British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/over-50s-moving-back-uk-part-ii-699504/)

Fish n Chips 56 Jan 9th 2011 8:23 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9089204)
When the subject turns to US vs UK healthcare experience tells us that the discussion usually turns into a long and often heated debate...which may have taken over this thread. There is already over 100 posts in the other thread...not counting the ones made today in this thread...therefore I feel it does warrant a separate thread.

That was the reason for splitting the thread...and not because one person suggested it.

Thanks for the explaination Jerseygirl, its appreciated, maybe youve done the right thing under the circumstances, this way people who dont want to discuss that issue dont have to read it, Thanks again.

dunroving Jan 9th 2011 8:25 pm

As the person who first suggested to Trotty that she start this thread, I am amazed at how it has "become a monster", so to speak (over half a million views since it was started just 4 months ago!)

I never would have guessed that it would become so popular - but just lately, I find it almost impossible to keep up. It has, as someone else pointed out, become more of a chatroom and the "useful information" parts are 10 pages back before you know it, and hard to find even when you know what you are looking for.

Because it is, by its title, not on a specific topic, it's understandable that people will post on whatever is relevant to them - when you think of it, the thread title is the same as the title of the whole forum, just for over 50's (though we do let the younger members participate ;)). So it shouldn't be surprising that the topics range across anything and everything.

I've seen people get ticked off on other parts of the site when the mods move their thread, delete material, whatever, but at least you can say that is their job, to moderate the site. I think some folks have their noses put out of joint when they are told their posts don't belong, by other members. Blimey, if I had a dollar for every thread I've read that went off-topic, I could retire. :rofl: That's just part of all online forums.

To be honest, I think if you are "of the older persuasion", your opinion belongs here, period (full stop). Maybe we should just leave it to the mods to decide if a post is inappropriate or needs its own thread, or let the individual decide whether their question or topic should be in a separate thread. I know I wouldn't post a question on here asking for advice or information - because I would never be able to find the answers! If I was over 50 and was interested to know about pensions, for example, I'd create a separate thread rather than bury it in 100's of pages of friendly chit-chat - which is why I did exactly that: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696551

So as the Yanks would say, "Don't get your panties in a bunch", or "Can't we all just get along?"

windsong Jan 9th 2011 8:39 pm

Here's another topic for you all :rofl:

When we lived in Britain, my mothers and aunts at the time used to make rice pudding and also macaroni pudding - which was just like rice pudding but a different pasta.

Here in the U.S. I do make rice pudding. I also tried macaroni pudding - but it tastes NOTHING like what it did int he UK - different pasta perhaps. What pasta should I be using to make macaroni pudding? I think I used elbow pasta.

dunroving Jan 9th 2011 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9089286)

When we lived in Britain, my mothers and aunts at the time used to make rice pudding and also macaroni pudding - which was just like rice pudding but a different pasta.

Here in the U.S. I do make rice pudding. I also tried macaroni pudding - but it tastes NOTHING like what it did int he UK - different pasta perhaps. What pasta should I be using to make macaroni pudding? I think I used elbow pasta.

Ahem, excuse me, but would the moderators please move this to the "Tapioca, semolina and assorted desserts for over 50's & 60's" thread?

Thank you.

OK, OK, I'll let it go now, it's time for my cocoa.

windsong Jan 9th 2011 8:43 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9056159)
No private messages today, I gave Rosie my gmail address when we were talking about Frome so that is how she contacted me and I have passed on the 2 messages......hope she is not snowed in!!

Barb, are you moving to Frome, too?

windsong Jan 9th 2011 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9089289)
Ahem, excuse me, but would the moderators please move this to the "Tapioca, semolina and assorted desserts for over 50's & 60's" thread?

Thank you.

Ha ha ha!!! :rofl::rofl:

Derrygal Jan 9th 2011 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9089286)

I think this belongs in the "recipe thread"!!!!!!!!!:)

ldyinlv Jan 9th 2011 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9089289)

Thank you.

LOL...shhhh your gonna get in trouble

aviva Jan 9th 2011 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9089254)
As the person who first suggested to Trotty that she start this thread, I am amazed at how it has "become a monster", so to speak (over half a million views since it was started just 4 months ago!)

I never would have guessed that it would become so popular - but just lately, I find it almost impossible to keep up. It has, as someone else pointed out, become more of a chatroom and the "useful information" parts are 10 pages back before you know it, and hard to find even when you know what you are looking for.

