Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Forgot to ask those who are home whats it like converting your money from the US to UK. Was it difficult.
Use XE.com - dozens of posts on this, so it would be easier to use the Advanced Search for previous posts that contain "XE.com" than wait for answers - you will get a much better rate from XE.com than if you use the high street bank.

Are you also asking about transferring money from US to UK? If so, same answer - XE.com is easy to use.

The exchange rate is pretty decent at the moment, too (about $1.55) - it was $2 to the £1 when I came back, which was horrible. I lost £5,000 when I converted money for the deposit on my house .... which has since dropped in value by about £40,000 (and it's not even a very expensive house).
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Rosie,
My laptop (IS) WIRELESS and my internet provider BT is wireless, I can take my laptop anywhere in the house, upstairs downstairs out in the garden on a nice day in the Summer
but you see the modem itself isn't wireless of course, it has to be plugged in to an outlet and also into the phone jack,
I just need a simple US type nice thin flexible regular run of the mill extension cord that is ten feet long, but so far it looks like the European standard cord for extension cords is the standard thick cord that we only use in US for surge protectors, try tacking that to the skirting board
take care,
Rodney.
Oh I get it The electric socket and the phone jack are far apart and need to be next to each other for the modem, not the computer and the modem.
I think Taffy ducks got it, a trip to the pub to ask who can make an extension cord just the right size
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

poppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nice

Forgot to ask those who are home whats it like converting your money from the US to UK. Was it difficult.
Although I'm not yet home, I've used XE.com on several occassions to convert currencies and transfer funds into my UK bank account. Very easy to set up an online account, although it does take a few days for them to verify your credentials and bank account info. As Dunrovin advised, there are numerous posts regarding XE.com; on the main USA forum, if I remember correctly.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Use XE.com - dozens of posts on this, so it would be easier to use the Advanced Search for previous posts that contain "XE.com" than wait for answers - you will get a much better rate from XE.com than if you use the high street bank.

Are you also asking about transferring money from US to UK? If so, same answer - XE.com is easy to use.

The exchange rate is pretty decent at the moment, too (about $1.55) - it was $2 to the £1 when I came back, which was horrible. I lost £5,000 when I converted money for the deposit on my house .... which has since dropped in value by about £40,000 (and it's not even a very expensive house).
Hey DR if that were me I would be grateful that they have good scotch whiskey there because I would be consuming it big time if I had see my assets bleed away like you have.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:13 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately my family is full of diabetes. My Gt. Nephew has type 1 he was diagnosed at 11 he went into a coma before they realized what he had he uses the pump. My brother has type 1 brought on by age by diet and drink he has injections. My nephew also has it he takes pills for it. Both my brother and nephew could improve greatly if they watched what they eat but they don't. My husband has the type that comes with age and has done very well when he keeps to his diet and came off the pills. Unfortunately he didnt do well this last time he went back for a checkup and had to go back on the pills.
My mum has the same type of diabetes as TT's husband I believe. She has cut right back on the sweets, biscuits, cakes etc. and seems to have it pretty much under control. She has a little machine where you take a bit of blood to test so you can keep an eye on yourself. She even tried it on me and I was fine. Thank goodness I don't have to give up the sweets, biscuits and cakes. Well not for diabetes anyway just for the ever expanding waistline.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 11th 2011 at 5:37 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppycat
Although I'm not yet home, I've used XE.com on several occassions to convert currencies and transfer funds into my UK bank account. Very easy to set up an online account, although it does take a few days for them to verify your credentials and bank account info. As Dunrovin advised, there are numerous posts regarding XE.com; on the main USA forum, if I remember correctly.
Thanks for this tip, mind you I just need some money to convert first.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cheers
Hey DR if that were me I would be grateful that they have good scotch whiskey there because I would be consuming it big time if I had see my assets bleed away like you have.
I agree Cheers, that fluctuating dollar is a killer for some.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

ldyinlv...I don't know how long it takes for your results to come back but the waiting is the worst. I remember when I had breast cancer waiting for the biopsy results was worse that knowing I had got it. So Good luck once thats out of the way you are home and free Just remember to take all your Dr records with you. My Dr. has said that he will put all my records onto a CD for me.
Thank you Trotty, yes the waiting is the worst part..it makes it hard to focus on anything else, but fingers crossed..
My doctor has told me he will give me my records, I dont think he will put them on a disk tho.
Jackie
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Well, I don't drink Scotch, but if I did, I'd be drinking it!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh lordy - paradise! I just had my first pickled onion! Sheer joy! wanted to share...
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Oh lordy - paradise! I just had my first pickled onion! Sheer joy! wanted to share...
OMG I LOVE pickled onions, my Mom makes her own, and always makes sure she has a new jar on hand when i go visit...she better get to picklin..lol
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:08 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
First ever? Or first since you got back?

Come back when you've had a pickled egg Those will put hair on your toenails as my dad used to say.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
First ever? Or first since you got back?

Come back when you've had a pickled egg Those will put hair on your toenails as my dad used to say.
First since returning in September... I remember pickled eggs from my pub visiting days in Devon. Not too keen on those. Sorry, apologies to your Dad.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:32 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Wimp!!

Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Wimp!!

lol..Sally..wow..how do you really feel???..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.