Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 17th 2012, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Lorac, we've told them and they're all very excited. I keep warning them that it still might all go wrong, but they can't help but get hopeful. Friends are also promising a big party so it's all very exciting

I didn't tell you guys the best bit - we feed some stray cats in our neighborhood and we were really worried about how they would fare after we left. When the new owners made their offer, they sent word that they noticed the cat plates outside and also love cats. They said they'd be happy to keep feeding the two that we look after. This just means the world to us! We met them when they did the home inspection and they explained that they also feed strays where they are now.
How wonderful.....they sound like great people.....animal lovers :-)
Old Jan 17th 2012, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Sally, wonderful news, I'll keep my fingers crossed that it all closes smoothly, they sound like lovely people, got to love people who feed stray cats

Fish, really feel for you, it certainly has been a roller coaster for you, hopefully a buyer will come your way soon.

I haven't gone back through all the most recent posts but have we heard from
Charleygirl recently? Seems like its been a while and things sounded a bit rough for her at that point, hopefully she's found a perfect job so as to take some of the financial pressure off.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Well, Rodney and Bee, your fingers and toes must have done the trick. The inspection went well and the buyers don't want any repairs or price reductions - they just want to sign the contracts and get on with it!!

This is still contingent on a mortgage but they have a 20% downpayment, so they seem like a pretty good bet financially.

This is me thinking of all we have to get done in the next few weeks But nothing can dampen my excitement today
Congrats Sally So excited for you
Old Jan 17th 2012, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thats awful. Had you already accepted her offer? If so don't you get to keep the small amount they deposit in escrow once an offer is accepted at least it might off set some of the work you had started to do.
Oh yes Mummy the offer had been accepted and I had signed to say I would fix/replace everything on the Home Inspection list.

Id even taken the day off work so that I could get estimates for the recalled heaters to be replaced, I also got a plumber in to do two minor items, replace a piece of pipe 3 inches long that the Inspector thought could be a future problem, he said two different metals, Galvanized pipe and Copper pipe had come into contact causing electrolysis and this could cause the pipe to rust out in the future, the pipe was on the water heater, (fair enough) the plumber also tightened a drain under the vanity that was slightly loose, it took him longer to find it than fix it, just a half a turn was all it needed, it was from the arm that releases the plug in the sink, both were an easy fix, 25 minutes, it cost me $100 (Minimum charge), it was something I could have fixed myself but these Home Inspectors asked for an Invoice to prove all work was carried out by a licensed and Insured professional, It was no big deal, all of the work only comes to $1500, I figured that was worth it to get a sale be official and keep me out of the loop, I don't touch electrical anyway.

The earnest money $1000 got to be a Big subject and a Headache for me, Yes it was rightfully mine as the lady had broke the contract, I just thought the earnest money became mine automatically, but that's not how it works at least in this state, my realtor and the broker warned me that if I didn't sign to release the money the buyer could have done the same and that would have left the money in the title companies hands till someone decided to go to small claims court and fight it out, my realtor says that happens quite often, I figured the lady was older and I should just be nice and let her have her money back even though I was not a happy camper and had spent money and lost a days work, I also thought if I held onto the money and she had second thoughts she maybe mad at me and not come back anyway, so for me it would have only been a small win anyway, my Realtor didn't try to bend my arm, she was trying to let me know what goes on and willing to do anything I wished.

Its awful letting a buyer get away especially in my position, I decided to write her a letter on Friday and sent it Saturday, she should have it today, hopefully she will change her mind and continue on but I doubt it, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain at this point, if she decides to look at other homes I hope their inspection goes lousy, not to be awful but at least then she will realize that my parents home really is very good.

Its been 17 years since I last sold a home, Ive had radon tests before but never a Home Inspection, its certainly opened my eyes, the items the Home Inspector found have to be fixed or disclosed to the next buyer, so you cant get away from fixing them, heaters are a safety issue in my eyes so I will fix them anyway.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
Fish, really feel for you, it certainly has been a roller coaster for you, hopefully a buyer will come your way soon.

I haven't gone back through all the most recent posts but have we heard from
Charleygirl recently? Seems like its been a while and things sounded a bit rough for her at that point, hopefully she's found a perfect job so as to take some of the financial pressure off.
Thankyou, I hope so too...

