Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Nov 3rd 2011, 1:24 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Have I missed something, or have we not heard from TrottyTrue since her operation?

Tina
I hope she's OK. Where are you Trotty??

Congrats on the interviews Bee.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 5:20 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Just checking New Malden. It is upscale because of being next to Kingston on Thames.

It looks like a nice place if you have big bucks.

Rents are about £1400 a month for something decent. (I know you don't have to worry about that). To buy a place would be £600,000. Just sayin.

I hope you are in a good part of Malden.

So when is your interview?

Cheers
Oh yes I am going up in the world lol!!

Next Thursday 10th November, now I just have to figure out how to get there!!

I will take Wed, Thurs, Fri off work as I am due a break anyway, might stay with my niece in London, don't know yet...........

Off to check out train fares...........gulp............
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 7:24 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the good vibes guys and gals.

I wonder if Trotty is without power as they have had that snowstorm just lately, fingers crossed that's the reason she hasn't been online.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
WOW aries, thats fantastic that you have got your one way ticket and your leaving November 9th, WOW after 40 years in Oz, well when I left America after 36 years there and at 65 years old to come home I thought that was a big deal, and it was, but you beat me, aries I wish you a comfortable flight home, and when you get here I hope everything for you will go as smooth as it went for me, dont worry about a thing, it all comes together, and you quickly get into the way of life here,
And the main thing is that you do have some family to come back to, and your Brother will help you find a flat,
OMG how exciting for you, just a few days away, WOW, I cant help saying WOW ----- cause it is a big WOW, you are brave to take this great big leap,
We all are actually,
Take care,
Rodney.
Longer Rodney, I first came to Oz in 1960, so it is 51 years. Not sure about returning at this time of the year, but I wasn't looking forward to another hot summer in Adelaide. This time next week I will be home.

Thank you to everyone who has wished me well.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya

I will take Wed, Thurs, Fri off work as I am due a break anyway, might stay with my niece in London, don't know yet...........

Good luck on the interviews Bee!
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
I finally have my one-way ticket to Heathrow, and leave on Wednesday 9th November from Adelaide with Singapore Airlines.

SQ 278 from Adelaide, then SQ 322 from Singapore later in the day.

I'm having problems using an iPad (it keeps telling me I'm not connected to the Internet), and with little credit and gb available, I've not been able to read the forums. I will be glad when I've resettled and can buy a new iMac.

Wish me luck, at the ge of 73 it is a big move by myself.

However, my brother and his wife will meet me at Heathrow, and also help me to find a flat. I shall be spending Christmas with my sister near Lincoln, and if I'm able, my friend living near Heidelberg in Germany would like me to visit for the New Year. If I do I hope there is snow, I haven't seen any for about 40 years.
Wow, way to go, Aries!!!!

I hope that you really enjoy being 'home' - it is a great place to be!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Well folks after MANY job applications for House Manager jobs I FINALLY have an interview next Thursday for 2 jobs at 2 Peverel developments, about a 10 minute walk from each other according to Google.

The jobs are in New Malden, Surrey, I have no idea of what it's like down there but I will soon find out.

Fingers crossed for me everybody I think I may have gypsy blood.
for you! Lovely area too!
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Curleytops have fun on your first Christmas over here for 45 years, my first Christmas in 36 years was last Christmas, cant believe Ive already been home in this glorious land for almost a year now
Rodney.
It's a year ago today that I went back to Canada after my 4-week recce over here. Hubby & I were just talking this morning about how gutted we felt when we said goodbye at the airport that morning, telling ourselves the separation was going to be as short and temporary as possible. It's hard to believe I've been back here for good for most of the time that's passed since then and we've been married for nearly half of this past year!
I think you're coming up to your one year anniversary this month if I'm not mistaken Rodney.
I think there are quite a few of us getting excited about the thought of spending our first Christmas at home in the UK in so long, I'm thinking it might be fun for all of us "first timers" to have our photos taken in front of our trees on Christmas Day & we could start a thread on the Rovers Return forum & post them all. Anyone else interested?
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

£23.50 each way! Manchester to Euston

Fasten your seat belt because it only takes 2 hours and 8 minutes.

Cheers
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 12:20 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by curleytops
It's a year ago today that I went back to Canada after my 4-week recce over here. Hubby & I were just talking this morning about how gutted we felt when we said goodbye at the airport that morning, telling ourselves the separation was going to be as short and temporary as possible. It's hard to believe I've been back here for good for most of the time that's passed since then and we've been married for nearly half of this past year!
I think you're coming up to your one year anniversary this month if I'm not mistaken Rodney.
I think there are quite a few of us getting excited about the thought of spending our first Christmas at home in the UK in so long, I'm thinking it might be fun for all of us "first timers" to have our photos taken in front of our trees on Christmas Day & we could start a thread on the Rovers Return forum & post them all. Anyone else interested?
I think that's a fab idea, but will have to improvise with the Christmas tree.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

On BE look for a forum called My Trip to London because I found it interesting.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 6:46 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

We're in the process of getting quotes for the work that needs doing before we put the house up for sale. It's just bits and bobs mainly, but we just had the window cleaner round. $325 to clean inside and out My in-laws get their windows cleaned for £5.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I must really be staying because today I bought a car! And, much to my amazement did OK for insurance as well - might be something to do with the fact that both DH and I have UK licences. Only got the intro 40% discount but better than nothing and we got roadside assist along with it. Fingers crossed it keeps on going huh!
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I really can't wait to be able to go to a Nov 5th bonfire again. I can taste the treacle toffee now!! (now you can see why I have problems with my teeth. LOL)
I have some in my pantry right now, and boy its tastes good, In laws brought it at my request when they came the other week, thats what I miss, the little things.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
We're in the process of getting quotes for the work that needs doing before we put the house up for sale. It's just bits and bobs mainly, but we just had the window cleaner round. $325 to clean inside and out My in-laws get their windows cleaned for £5.
Just another example of the great big American rip off's, they wouldn't charge that much over here to clean all the windows at buckingham palace Lol, what do you own a freaking mansion?
My Mum has had all her Windows cleaned by the same two fellows for the past 20 odd years and they only charge £5 per month cash, there always there once a month,

Last edited by jasper123; Nov 3rd 2011 at 10:58 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.