Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
There is a smaller version of this at Purley, Surrey. Awful to drive around - quite scarey at times.
Note to self...never go to Swindon or Surry...lol
Old Jan 7th 2011, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Note to self...never go to Swindon or Surry...lol
surrey..
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:27 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

For those that have been reading my updates....Well, you never know what's around the corner. In my case it's a pothole. Spoke to hubby last night via Skype. He has been laid off from work. Lost his job on Wednesday.

So now we are both unemployed.

Sort of wished I hadn't booked a five week visit to the US now. I need to be getting work in England. But such is life.

It looks like the house share thing with the ex is a non starter anyway because the house has to be rented out right now and neither he nor I have the funds available to pay the rent up front.

Back to the drawing board as they say.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
For those that have been reading my updates....Well, you never know what's around the corner. In my case it's a pothole. Spoke to hubby last night via Skype. He has been laid off from work. Lost his job on Wednesday.

So now we are both unemployed.

Sort of wished I hadn't booked a five week visit to the US now. I need to be getting work in England. But such is life.

It looks like the house share thing with the ex is a non starter anyway because the house has to be rented out right now and neither he nor I have the funds available to pay the rent up front.

Back to the drawing board as they say.
Oh thats a bummer High...so sorry about your Hubby..if its not one thing is 10 others huh?
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

wingandapray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Glad it has worked out well for you.

Oh yes Australia is getting very expensive I must say.
I suppose its "swings and roundabouts"-its quite hard everywhere-Its just we want to do it here-and we are mean't to-simply we will keep going.....
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:53 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Had a PM from Rodney, he has bought a new laptop and all is well, I had PM'd him about a month ago about the quit smoking tablets he was just going on and he replied to me earlier. No doubt he will be along soon to give us an update on life in Portsmouth.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Had a PM from Rodney, he has bought a new laptop and all is well, I had PM'd him about a month ago about the quit smoking tablets he was just going on and he replied to me earlier. No doubt he will be along soon to give us an update on life in Portsmouth.
Thanks for the update - I wondered how he was getting on with settling into his new life. Well, I am signing off for tonight - it is 1am here in the UK. I will catch up with the other postings later in the day. Rosie
Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
Anyone from Canada who can tell me how they did on epends on which province you have a Canadian licence from?
I think there maybe a trend in the US for stick shifts to become more popular and in the UK people are buying more Automatics so go and figure?
Hello Cheers - not really quite true - your final comment I mean. many garages - the one I have used since demob in 1954 - only stock new and used manuals. You have to order, an Automatic, if like myself that is your option.
Same here in Thailand, if you want an Automatic - then they ship it in.
Do scour Ebay.co.uk, and you will discover, the ratio, manual/Auto is about 6/1.
I think many in UK, are frightened of them, since a car went over a sea wall some years ago! odd really regards dontheturner
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Probably better if one takes the test while they are still driving on their American license ,so as not to not have one at all if you leave it too late and fail !!!!

I think the rule that Americans can drive for one year is totally silly IMO ,if you are going to have an accident ,surely it would be more likely to happen when you first get there.
I couldn't agree more, Now there's a logical thinker.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Ive been driving for over 30 years, would I still need lessons in the UK????
Hello Jackie.

I say have a few lessons at least, they do offer refresher courses.

Dont confuse getting a driving licence in America to passing your test in the UK, America is a piece of cake compared to the UK.

I took my test in the late 70s, back then things were long and drawn out, there was a four month waiting list for an appointment, you couldnt just walk in like at the D.M.V.

You couldnt re-test the same day, it was a case of waiting months again, the failure of a test didnt make it free, you pay wether you pass or fail.

So get right on it.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

I have never driven a stick shift, can I get a license just based on driving an automatic...??? (just got here, havent read the thread yet, sorry if that has been answered already..lol.)
Jackie
Not sure about American driving liscence, only know about Canadian, I think Denise, DDL, exchanged her US liscence for UK one. I think it is the same in regards to automatic though.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Not sure about American driving liscence, only know about Canadian, I think Denise, DDL, exchanged her US liscence for UK one. I think it is the same in regards to automatic though.
I didn't think there was a reciprocal agreement between the US and UK. There certainly isn't regarding the US...depending what state you move to you may have to take a written or road test...or both.

AFAIK if you move to the UK and only have an US DL you are allowed to drive an automatic vehicle for one year...then you must obtain a UK licence by taking the UK test.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

I still have my UK License but I'm not sure I remember how to drive a stick shift
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I didn't think there was a reciprocal agreement between the US and UK. There certainly isn't regarding the US...depending what state you move to you may have to take a written or road test...or both.

AFAIK if you move to the UK and only have an US DL you are allowed to drive an automatic vehicle for one year...then you must obtain a UK licence by taking the UK test.
I don't think you are restricted to an automatic though are you ?

My understanding was that you were allowed to drive a manual also ,just make sure to take the UK test during that first year to be able to continue ????
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I don't think you are restricted to an automatic though are you ?

My understanding was that you were allowed to drive a manual also , ????
True

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.