I was wondering about Charley too, its been at least a month...
Old Jan 17th 2012, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Just popping on after a bit of an absence--busy Christmas season and so on--to say:

how exciting, Sally, about your house! Inspection OK, now for the final stages--fingers crossed all goes well!

And hello and Happy New Year to all--lovely to see the ongoing stories and conversations...

Hope, Trotty, your treatment continues well ...

I too hope all's OK with Charleygirl, and getting easier....

Jackie, great to see you pop on a few pages back and say hello--it's so good to know you're at peace with your decision to return to the US..

Warm wishes to all,

Tina.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Lorac, we've told them and they're all very excited. I keep warning them that it still might all go wrong, but they can't help but get hopeful. Friends are also promising a big party so it's all very exciting

I didn't tell you guys the best bit - we feed some stray cats in our neighborhood and we were really worried about how they would fare after we left. When the new owners made their offer, they sent word that they noticed the cat plates outside and also love cats. They said they'd be happy to keep feeding the two that we look after. This just means the world to us! We met them when they did the home inspection and they explained that they also feed strays where they are now.
Sally from where Im standing it all looks pretty darn perfect for you, and the new owners seem caring people too and cat lovers, how wonderful is that me dear?
You had better start the ball rolling so you can come and live in Pompey
as soon as you can : we have some really nice house rentals here, did you know that Portsmouth is the only genuine (Island city) in England, the sea is absolutely everywhere, I love it ----- especially after living all those years in the desert
Old Jan 17th 2012, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Fish thats absolutely heart breaking for you, as has already been said ----- you certainly do deserve a break my friend, its hard I know but dont give up,
your luck has to change, really good vibes are being sent out right now by express delivery to you from Pompey,
Old Jan 17th 2012, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

My 92 year old Mum is going in for her knee replacement Operation on Thursday, she only had to wait half of the usual 18 weeks for the date of the Op, Im sure everything will be OK and the operation will go well for her, but well you know its hard not to worry isn't it given her age and all, they say she will be in quite a lot of pain after the Op when she is at home resting and while the knee is healing, probably for some time, and she dont like taking strong drugs to kill pain,
Rodney,
PS I would really appreciate some real good vibes to my Mum coming from all my friends out there in cyberspace, her name is Phyllis,
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:35 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rodney, I'm sending good thoughts to your mum. And if it helps, my 97 year-old gran had hip replacement surgery a few months ago and came through it as strong as ever. Sadly she has Alzheimers and her memory loss complicates the recovery, but physically she's doing great. I know your mum will be the same.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:12 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
My 92 year old Mum is going in for her knee replacement Operation on Thursday, she only had to wait half of the usual 18 weeks for the date of the Op, Im sure everything will be OK and the operation will go well for her, but well you know its hard not to worry isn't it given her age and all, they say she will be in quite a lot of pain after the Op when she is at home resting and while the knee is healing, probably for some time, and she dont like taking strong drugs to kill pain,
Rodney,
PS I would really appreciate some real good vibes to my Mum coming from all my friends out there in cyberspace, her name is Phyllis,
Get well quickly and with very little discomfort Rodneys Mum.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about cats are you preparing yours for their trip as I know that was a huge issue for you and your husband due to the age of a couple of them? Alos is your hubby freaking yet - I know he was the one who at one point had no intention of returning to the UK (at least that was my understanding from your prior comments). Is he still happy with the decision?
Old Jan 18th 2012, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Rodney,
Thanks for the best wishes Rodney, I never give up...

And Best wishes to your Mum, I'm hoping she does just fine...
Old Jan 18th 2012, 10:24 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

All the very best to Phyllis, hoping all will be well and sending good vibes along the River Thames to her.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 18th 2012 at 12:12 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 11:21 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Talking about cats are you preparing yours for their trip as I know that was a huge issue for you and your husband due to the age of a couple of them? Alos is your hubby freaking yet - I know he was the one who at one point had no intention of returning to the UK (at least that was my understanding from your prior comments). Is he still happy with the decision?
The cats are a little less of an issue now because sadly, the two that were quite sick passed away this year. We just have two now and, while they'll both be terrified by the experience, they are in good health. I worry about them but I know we just all have to get through it.

My husband seems to be as excited as me. He takes a long time to make a decision like this, but once he has, he's usually very sure about it. So he's fully on board. Of course, there's always a chance he won't feel that way once we're home, but I suppose there's always that chance with me too. For now we're both in the same boat - excited to be going home and dreading all that has to happen before we get there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.