Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Nov 29th 2011, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Lara...

I hate to sound optimistic, but you hated the job, made close to minimum wage and was treated like a bimbo... Look on the positive side, you may get a job were you are appreciated, love your work and make more money, I'm sure it really is a bad night but soon things will get better for you, you've got each other, that has to be the most important thing although it may not seem that way until you get another job.

Id love to know what kind of job you did that made you a bimbo.

Christmas, we cut back 15 years ago, I'm not proud to say there have been many lean Birthdays and Christmas's since we went self employed, we just don't have the money we used to have, we look at life differently, we don't buy each other large Christmas or Birthday presents, usually we buy something small or something we both need, It's kind of taken the fun out of Christmas for us but when you have very little to spend you just make do and appreciate the things in life that really matter like getting up every morning healthy, most of the stuff we bought before was pointless crap anyway.
We refuse to use a credit card for gifts we don't need and can't really afford, why owe the banks money? its just a stupid game.

I wish you well, maybe you could get a Christmas job for now, My fingers are truly crossed for you.
The thing is I'm so, so, so glad to know I'll be out of here. The money side, expecially with Xmas is worrying but as long as my daughter has a few gifts then I'm OK, as far as the OH - well it's just presents that we don't need so we wont buy for each other. Believe me - I'm well used to scrimping - it was the same in the US so no different here.

I accepted this job 3 months after we returned from the US, initially I temped i.e NHS/Legal Secretary. I never really wanted this job to start with but we needed the money. We'd sold everything off in the US and basically had nothing so I felt that I couldnt refuse the job (even if it was a measly salary)

It's just a Receptionist position

I left school at 16 and had worked as a Legal Secretary/Barristers Clerk up until the time I left the UK in 2004.

I've never claimed unemployment/job seekers before. Having been back in the UK now for only 17 months I wouldnt have enough NHS contributions to claim contributory job seekers (at least I don't think so). I'm hoping I'll get something - every little bit is going to count now. (I also hope that just because my US husband has his US pension that's not going to be more of a hindrance now - if you see what I mean).

I do have a job interview tomorrow afternoon though. It's for a legal firm who deal with criminal law. Pro rata it pays £18,000. The job itself will be for 29 hours so, working on my calculations I should be bringing home roughly £240 a week. (Hope I've got that right)!! (I worked out the £18000 on a 35 hour week).
Old Nov 29th 2011, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I believe Lara is back in the UK. She used to post on here regularly when she was in the process of moving back. I believe she is in England (not sure what part).
We're in Wales - Carmarthenshire - wish I hadn't come to this county though

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 1st 2011 at 8:44 am. Reason: fixing quote
Old Nov 29th 2011, 11:42 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

All the very best to you Lara, I sooooooo know how it feels to be in a job that is just awful and to be honest I feel like the office junior here and despite my boss saying it wouldn't happen, well it did.

Anyway my last day is on Friday and I am soooo happy about that!!

Dunroving posted a great calculator either on here or the chit chat thread a few weeks back, it really is spot on for working out pay.

Good luck to you in your job seeking, it can be a right pain I know, but it is just a numbers game, the more jobs you apply for, the more chance you have of getting one and hopefully this will be the right one this time.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 11:58 am
Just Joined

imisshome2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lara,

I was recently made redundant and hadn't been working long enough to acquire enough paid contributions for my pension, which means, no pension to take with me. I do have some savings, but they won't last long once I start spending on rent. I have a daughter who would help me, but she has two young children and only a small house, I'm sure all will be well things have a habit of working themselves out.

Regards,
Rosanna.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 12:48 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody just posted this cost of living (and other stuff) calculator on the Aussie forum, you just put in your countries of choice to compare.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living..._countries.jsp
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:06 pm
Home Sweet Home

Everything is on track so far for my move, leave work this Friday (YAY!! ), spend next week packing up my stuff, cleaning my flat and then onto my sisters for a few days with family. Will send the boxes down to Surrey at cheap rates with a road haulier (one of our carriers at work ), they will store for a few days then send down for me after December 12th, that is when I move into my flat.

