Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Rodney, PLEASE do not let one person on an Internet forum have a bad affect on you or upset you (easier said than done).

NOBODY knows what each and any of us are going through, sure we come on here and tell stuff about our lives but NOBODY knows the whole story............

We have all of us made mistakes especially when we were younger, and none of us has to justify or explain anything to anybody on a bloody public forum for God's sake.

Take care, you are a good man......
Thanks Barb,
this is all true what you say, I really appreciate your honesty and sincerity,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Changing the subject: here are some photos I took recently on a walk around Frome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7627122145144/
Wow Sally you really are into flowers & Plants arent you, truly beautiful pics thanks for sharing,
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
No cut and pastes allowed as per Sue the owner remember??
Barb,

Why don't you delete your post like I did and get rid of the evidence?

I thought she was saying don't C&P from another forum and this wasn't from another forum.

Cheers,

Hope you are feeling much better.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Barb,

Why don't you delete your post like I did and get rid of the evidence?

I thought she was saying don't C&P from another forum and this wasn't from another forum.

Cheers,

Hope you are feeling much better.
If you cut n paste from another website, a book, a newspaper or whatever you should still acknowledge the source - copyright laws and all that

http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cut and paste.

Things that drove me completely insane on my most recent trip back to the UK:
Dog poop
Gum on pavement
Traffic, traffic and more traffic
The smell of pee when walking past bus shelters etc.
The rain (it rained for 12 days out of 14)
The miserable faces on the shop assistants
Crap hotel/pub food
Having to pay to park everywhere you go

I think that's about it...rant over
Well cheers only one on that list bugs me, Dog Poop well I have though got into the habit of looking down when I walk ----- trouble is mate I would rather be looking around at all the beauty and interesting things to see in England as I walk, ----- so whats the solution ----- dog poop on your shoes and not missing out on the visual splendor of everything around you, ----- or no dog poop on your shoes and the only benefit your little walk has given you is stretching the old legs a little,
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you cut n paste from another website, a book, a newspaper or whatever you should still acknowledge the source - copyright laws and all that

http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/
So am I good if the post comes from this forum?

The post and a few others that I was going to post were from "You know you are in Blighty when" or something like that.

Rodney I like reading peoples comments and I was going to post others that said they never saw poop all the time they were in England. They had other complimentary comments on Blighty too and I would have posted them but I got cut off so to speak.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:30 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

So am I good if the post comes from this forum?

The post and a few others that I was going to post were from "You know you are in Blighty when" or something like that.

Rodney I like reading peoples comments and I was going to post others that said they never saw poop all the time they were in England. They had other complimentary comments on Blighty too and I would have posted them but I got cut off so to speak.
What I do is copy and paste and also put the link to the actual page I cut it from, so anyone can go look for themselves. That way there are no questions
The Dog poop thing bugs the heck out of me too.
The rest of the list can apply to a big city anywhere and the food comment is just not true in my experience in UK.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:50 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

So am I good if the post comes from this forum?.
Yes as long as you "cite" who posted it.

To "quote" another member just click the Quote button and it will automatically cite the original post and author in your post
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:53 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Just reposting this as I posted it a few days ago and don't know if it got overlooked as no one responded.

Originally Posted by Sue
Just an FYI. I have created a new page in the wiki for you all to add useful links and info to.

I've also posted a link to the page at the top of the MBTTUK forum.

All you have to do to add new content is to click the "Edit". If you get stuck on anything please give me a shout and I'll be happy to help.

The page is here
So if you've got some useful info to share that you don't want to get lost in all the other posts please also consider adding it to the wiki page.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Just reposting this as I posted it a few days ago and don't know if it got overlooked as no one responded.

So if you've got some useful info to share that you don't want to get lost in all the other posts please also consider adding it to the wiki page.
Great idea, Sue--thanks!

Don't know why no-one responded earlier, as I think a place to consolidate information is something many have felt was lacking...though some of the newer info threads are of course very useful as well.

Tina
Old Jul 5th 2011, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

I don't know where to post things on the 50/60 threads these days

The best thing to happen recently, was DDL making a very helpful selection of threads that just pertain to one thing ...driving...utilities etc...

No emotions

I think if we don't like something IGNORE ...a bit like in R/L .

Thank you to all that made me feel welcome at the age of 39

I wasn't going to say anything...then I realized that wasn't really me!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Wow Sally you really are into flowers & Plants arent you, truly beautiful pics thanks for sharing,
It's not Sally - it's me, Rosie/Islandwoman - the one who lives in Frome, Somerset.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I like tea
Agree. There is only about 9 people who post on here now and anyone new doesn't stay long as they are soon attacked for their different views.

Pistolpete2
I have read some of your other posts on different threads and find them to be intellegent, thoughful and very informative. Obviously the people on this thread don't admire these qualities.

Jasper
I found your reply to Pistolpetes post very unkind and insulting. To attack him so personally was uncalled for. Everyone is supposed to be able to express their opinions on this site without being personally insulted. After all you have stated yourself that you only had one friend in the USA after living there most of your life. Plus you've admitted you were a deadbeat dad not having any part in the upbringing of your children. ( your comments not mine)Hardly things to brag about.

And another thing. To the people who after years of living abroad suddenly decide to uproot and free load off their aged parents. Have you thought how it might impact on their lives ? They might just find it very disruptive and inconvenient not to say emotionally draining to have their son/daughter suddenly descend on them and then whinge about aspects of their life in the UK. There is always two sides to every augument it's a pity people can only see their side.
If you are reffering to me in the above statement in regard to "freeloading of of aged parents" the fact is I havent been freeloading, as I have been working for most of the time here, also, my "aged parents" have been overjoyed to have me, after a major surgery I had last year they wanted to spend time with me. I think before you make sweeping arrogant and uninformed remarks, you should stop and realize that prehaps judging other people is really not your job!!
Jackie
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fumming.......well almost.

Rodney, you probably are aware of the US federal debt right? So I just got the mail! I got the statement from medicare and I thought I got a double billing, one for an office visit, $133 and a second one for $136 for an office visit on the same day. So I just called the doctors office and they tell me the first charge was for the doctor services and the other is for the facility use???
In other words $269 for an office visit. 30" max.
No wonder the government is broke!
You see the UK needs to become more like the US. (sarcasm intended)
Old Jul 5th 2011, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
If you are reffering to me in the above statement in regard to "freeloading of of aged parents" the fact is I havent been freeloading, as I have been working for most of the time here, also, my "aged parents" have been overjoyed to have me, after a major surgery I had last year they wanted to spend time with me. I think before you make sweeping arrogant and uninformed remarks, you should stop and realize that prehaps judging other people is really not your job!!
Jackie
Jackie, just ignore her! That remark from her was ignorant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.