Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello CarolPat - I am an 81 year English Gentleman, through and through, and a Midlander. I have always greeted people, by hugging them, and have mostly kissed the ladies too (some only on the cheek, but some on the lips) And I talk to total strangers everywhere we go. I find it strange that from the various suggestions on here, I am alone in this. How odd. I always thought we all did. Don
No matter where I've lived, that has always been outside my comfort zone. I hate the hug and kiss thing, unless you are my Mum, child, husband. We are affectionate within the family, but thats it.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
No matter where I've lived, that has always been outside my comfort zone. I hate the hug and kiss thing, unless you are my Mum, child, husband. We are affectionate within the family, but thats it.
Me too.

At one time we use to think of transmitting germs but that seems to be a thing of the past. People these days think nothing of drinking out of the same cup
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I'm so sorry to hear this. It's always hard to have change forced on us - but then sometimes it turns out to have been a good thing. I hope that's what happens here.

Have you definitely decided to retire or might you look for another job?
Hi, this is J.J's OH, John, I thought it is about time I got my own member account here, and I am lurking here more nowadays than is June.

The redundancy brings me to face what so many have faced, early retirement because at 62 year old chances of further employment in my field are slim, although I am quite open to changing to some more casual labour.

I have done the numbers and it appears we can support ourselves with savings and benefits - but we never done it before so I am apprehensive.

It is the feeling of arriving too early on the scrap heap that will be my challenge to overcome, yet I look forward to more free time and less stress and frustration caused through work. I accept it is time to slow down and relax, but nor am I ready to do nothing but read the paper and watch tv.

In the past I have done volunteer work and I may head that way again, just a case of finding new interests and occupations when work was the major part of my existence.

It's early days yet, I need to let the emotions pass.

John
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Hi, this is J.J's OH, John, I thought it is about time I got my own member account here, and I am lurking here more nowadays than is June.

The redundancy brings me to face what so many have faced, early retirement because at 62 year old chances of further employment in my field are slim, although I am quite open to changing to some more casual labour.

I have done the numbers and it appears we can support ourselves with savings and benefits - but we never done it before so I am apprehensive.

It is the feeling of arriving too early on the scrap heap that will be my challenge to overcome, yet I look forward to more free time and less stress and frustration caused through work. I accept it is time to slow down and relax, but nor am I ready to do nothing but read the paper and watch tv.

In the past I have done volunteer work and I may head that way again, just a case of finding new interests and occupations when work was the major part of my existence.

John
Sorry to read of you being laid off. Think of it as your circumstances are better than others.
You have mentioned ideas you have of doing something less stressful and I think that is a good idea.
There are probably opportunities to do part-time work.
In an ideal world you would be picked up to teach engineering.
Personally I like being retired and free.

Cheers
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:37 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Oh I agree Pauline, I only hug family or really, really close friends. I would feel REALLY uncomfortable hugging strangers.

Of course any of my BE friends are not strangers in any way.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
J.J...... I am really sorry to hear your news. Lets hope you find something soon. But at least you are home. Do you have those re-training scheme's in your area. When my OH was laid off a few years ago he applied for over 400 jobs before he was hired. It took almost a year and it was a very difficult time for us. By the end of the year frustration had set in. He would apply for jobs and either be to experienced or not have enough experiance.
Hi Trotty, John here, emerging as J.J's OH.
Yes, I think I am fortunate that we got the move done before this redundancy occurred.
I had thought that things had got onto an even keel and then this rocks the boat somewhat, rather as a self worth issue then any other.

BUT... as Sally says this may be a blessing in disguise.
While working from home has had scheduling benefits, being without support and colleagues (and my only colleagues being German) has been frustrating and stressful - and I realise I am ready to call a halt to this particular job and field of expertise.
I enjoy training others, although not qualified in the field maybe I can find some outlet for the ability.

I found the government website http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...rJob/index.htm is a good start to learning my rights in this unfamiliar UK environment.
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

J.J'sOH.....Nice to meet you. I think retirement is fine for some who can afford to swan off to distances places and enjoy themselves but for most of us thats not the case. I have two brothers who retired early one kept busy with his garden and his hobby with cars and helping others, but the other one had a difficult time. He never found a hobby and sat home doing nothing. I think after you have had a little rest and restored your MOJO you could do some research on what you want to be when you grow up My OH was laid off when he was 60 and like I said it took him a year to find another job.
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

John
Hi John,

I know it is early days for you and your enforced early retirement has been thrust upon you (sorry to hear that ), but if you can afford to live on your pension and savings then the world is your oyster for finding work that doesn't pay too well but keeps you occupied, maybe just work 2-3 days a week in a garden centre or a supermarket or B & Q or a shop........look on this as an amazing opportunity of having the best of both worlds!!
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cheers
Sorry to read of you being laid off. Think of it as your circumstances are better than others.
You have mentioned ideas you have of doing something less stressful and I think that is a good idea.
There are probably opportunities to do part-time work.
In an ideal world you would be picked up to teach engineering.
Personally I like being retired and free.

