Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:23 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Barb, Maybe you , or others should look at www.bainstravel.co.uk, as they will collect you from the correct terminal, be waving a sign board at the correct time, and will ship you by courier car to your destination, with out expensive charges. - you tell them the size of your luggages, and they are very reliable. Love dontheturner
Thanks Don, but I have my sisters to pick me up at the airport.

But that looks like a great service and would surely help other lone returnees.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:33 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Barbara, my understanding is that the trains are free in the Merseryside area. Maybe the ferries are also. Check into it when you can.

I have looked at all the different discounts on the trains and they appear to include all people so it maybe a smoke screen. Still for us veterans when we buy an advance ticket with our senior card the ticket can be quite cheap. I just hope we don't have to stand up on the train.
I will check this out for you Cheers, you think my mother would have mentioned it as she does love a freebie!!

I remember she used her free bus pass in the Lake District so I think the buses are free all over England, but not Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland?

EDITED

Yes Cheers you are correct, free trains, buses and ferries however you have to be a permanent resident of Merseyside, which my mother isn't.

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/infor...der-people.asp

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 6th 2011 at 6:50 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:52 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by wingandapray
Hi everyone
Sorry I haven't been on-its just we are so busy trying to work things out-we are going extremely well however its very expensive and work is difficult but we are plodding along-could be buying a house soon-I worked out it would be MORE expensive to live in Australia than here in OUR circumstance as I will NEVER work for an Australian again-so there goes one wage-but I will do work here-going to do a PGCE and teach---so all u lot that are hesitating to come back home DONT!!!
I really love it here and Christmas was smashing-we have been back 9 months end of January-I have even survived the snow!!!
Glad it has worked out well for you.

Oh yes Australia is getting very expensive I must say.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:57 pm
Home Sweet Home

Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I've moved some of the posts from the first Over 50's and 60's thread and started a new thread. The original thread had gotten to be over 11,000 posts long and was very slow to load for some people. So I've moved 50 pages of threads from the other thread to this new thread in order to maintain continuity, and I've closed the other thread. It will still be around for reference, you just won't be able to post in it anymore.

Sue
Thanks Sue, I bet you can't keep up with us oldies!!!
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:01 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Question...

Can I use my US debit card in UK ATMs???
Yes, but you might want to inform your US bank you will be doing this, or it may get blocked (happened to me). A lot of card fraud is perpetrated in foreign countries so when your bank or CC company see a transaction overseas they tend to get all worked up.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I will check this out for you Cheers, you think my mother would have mentioned it as she does love a freebie!!

I remember she used her free bus pass in the Lake District so I think the buses are free all over England, but not Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland?

EDITED

Yes Cheers you are correct, free trains, buses and ferries however you have to be a permanent resident of Merseyside, which my mother isn't.

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/infor...der-people.asp
My SIL lives in Spain!!!
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:11 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
My SIL lives in Spain!!!
Did she live in Merseyside and "forget" to tell them she had moved to Spain?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Sallysimmons, I'm coming in a bit late to your discussion of your situation--triggered I think by Hi Speed Grandma/Sue's request for advice in her own dilemma about whether to live with her ex-husband...

...but I just want to say I so understand what you mean, about not wanting to drag your husband kicking and screaming to the UK (in his case, I gather it's back to the UK as he is also originally from there--you said you "both wanted to emigrate" when you came....).
You want it to be something he wants as well--otherwise if there are are glitches etc the responsibility is all yours.

I felt like this for years...even more so in my case, because my husband was both the major wage earner--well, the only wage earner really, I've earned a little here and there--and also an American, so an upheaval to the UK would have been really traumatic if he didn't want to go...or if he didn't at least willingly agree!

But over the last few years my feelings shifted to more what trottytrue and others describe.
First, I've been the "foreigner" (tho I did plunge myself into American life, make friends, become part of the community etc) all these years, now it's his turn.
Second, life is short and this yearning won't go away. He did keep hoping it would...he kept hoping visits to Uk would get it out of my system...nope. Just made it worse! Then we bought a property there, which made me very happy and I really appreciate that he was willing to fulfil this dream of mine....we rented it out sometimes and visited sometimes...but I just keep wanting to spend more and more time there!
Finally he realized how very important this yearning is to me. We too, like you and your husband, don't want to spend long periods apart or to separate over such an issue....so we have to work it out.....he finally said he was thinking of retiring and we could move to UK--or at least start spending long periods of time there.
(OK OK the men reading might say I finally wore him down and got my way.....maybe!!! )

At the same time, I myself came to more or less accept that I will always be torn between two countries as long as I have children here....so I would settle--unless by a miracle all children moved to the UK or at least Europe!-- for half the year in each (or two thirds UK/one third USA, whatever works for that ghastly tax/residency minefield I still don't know enough about...)

