new thread in the Rovers Return, so let's get some Christmas spirit going on, please do join in.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...04#post9772904
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Went to Chemo Class yesterday if then intended to scare the pants of me they cetainly did. It took me hours to get back to normal.

On a lighter note when we got home our lovely little scottie had somehow manage to get a hold of a piece of the fitted carpet from outside of her cage and unravel a strip 2inches wide and 3ft long. She had all the thread in the cage with her thankfully she had not chewed it. I did look for a piece of replacement carpet but they didnt have any. So I spent this morning glueing the thread back into place. Not unlike re-knitting a sweater that got unravelled. It doesnt look bad I dont think you can see the join.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Went to Chemo Class yesterday if then intended to scare the pants of me they cetainly did. It took me hours to get back to normal.

On a lighter note when we got home our lovely little scottie had somehow manage to get a hold of a piece of the fitted carpet from outside of her cage and unravel a strip 2inches wide and 3ft long. She had all the thread in the cage with her thankfully she had not chewed it. I did look for a piece of replacement carpet but they didnt have any. So I spent this morning glueing the thread back into place. Not unlike re-knitting a sweater that got unravelled. It doesnt look bad I dont think you can see the join.
((hugs)) on the chemo scare
Well done on the carpet knitting, aren't you talented!
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
SHOPPING TIP

A little tip for those looking for furniture, check out the eBay shops as I have just found out this week that some sell ex catalogue goods.

For instance I have seen a sofa that I love for £405 inc delivery, this is Argos stock from the last catalogue and was retailing for £800!!

Also I had ordered a bed online and they have a chest of drawers and a bedside cabinet I liked, I asked if they had a clearer picture and was told to go to the Tesco catalogue online (current!!). I did and the drawers were selling for £130 I just ordered them from eBay for £75.00 and the bedside cabinets at Tesco are £70 and mine are £40.00 each. I wasn't going to order them as they come in flatpacks and need power tools for assembly so when I told the eBay shop I couldn't order them because of this, they have said for £10 they will assemble them all for me!!!

I am a very happy shopper.
I'll bet your new apartment will be cosy and gorgeous :-)
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Naughty puppy......in two weeks I'll have a couple of my own. Lizzie has started to waddle and her head looks so small in comparison to her body ;-(
Trotty it will be so nice to come home from chemo and hug a puppy........
Take care xx
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief, however did you manage to get that unravelled carpet back together? Must have been very painstaking work.

So sorry the Chemo Class was scary....hope you have your pants back on now

Tina
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear you had a bad time. Hopefully the next session will be easier on you.

I don't want to alarm you Totty but keep your eye on her. If she becomes lethargic or develops a small lump on her tummy take her to the vet immediately. One of my dogs once swallowed a length of carpet thread...
Old Dec 6th 2011, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

trottytrue, I read all your posts. My brother did chemo and radation in 2010. he did fine w/chemo but everyone is different. the radiation was a different ball game. i just wish you all the best..
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the move Bee and the good shopping deals! Are you all settled in now?

Thought y'all (did spend years in N'Orleans ) might be interested in this:

http://genealogyblog.geneanet.org/in...ry-Online.html

Old Dec 7th 2011, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou all for you kind thoughts. I think when they have these classes its something like when you get a prescription, they tell you every type of bad reaction you could possibly have.

Fullwood.. Glad to hear your brother did well with the Chemo at least I dont have to have radiation therapy.

Jerseygirl...I shall keep an eye on Gabby I dont think she ate any of the thread just did a great job unravelling the carpet. Good job we came home when we did or else the whole thing might have been gone.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 6:01 am
Just Joined

bushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nice

Thankyou all for you kind thoughts. I think when they have these classes its something like when you get a prescription, they tell you every type of bad reaction you could possibly have.

Fullwood.. Glad to hear your brother did well with the Chemo at least I dont have to have radiation therapy.

Jerseygirl...I shall keep an eye on Gabby I dont think she ate any of the thread just did a great job unravelling the carpet. Good job we came home when we did or else the whole thing might have been gone.
Dear Trotty... de-lurking to try and offer hope and support.

I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma 4.5 yrs ago.

Had a huge chunk of my leg cut out, chemo, radiation... the lot.

Then it metastasized and I had further treatment.... more surgery and same stuff again, but didn't seem to touch it, and I had a very bad (terminal) prognosis.

Then last year some very new treatment specifically for melanoma became available and - very long story made short - I was treated with it and have been one of the 20% who have had complete success. I am now living cancer-free.

There were times I thought it wasn't worth it.... times I wanted to give up because it didn't seem worth it... Boy, am I glad now that I didn't, as I am about (fingers crossed) to live the dream of returning to the UK.

Chemo affected me badly to start with, but they CAN treat the side effects and make it (almost) bearable.

And... I am a shining example that it IS worth it. When I started all my treatment, there was nothing apart from the tried and tested (and almost useless) surgery, chemo, radiation treatment route for Melanoma, now there are things offering hope.

Please pm me, or email me (if you still have my email addy) if you need to talk privately, or just want some support.

Very best wishes...
Fiona

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.