Because it is, by its title, not on a specific topic, it's understandable that people will post on whatever is relevant to them - when you think of it, the thread title is the same as the title of the whole forum, just for over 50's (though we do let the younger members participate ;)). So it shouldn't be surprising that the topics range across anything and everything.

I've seen people get ticked off on other parts of the site when the mods move their thread, delete material, whatever, but at least you can say that is their job, to moderate the site. I think some folks have their noses put out of joint when they are told their posts don't belong, by other members. Blimey, if I had a dollar for every thread I've read that went off-topic, I could retire. :rofl: That's just part of all online forums.

To be honest, I think if you are "of the older persuasion", your opinion belongs here, period (full stop). Maybe we should just leave it to the mods to decide if a post is inappropriate or needs its own thread, or let the individual decide whether their question or topic should be in a separate thread. I know I wouldn't post a question on here asking for advice or information - because I would never be able to find the answers! If I was over 50 and was interested to know about pensions, for example, I'd create a separate thread rather than bury it in 100's of pages of friendly chit-chat - which is why I did exactly that: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696551

So as the Yanks would say, "Don't get your panties in a bunch", or "Can't we all just get along?"

What you're saying then is that ultimately you're responsible for this fiasco?

Sue Jan 9th 2011 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9089160)
Actually Jersey Girl a few of us are irritated, just because one person seems to say what can and cannot be discussed here, we can talk about any other subject just not that one.

Health care is the main reason for me leaving this country, I think its a major issue but it upsets someone politically.

Just saying my piece.

No it was more so that the topic could have it own thread and not get lost amongst the other conversations. :)

Happy Sunday

Derrygal Jan 9th 2011 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by PAT M (Post 9084182)
Thank you, have enjoyed reading all the updates, hope Rodney and CelticSpirit are OK. Good luck Trotty with the viewing on Sunday. A family returned for a second viewing of our house and the agent told us that they like it very much but the mother of the family is "sceptical" whatever that means. The contract with the agency ends in a few weeks and we shall market it ourselves. I loved the poem Jackie about England. We are staying with our son in Umbria, the other day we were on our way to Assisi and passed Assisi War Cemetary where 900 allied service people are buried, it was very moving seeing their young ages - 18 to early 30's. We signed the visitor's book and honoured their sacrifice, that poem would have been very appropriate.

We celebrate our Ruby wedding in May and would like to visit Ireland, we have never been there and would love to see Dublin and Eire. Derrygal and all, I would really appreciate any comments/advice on where to stay, perhaps an old castle something like that.Not long now Don and Beedubya and Jackie, good luck all and best wishes DDL on the job prospects. :)

Sorry - I completely missed this post - I hope you don't think I was rude!! Whenever I go back to Ireland I stay with family, so I honestly wouldn't be able to give you any advice on accommodation. You might want to check out the Irish Tourist Board website or Northern Ireland Tourist Board website. Also, I believe Expedia is quite good when it comes to booking accommodation and flights together. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. May is a nice month of the year - don't forget your umbrella and raincoats. It rains a lot (more than England). That's why it's called the Emerald Isle!!

dunroving Jan 9th 2011 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 9089310)
No it was more so that the topic could have it own thread and not get lost amongst the other conversations. :)

Happy Sunday

And as Jerseygirl pointed out, the separate thread now has over 130 posts, so it was probably a wise move.

Mind you, I think half of the posts are mine, so maybe it wasn't such a clever idea.

OK, I'll get me cocoa and shut up now.

Sue Jan 9th 2011 9:00 pm

Just to add, sometimes I feel like we are damned if we do, and damned if we don't. Contrary to popular belief myself and the mods don't make these decisions to try piss people off, instead we try to help facilitate conversations between you all, and create a welcoming environment. So please give us a break and remember we can't please all of the people all of the time ... but we do try our very best.

Thanks

(Sue gets off her soap box and goes to get a cup of tea ...... as you were)

ldyinlv Jan 9th 2011 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 9089343)
Just to add, sometimes I feel like we are damned if we do, and damned if we don't. Contrary to popular belief myself and the mods don't make these decisions to try piss people off, instead we try to help facilitate conversations between you all, and create a welcoming environment. So please give us a break and remember we can't please all of the people all of the time ... but we do try our very best.

Thanks

We do appreciate all that you do Sue, really we do..:)

dunroving Jan 9th 2011 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 9089343)

Thanks

You guys do a great job and I know I've appreciated you all ("y'all") over the years. :thumbup:

It's easy for people to complain when they don't have to do the job.