So...that's when we sold the big family house (thank goodness--though we took a large loss) and downsized, preparatory to be freer to spend long chunks of time in UK...and then suddenly came this job offer in France for my husband! he found he was excited by it and not ready to retire just yet...so here I am in France, furnishing an apartment--oops, a flat--and he will follow soon in just over a week.....

All this is distracting me from the English longings, and of course it's wonderful being in France, and knowing I am so close to UK anyway...

Goodness, I'm rambling.

What I'm trying to say is that I understand exactly where you are.

I also understand those who say to their spouses (esp when the spouse is a non-UK person), look, this is really crucial to my emotional well-being and I beg you to take it seriously.

And I can even understand--though don't know if I would/could do it--those who say, ok, it's been long enough, I'm going whether you come or not.

High Speed Grandma, how great to read your long, interesting post!
I find it harder to understand your situation than sally's. My husband and I wouldn't have been OK with the long separation you've had while you were in Hong Kong--I'm not criticizing, it's just that everyone is different.
And if I had an ex-husband (which I don't, as current hubby is only one I've had, and it's been 30 years) I know very definitely my husband wouldn't like my housesharing with him!
But you seem to have managed that rare and admirable thing, to remain friendly with an ex...

So my answer (not that I presume to have a clue what you should do really) is along the lines of those who have said: the housesharing idea sounds as if it could work ok, but what about your current marriage?
You mention possibly being divorced in the future...not sure if/when husband will come to UK...it sounds as if these are things that need looking into...

This forum is so great because we are all in different situations, but sometimes parallel--so we can understand each other mostly--and if not, at least we respect each other...we're united by our common longing for the UK.

Which reminds me, I too miss Celtic Spirit, who was in a difficult and painful situation....would love to hear from her again, and feel very sorry she didn't feel supported here...

Tina.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, just paid $272 for my extra 3 bags..yikes!!! but its official now...really gotta get rid of some more stuff..lol
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Did she live in Merseyside and "forget" to tell them she had moved to Spain?
I believe so. (Shakes head) Do I approve? NO!!!
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

stole this from another thread...love it..

IF I should die, think only this of me;
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:01 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Rovers

Just an update...

Tony started his job today with Runnymede Council. He thinks he's going to like it; a total career change (from Web Developer to Planning Enforcement Officer!). It's less than 10 miles from where we live. It took him about 40 minutes to get to work this morning but only about 15 minutes to drive home after work. Go figure.

And as if the stars were beginning to align for us, I got a phone call from a local recruiter this morning about a Legal Secretary job here in Staines that I had applied for (but was not selected) last November. Apparently, the person who got the job didn't work out (I was told what the problem was) so they want to look at my CV again so maybe, just maybe, I'll get called in for an interview.

It's been raining a good bit lately but at least temperatures aren't quite as frigid as they have been. Rainy, overcast weather has never bothered me! I lived in the Aleutian Islands for 3 years ... some people had to actually leave the island because they couldn't tolerate the bleakness. Not me. I just considered it tea weather.

I'm going to my first panto on Sunday night!!! I've seen them on telly, but have never been to one in person. We're going to see Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Should be loads of fun, and I can't wait!!

Tony and I "gave" one another National Trust memberships for Christmas, and our cards, membership book, etc., arrived today. Really looking forward to putting this to good use throughout 2011.

I'm currently reading a delightful collection of stories called Icons of England. Apart from the subject matter , what I really like about this book is that each little essay is no more than 3 pages long. Here's Amazon's description:
This celebration of the English countryside does not only focus on the rolling green landscapes and magnificent monuments that set England apart from the rest of the world. Many of the contributors bring their own special touch, presenting a refreshingly eclectic variety of personal icons, from pub signs to seaside piers, from cattle grids to canal boats, and from village cricket to nimbies. First published as a lavish colour coffee table book, this new expanded paperback edition has double the original number of contributions from many celebrities including Bill Bryson, Michael Palin, Eric Clapton, Bryan Ferry, Sebastian Faulks, Kate Adie, Kevin Spacey, Gavin Pretor-Pinney, Richard Mabey , Simon Jenkins, John Sergeant, Benjamin Zephaniah, Joan Bakewell, Antony Beevor, Libby Purves, Jonathan Dimbleby, and many more. It can be purchased here: http://amzn.to/hvpOxX
Just finishing off a cup of tea and slice of Christmas Cake. Life is good.

