Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

And it ends with a good joke!
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Only prettier ;-) Plus, it's the Dowager Countess to you!

Well, we received an offer on the house today!! The very first people who came to see it on Saturday made an offer first thing this morning.

Of course, this is all contingent on inspections and mortgage appraisal, so nothing will be settled for weeks yet, but we're very excited and a little panicked
Great news Sally, Just relax and keep calm, all you need is a few more offers and one of em will be the one who will be the lucky new owner, and then your have a smile on your face from ear to ear me dear ------- and then we will all be breaking out the bubbly to celebrate with you

Last edited by jasper123; Jan 10th 2012 at 10:25 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Hi all,

I posted this yesterday in the Trailer Park Forum ..

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744375

It's posts by Americans from the, " Yankee in the UK site, " talking about what they like about living in the UK.

I think anybody who is moving back would appreciate this thread. Here's a direct link.... http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=3338.0
Thanks for that link, I only read the first page and my thoughts were Passion, People are passionate about the UK and isnt that Lovely...

I'm not sure I agree that Americans are more materialistic, I've always thought the UK was more of a Jones's type of society, even now some Brit's seem to be so impressed by designer labels, just give me Quality at a fair price...

Americans always seemed materialistic on TV and Film, then I came to live here and thought how wrong I was, and still today I think the same is true...
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
But please let her call into Shropshire, on the way north! love Don xx
Well yes thats OK for you Don ------ and Barb, but I really think that it would be only fitting that she come to visit me first, after all its only one and half hours train ride from Waterloo to where I am
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:40 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Well yes thats OK for you Don ------ and Barb, but I really think that it would be only fitting that she come to visit me first, after all its only one and half hours train ride from Waterloo to where I am
Awww, you're all making me blush
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:42 am
Just Joined

brithampton is an unknown quantity at this point

We're ready mentally, but we have an awful lot to do and some of it we can't do until the offer is finalized and the contract is signed.

We need to find a rental in the UK We're using a home finder service that another BE member recommended. They'll go out and look at properties for us and send us reports by email. It's an expense, but it's cheaper than the two of us flying back to drive around the north of England looking at houses. (We lose money when we travel because we're not working).

Honestly, I'm a little bit stunned right now! And trying not to count my chickens because I know how easily this could all fall apart.
Congrats Sally, good for you! That's fantastic and hopefully it will all go smoothly. Similar thing happened to my friends a couple of years ago - they sold much faster than they anticipated and ended up doing a 6 or 8 week rental in Battery Park (which they enjoyed actually) and then they got a house immediately when they returned to London. It was so easy, it was ridiculous! I still think you should write a "how to" guide to doing this - you seem to have thought it all through very calmly and with a lot of detail. I think about moving back to UK so many times a day that I can't think straight !!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold
Default When is a contract not a contract post

ohhhhhhh I posted this evening and cant figure out how to copy it to this thread ............ oh in tired now
Old Jan 12th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Hi all,

I posted this yesterday in the Trailer Park Forum ..

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744375

It's posts by Americans from the, " Yankee in the UK site, " talking about what they like about living in the UK.

I think anybody who is moving back would appreciate this thread. Here's a direct link.... http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=3338.0
Hi Coastie,
Thanks for posting that link for UK yankees, so interesting and all I read was one compleat page, I will read the rest later, these kinds of thoughts and comments from Americans living in the U.K. are not just helpful to the people on here that are due to be leaving for there new life coming home in the future ---- but also for the people like me and Barb and Charleygirl and Don and John and June and all the rest who have already made the Quantum Leap back home, especially when its been only a few months or say less then 2 years home, we get those moments of ------ well you know, and reading those positive comments from the Americans that have been here for years really would help most of us already here or getting ready to come,
Rodney.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brithampton
Congrats Sally, good for you! That's fantastic and hopefully it will all go smoothly. Similar thing happened to my friends a couple of years ago - they sold much faster than they anticipated and ended up doing a 6 or 8 week rental in Battery Park (which they enjoyed actually) and then they got a house immediately when they returned to London. It was so easy, it was ridiculous! I still think you should write a "how to" guide to doing this - you seem to have thought it all through very calmly and with a lot of detail. I think about moving back to UK so many times a day that I can't think straight !!
Brithampton,
Hello and a great big welcome from me to you, ------ we love new members, we love to hear new stories of other people who are going through the stages that either we are going through or have gone through to get here,
I left America around 13 months ago to come home, I have absolutely no regrets, I know I keep saying this but I really dont, I love being home finally,
Why dont you pull up a chair ---- put the kettle on ----- and tell us about yourself ------ AND (YOUR) story, everyone has a story to tell, over to you what part of the WORLD do you live in?
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 1:09 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, brithampton I'm keen to hear too.

I'm sure everyone can empathize with that feeling of being overwhelmed with all that has to be done. But all I can say is that it does get done eventually. For a long time as you're preparing, you feel as if you're not making any progress. But it's a bit like walking up a long, slow hill. You keep going and going and you don't seem to be getting much higher. And then all of a sudden, you turn around and look behind you, and see everything spread out below, and you're just shocked at how far you've come.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

We`re in the position of having more furniture now than we brought over in the container so I`m questioning everything as to whether I really need to take it back. That feels a bit like climbing a mountain.
We`ve been here five years so I guess I can apply that rule, if I havent used it in five years I probably dont need it! Except for sentimental things of course.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Awww, you're all making me blush
Hello Sally - That's settled then - Pistols at dawn! Don
Old Jan 14th 2012, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this was very interesting about a Brit leaving Florida and going back to England and getting a dream job.

1 Month Update - Going Great and Loving Being Back!!
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:25 pm
Finally Home!

Tonight is a little bit nerve-wracking because tomorrow morning our potential house buyers are having the inspection done. I'm just really hoping they don't find anything that causes a problem.

We've had viewings every day since we put the house up for sale but this is our only offer so far, so we really don't want it to fall through.

Keep your fingers crossed for us!
Old Jan 15th 2012, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight is a little bit nerve-wracking because tomorrow morning our potential house buyers are having the inspection done. I'm just really hoping they don't find anything that causes a problem.

We've had viewings every day since we put the house up for sale but this is our only offer so far, so we really don't want it to fall through.

Keep your fingers crossed for us!
Fingers and toes crossed.......xxxxxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.