Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 5th 2011, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Hi Rod, I may not post often but I read and enjoy all of your posts, at times you've been the only one to keep this thread going...

We all know and like your sincere posts... You really don't have to explain yourself to us pal, not for a minute, or to people that just have an attitude problem and visit to stir it up...

Some people just get out of bed on the wrong side everyday...

Good Luck with the Operation... Fish
Old Jul 5th 2011, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jasper123
I like Tea,
- because its all way too complicated, and way too personal.
Rodney.
Rodney - You really don't need to elaborate - we have all done things we are not proud of - You're back with Mother, and there's friends here waiting to greet you soon... Take Care M8
Old Jul 5th 2011, 6:16 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Fumming.......well almost.

Rodney, you probably are aware of the US federal debt right? So I just got the mail! I got the statement from medicare and I thought I got a double billing, one for an office visit, $133 and a second one for $136 for an office visit on the same day. So I just called the doctors office and they tell me the first charge was for the doctor services and the other is for the facility use???
In other words $269 for an office visit. 30" max.
No wonder the government is broke!
You see the UK needs to become more like the US. (sarcasm intended)
That was a regular doctor visit, not a new patient or anything? It's getting way out of hand isn't it.
Dh has decided he'd rather just go untreated and die than put the family into bankruptcy for treatment, so far we have kept up fine as the insurance is picking up so much of the bills, he is now 100% covered for the rest of the year, so he better take the treatment and doctor visits
Old Jul 5th 2011, 6:52 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Well, the more my time comes to leave here, the more anxious I am becoming.

Tomorrow someone will be measuring the house to prepare a plan, and next week a skip will be in the drive to remove all the outside rubbish. On another day a photographer will take some professional pics. I thought mine were good enough! Thus very soon the house will be advertised for sale.

I still have no idea where I shall settle again in England except that it will be in the south, so I can easily imagine myself at the age of 73 (after 51 years in Australia), arriving at Heathrow with a wheelie case and cabin bag, and wondering where to turn. Such a big move by myself is daunting to say the least.

So why am I doing it? I will answer with another question . . . why does anyone do it? Most people think I must be crazy to go through all of this, and very few say I should do what makes me happy. The truth be told, I am not happy here, but I am not happy moving away to have the problems of re-establishing my life in a colder and wetter climate.

I can give myself many good reasons for staying in Australia, and lesser good reasons for leaving, and as things stand, I feel as if I'm throwing myself onto a speeding roundabout and not knowing where I will be flung off, nor what damage will be caused.

Everyone on this forum provides informative and interesting comments, and although Pete is criticised for his seriousness and detailed information, he is an integral and valuable part of our BE community.
aries, I think your post got a bit lost in all the upset but I just wanted to say that I feel for you and I hope it all works out.

You do sound as though you have a lot of doubts beyond the usual 'last minute panic' type feelings. Don't forget, it's never too late to change your mind if you decide this move just isn't for you.

Or maybe I'm reading it wrong, in which case please don't take offense as none is intended. I just feel bad reading how worried you are.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 6:52 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Dh has decided he'd rather just go untreated and die than put the family into bankruptcy for treatment
Whoa!

Does he have any idea as to what the problem is yet?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
If you are reffering to me in the above statement in regard to "freeloading of of aged parents" the fact is I havent been freeloading, as I have been working for most of the time here, also, my "aged parents" have been overjoyed to have me, after a major surgery I had last year they wanted to spend time with me. I think before you make sweeping arrogant and uninformed remarks, you should stop and realize that prehaps judging other people is really not your job!!
Jackie
Well said!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Mummy about hubby, you are kidding right, did he get a diagnosis?
SG, wow thats wonderful about the house, not long now.......2 weeks
Aries, kind thoughts coming your way!

Rod! You're the best.

53 days for me, and oh so so much to do.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:10 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
aries, I think your post got a bit lost in all the upset but I just wanted to say that I feel for you and I hope it all works out.

You do sound as though you have a lot of doubts beyond the usual 'last minute panic' type feelings. Don't forget, it's never too late to change your mind if you decide this move just isn't for you.

Or maybe I'm reading it wrong, in which case please don't take offense as none is intended. I just feel bad reading how worried you are.
Yes sorry Aries, as Sally so rightly says your post did get lost in the kerfuffle.

Just wondering what your grand "plan" is, you are selling your house, getting a plane from Adelaide to Heathrow, and then what??

Do you have family or friends to stay with in the interim and if I may ask what made you decide after 51 years in Australia you had had enough? Was there a defining moment or has it slowly chipped away at you?

I'm not sure if I would ever have been brave enough to come back here with no family or friends........I do have overwhelming admiration for those of you who do...........
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:13 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl

Rod! You're the best.

53 days Charleygirl? The big countdown has begun..........be prepared for the emotional roller coaster you have now taken a ride on, some days up, up there filled with joy and glee at coming home , others filled with doubt, what the hell am I doing at my age? And others where you sink down into the depths and think you might just be a little bit mad LOL!!

Even when you get here it will not be an easy ride as you are leaving your children behind, but sometimes we just gotta do what we gotta do......
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:41 pm
Home Sweet Home

Some pics I took this last weekend at Dunham Massey, Cheshire:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbwin...7627108113304/
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:39 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Whoa!

Does he have any idea as to what the problem is yet?
Turns out its a bad case of Valley Fever (thats the common name anyway) it's a cluster of cases that have popped up the CDC is tracking everyone now, so we got a call from the local health department asking him all kinds of questions.
Originally Posted by charleygirl

Rod! You're the best.

No he was dead serious, at the time the doctors thought he had either lung cancer or leukemia. But those were ruled out so he's being treated and is much better, just have to get his one lung cleared up, but he's back to work.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Some pics I took this last weekend at Dunham Massey, Cheshire:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbwin...7627108113304/
What a lovely place to visit. the weather looked gorgeous.
Were those deer eating grass in the one picture?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
And here too, and Australia and well just about anywhere really, if you have a decent income you can afford stuff, if you don't you can't, not exactly rocket science.
I know it's not rocket science - I was responding to a quote from Cheers. There's no need to be snippy!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Barb and Rosie, Thank you for those pictures.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
It's not Sally - it's me, Rosie/Islandwoman - the one who lives in Frome, Somerset.
Sorry Rosie ---- just having a senior moment ---- I knew it was you just for some reason put Sallys name down

Last edited by jasper123; Jul 5th 2011 at 10:05 pm. Reason: add letter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.