Last edited by DDL; Jan 6th 2011 at 8:10 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Hello Rovers

Just an update...

Tony started his job today with Runnymede Council. He thinks he's going to like it; a total career change (from Web Developer to Planning Enforcement Officer!). It's less than 10 miles from where we live. It took him about 40 minutes to get to work this morning but only about 15 minutes to drive home after work. Go figure.

And as if the stars were beginning to align for us, I got a phone call from a local recruiter this morning about a Legal Secretary job here in Staines that I had applied for (but was not selected) last November. Apparently, the person who got the job didn't work out (I was told what the problem was) so they want to look at my CV again so maybe, just maybe, I'll get called in for an interview.

It's been raining a good bit lately but at least temperatures aren't quite as frigid as they have been. Rainy, overcast weather has never bothered me! I lived in the Aleutian Islands for 3 years ... some people had to actually leave the island because they couldn't tolerate the bleakness. Not me. I just considered it tea weather.

I'm going to my first panto on Sunday night!!! I've seen them on telly, but have never been to one in person. We're going to see Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Should be loads of fun, and I can't wait!!

Tony and I "gave" one another National Trust memberships for Christmas, and our cards, membership book, etc., arrived today. Really looking forward to putting this to good use throughout 2011.

I'm currently reading a delightful collection of stories called Icons of England. Apart from the subject matter , what I really like about this book is that each little essay is no more than 3 pages long. Here's Amazon's description:
This celebration of the English countryside does not only focus on the rolling green landscapes and magnificent monuments that set England apart from the rest of the world. Many of the contributors bring their own special touch, presenting a refreshingly eclectic variety of personal icons, from pub signs to seaside piers, from cattle grids to canal boats, and from village cricket to nimbies. First published as a lavish colour coffee table book, this new expanded paperback edition has double the original number of contributions from many celebrities including Bill Bryson, Michael Palin, Eric Clapton, Bryan Ferry, Sebastian Faulks, Kate Adie, Kevin Spacey, Gavin Pretor-Pinney, Richard Mabey , Simon Jenkins, John Sergeant, Benjamin Zephaniah, Joan Bakewell, Antony Beevor, Libby Purves, Jonathan Dimbleby, and many more. It can be purchased here: http://amzn.to/hvpOxX
Hopefully the job comes through for you - that would be an excellent way to start the New Year .

I do miss the British Pantomine - a very British institution that really can not be replicated anywhere else IMHO. Have fun and remember to join in with all the audience participation - it's all part of the experience.

And one of the first things I will be buying when I come home is a National Trust membership so enjoy that over the upcoming year.

Thanks for the update
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Hello Rovers

Just an update...

Excellent update, DDL/Denise--thank you! Great that Tony had a good first day and thinks he will like his job, and that you have another chance at that legal secretary job....

This exact situation, where the first person hired did not work out and the second choice was called back, happened to both my son and my sister!! (Son in US, sis in UK). They were both called back, as you have been, were hired, and both are extremely happy in their jobs.

Enjoy the panto--they are SUCH fun! (OH NO they aren't! Oh YES they are! etc etc...) especially the audience participation, as has been said....

Thanks for the book tip, sounds like a lovely one and I'll look out for it next time I'm in a bookshop in the UK...which is almost every day when I'm there!
(I am a bookaholic).

Tina
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:39 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

I'm currently reading a delightful collection of stories called Icons of England. Apart from the subject matter , what I really like about this book is that each little essay is no more than 3 pages long. Here's Amazon's description:[INDENT]This celebration of the English countryside does not only focus on the rolling green landscapes and magnificent monuments that set England apart from the rest of the world. Many of the contributors bring their own special touch, presenting a refreshingly eclectic variety of personal icons, from pub signs to seaside piers, from cattle grids to canal boats, and from village cricket to nimbies. First published as a lavish colour coffee table book, this new expanded paperback edition has double the original number of contributions from many celebrities including Bill Bryson, Michael Palin, Eric Clapton, Bryan Ferry, Sebastian Faulks, Kate Adie, Kevin Spacey, Gavin Pretor-Pinney, Richard Mabey , Simon Jenkins, John Sergeant, Benjamin Zephaniah, Joan Bakewell, Antony Beevor, Libby Purves, Jonathan Dimbleby, and many more. It can be purchased here: http://amzn.to/hvpOxX
Thanks for the recommendation - it's available digitally so I downloaded the first few chapters onto my iPad to check it out (you can start reading for free and then only pay if you like the book). I already love the introduction by Bill Bryson where he's trying to understand the seaside.

Good luck with the job!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.