One week setting myself up including sending for my stuff from Australia then I start work on December 19th.

My first days training will be in Wallington, Surrey and bizarrely somebody on this forum has applied for a job at the development, yes the very same one I am going to for training!!!

I have booked into the guest suite for the first night just in case my bed doesn't turn up and that is all the furniture I will have..........yes one bed.......... talk about minimalist living.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Everything is on track so far for my move, leave work this Friday (YAY!! ), spend next week packing up my stuff, cleaning my flat and then onto my sisters for a few days with family. Will send the boxes down to Surrey at cheap rates with a road haulier (one of our carriers at work ), they will store for a few days then send down for me after December 12th, that is when I move into my flat.

One week setting myself up including sending for my stuff from Australia then I start work on December 19th.

My first days training will be in Wallington, Surrey and bizarrely somebody on this forum has applied for a job at the development, yes the very same one I am going to for training!!!

I have booked into the guest suite for the first night just in case my bed doesn't turn up and that is all the furniture I will have..........yes one bed.......... talk about minimalist living.
Sounds good. Its actually happening!
Cheers
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

So could you end up working with another BEer? That would be pretty funny.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Beedubya....Things are looking up for you. I hope you enjoy your new job. Its going to be a busy time for you. But lots of fun.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Well it wasn't me

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 1st 2011 at 8:44 am. Reason: fixing quote
Old Nov 29th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

All the very best to you Lara, I sooooooo know how it feels to be in a job that is just awful and to be honest I feel like the office junior here and despite my boss saying it wouldn't happen, well it did.

Anyway my last day is on Friday and I am soooo happy about that!!

Dunroving posted a great calculator either on here or the chit chat thread a few weeks back, it really is spot on for working out pay.

Good luck to you in your job seeking, it can be a right pain I know, but it is just a numbers game, the more jobs you apply for, the more chance you have of getting one and hopefully this will be the right one this time.
I'm excited for you too...Can't wait to hear about your new situation :-)
Old Nov 29th 2011, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Plymouth, Plymouth, Plymouth!

Looks like a bleak outlook there

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15950687
Old Nov 29th 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123

Well it wasn't me
Now that would have been soooo funny. You both need to meet up?!!

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 1st 2011 at 8:45 am. Reason: fixing quote
Old Nov 30th 2011, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lara45
The thing is I'm so, so, so glad to know I'll be out of here. The money side, expecially with Xmas is worrying but as long as my daughter has a few gifts then I'm OK, as far as the OH - well it's just presents that we don't need so we wont buy for each other. Believe me - I'm well used to scrimping - it was the same in the US so no different here.

I accepted this job 3 months after we returned from the US, initially I temped i.e NHS/Legal Secretary. I never really wanted this job to start with but we needed the money. We'd sold everything off in the US and basically had nothing so I felt that I couldnt refuse the job (even if it was a measly salary)

It's just a Receptionist position

I left school at 16 and had worked as a Legal Secretary/Barristers Clerk up until the time I left the UK in 2004.

I've never claimed unemployment/job seekers before. Having been back in the UK now for only 17 months I wouldnt have enough NHS contributions to claim contributory job seekers (at least I don't think so). I'm hoping I'll get something - every little bit is going to count now. (I also hope that just because my US husband has his US pension that's not going to be more of a hindrance now - if you see what I mean).

I do have a job interview tomorrow afternoon though. It's for a legal firm who deal with criminal law. Pro rata it pays £18,000. The job itself will be for 29 hours so, working on my calculations I should be bringing home roughly £240 a week. (Hope I've got that right)!! (I worked out the £18000 on a 35 hour week).
Thanks for explaining Lara, I hope this pans out for you, it sounds pretty decent, less hours for more pay... fingers crossed.

I dont know all the ins and outs but I think people that have just landed are getting Job seekers allowance, so maybe you can too if this job falls through.

Good Luck with the job...
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
Plymouth, Plymouth, Plymouth!

Looks like a bleak outlook there

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15950687
Nearly as bad as the rest of the country!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.