Cheers
Cheers, cheers,
I feel I have not been free since I first started school, I have a lot of conditioning to reverse - but along your same sentiment, most every retired person I speak to enjoys the freedom. I hope I can learn.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cheers, cheers,
I feel I have not been free since I first started school, I have a lot of conditioning to reverse - but along your same sentiment, most every retired person I speak to enjoys the freedom. I hope I can learn.
I just drove down to the store for some bread and I got a new thought! Is it possible for you to start up a small businees without risking your capital (savings)
Old Oct 4th 2011, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Another testimonial I copied from UK Yankees web.

I divorced two years ago (after 8 years of living in the UK married to a british man) and have no intention of ever leaving here. My career's great, I have a fantastic new partner, we live in a lovely little market town and I have wonderful friends who have become my 'UK family'. My life is far better here than it could ever have been if I'd returned to the US after my divorce!

There.

Cheers
Old Oct 4th 2011, 8:08 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, cheers,
My mum retired quite a few years ago and she seems to be busier than ever. She lives in the Lake District and loves hiking, so she does that several times a week. She's researching her family history and that takes her off all over the country. She does some volunteer work. She has a group of ladies she goes out to lunch with once a week. She takes classes. She reads.

I know some people here complain about their kids not getting in touch often enough but in my case it's my mum who's bad at calling and writing She always says 'I don't know where the week went!'

I know it will just take some time, but I do hope you are able to luxuriate in the freedom to pursue what you want for a change. You have worked long enough and now it's your time! I think volunteer work is an excellent idea - so many organizations need help these days and your skills and knowledge would be invaluable.

Good luck!
Old Oct 4th 2011, 10:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

John
62 does seem way too young to be "on the scrapheap" doesn't it. So sorry about the job, you never know, something may just pop up that is perfect for you and you won't need to retire early. It's hard to see the positive when you feel so emotional about it all and it's so fresh, maybe when things calm down a bit you'll see things in a better light.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Don my guess is that in some locations people are protective and therefore don't converse.

Sally a few of your last few posts put into words for me what I was thinking. Thank you.

I join in with what others have said about DDL and that I enjoyed her posts but she did have that trait of control. Regretfully for her, we Limies wouldn't tow the (her) line.

I have thought a lot about the statement I wrote yesterday about Americans being disingenuous and I wish I had never said or posted it on here. I should have said some are. I was prompted to say such I think because of something I had seen on TV were someone was complimenting someone and it was so phony. Again Sally mentioned in her post along those lines. Some times Americans say things also with tongue in cheek, like, if you believe that I've got ocean front property I can sell you in Wyoming.

I get along with Americans and enjoy them but if you realize I've been here in America for 56 years (so I is one) what else can I say?

Cheers
Cheers like Sally said in her New York accent ---- dont worry about it, lots of us on here know you, and your a good chap we know that, I also said a few things yesterday that I wish now I had not said, ----- too late to go back and edit it now
On the hugging and friendly thing, I come from a family that never showed there affections, never a I love you, once in a blue moon a kiss on the cheek from my Mum, as a child watching my whole family I never saw any affection given to anyone, not physically I mean, but I was looked after, growing up in the 40,s and 50,s as you know money was very scarce, people were very very poor, and later on in life I found out why many times my Mum would not be sitting at the table at dinner time, it was that there was only enough food to go around for three people, if she divided it in to four then her kids and my Dad would get a small helping of food each, so she sat in the kitchen all on her own on many a night hungry
When I came to America I quickly got into the U.S. way of life, I was young, quite ambitious, and loving my new life, and I noticed that Americans even in the west were much more relaxed and laid back, I loved there attitude, so I over time grew into one of the same, I became more open with my laughter and I would smile more, but it was not natural for me so I did find it hard, but in time I actually grew a sense of humor,
My 36 years in America was good for me, I would not have missed it for the world, ----- and so here I am now back home as we call it, people have changed, you dont notice women chatting for hours outside in there back gardens to there neighbours after they have put there washing on the line, gone are the days when you would see a man walking down the road with a swagger and whistling a tune,
These days I witness that people are much more serious about everything in the U.K ---- just like the old cockney song ---- things aint what they used to be
But it aint as bad as it could be either, Im retired, Im happy, Im slowly blending in, not there yet, thought I was a little while back, but Im not yet,
But I (AM) very happy to be home with my Mum, shes quite a lady, 92 still driving her car, but I watch her get so tired so quickly, she cant keep awake in evening watching the TV bless her heart, anyway Im home to look after her now, and to love her and try and make up for all those decades away,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

John
Hello again John,
I must also add my sadness that you were laid off, I know how it feels like to be laid off at 62, that was my age when I was laid off in Las vegas from a really good company that I had been with for quite some time and the money was good too, I received unemployment benefits while I was looking for another Job and eventually after about 200 applications and 7 months later I found another Job, but it only paid about one quarter of what I used to make, was not enough to live on so I was forced to claim early social security at almost 63, well Im 66 now, OMG just thought thats a real unlucky number aint it, Hmmmm I will have to hurry up and become 67 then Ill be OK
Hang in there, your be OK my friend, as you say you can get by without working, and as Cheers said that he enjoys being retired and the freedom it brings, so do I and lots of us on here are retired and we stay active and have fun too, look at Don hes 81 and Im sure loves retired life, look at my Mum 92 and she keeps herself busy, always out with her friends, thats probably why she gets so tired

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.