Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:51 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Sallysimmons...Thanks for the explantion you seem to have things well in hand. I hope it all works out for you. I dont know what sort of business you have but that must be difficult. My husband and I always get together on ideas but somehow his always seem to float to the top he's better at saying what he means than I am. I tend to give in and go with the flow.
I think there will come a time when you will know whats the right thing to do. I am not sure that New Hampshire and Maine are what you want but then it depends. If you like isolation and lots of cold weather you will like it. You may like Rhode Island. Newport, Portsmouth and Middletown are all towns on Aquidneck Island. That is a very pretty area.

Fish n Chips 56..You've heard of the saying "if only". Well thats how I feel. If only we hadnt listend to that estate agent 3 years ago and gone with the price he estimated the house was worth and gone with one of the other agents who had a lower price this place could have been sold by now. But we were greedy and wanted the most for the place and look what that got us. The post might not have fitted Sallysimmons but there may be someone else who is dithering and wondering what to do and if anything I post helps them then I am happy. I think looking back I would not have done anything to the house just sold it as is. We spent around $10,000 before we put the house up for sale. But I dont think it made any difference to those who looked at it. Cheaper would have sold it quicker. Now we have to revalue it in March, lets hope we do it right this time. We are leaving it as it is over the winter.
Trotty, I think you're right that we won't like NH or Maine - but then that could be a good thing for me . I'll look into Rhode Island.

I hope I didn't sound dismissive of your post - I think you made some excellent points, it's just that I know my husband. In our marriage, I'm the one who is better at expressing my ideas and we usually wind up doing what I want. That scares me in this instance because I do not want to push him out of a happy life and into one he hates. He would resent me and I would hate that. Every little thing that went wrong would be my fault. Every disappointment would be a mark against me. No, for it to work, it has to be his choice too and I'm willing to wait for him to make it.

Our situation is a bit different to some here in that we both wanted to emigrate. So for 20 years we were in agreement about where to spend our lives, and then I suddenly changed my mind. I can't expect him to instantly agree given the circumstances, but I'm stoked at how open-minded he is being.

I think you're right about the house pricing, although I do think you were right to do the work. My theory is that the only way to sell in a bad market is to give amazing value for money. So it should look the best it can and be cheaper than all the other similar houses for sale in the area. I might be full of it though We'll see when we go to sell.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
How many sleeps now for Don and Tim? I think I am about a week behind you and have done nothing!!
says she who is sitting on her suitcases by the front door
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are LOL!! Buses are free but not trains, I think JJ has explained that you have to pay for a senior pass to get a 1/3 off train fares.
Barbara, my understanding is that the trains are free in the Merseryside area. Maybe the ferries are also. Check into it when you can.

I have looked at all the different discounts on the trains and they appear to include all people so it maybe a smoke screen. Still for us veterans when we buy an advance ticket with our senior card the ticket can be quite cheap. I just hope we don't have to stand up on the train.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

wingandapray is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone
Sorry I haven't been on-its just we are so busy trying to work things out-we are going extremely well however its very expensive and work is difficult but we are plodding along-could be buying a house soon-I worked out it would be MORE expensive to live in Australia than here in OUR circumstance as I will NEVER work for an Australian again-so there goes one wage-but I will do work here-going to do a PGCE and teach---so all u lot that are hesitating to come back home DONT!!!
I really love it here and Christmas was smashing-we have been back 9 months end of January-I have even survived the snow!!!
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah me Scouse and I am not sharing them with you ha ha!!

Not really.......
I'll get you for that
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Can anyone guess when I'm moving to the UK? Take a guess.

I'd like to know.

BTW. I hear it raining steadily in England for last few days.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 3:26 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cheers

I'd like to know.

You are coming back because you like the weather here !!

Rain this week, yes on and off here in East Anglia, was snow for an hour or so yesterday but didn't stick. But overall there has been less rain than one would expect according to the way that some think it rains here constantly.

Re: standing on trains, a ticket does not guarantee a seat and peak period trains are often full. Some but not all trains have seat designation / reservation. Best to reserve long distance seats if possible or use off-peak.

here is a good article on train travel http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...-train-tickets
Old Jan 6th 2011, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Trotty, I think you're right that we won't like NH or Maine - but then that could be a good thing for me . I'll look into Rhode Island.

I hope I didn't sound dismissive of your post - I think you made some excellent points, it's just that I know my husband. In our marriage, I'm the one who is better at expressing my ideas and we usually wind up doing what I want. That scares me in this instance because I do not want to push him out of a happy life and into one he hates. He would resent me and I would hate that. Every little thing that went wrong would be my fault. Every disappointment would be a mark against me. No, for it to work, it has to be his choice too and I'm willing to wait for him to make it.

Our situation is a bit different to some here in that we both wanted to emigrate. So for 20 years we were in agreement about where to spend our lives, and then I suddenly changed my mind. I can't expect him to instantly agree given the circumstances, but I'm stoked at how open-minded he is being.

I think you're right about the house pricing, although I do think you were right to do the work. My theory is that the only way to sell in a bad market is to give amazing value for money. So it should look the best it can and be cheaper than all the other similar houses for sale in the area. I might be full of it though We'll see when we go to sell.
Sally, we really do understand where you are coming from, my situation is similar, I can't push too hard or it wont happen, just a gentle push here and there, I always explain the medical issues, my wife has seen my parents grow old here and doesn't want to be stuck in that same situation, thats whats working for me.

I totally agree on house pricing, youve got to appear to be the best price/value to get peoples interest.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Sally, we really do understand where you are coming from, my situation is similar, I can't push too hard or it wont happen, just a gentle push here and there, I always explain the medical issues, my wife has seen my parents grow old here and doesn't want to be stuck in that same situation, thats whats working for me.

I totally agree on house pricing, youve got to appear to be the best price/value to get peoples interest.
Probably I also have the same situation so does that make three of us?
I met my wife here about 44 years ago so she has a right to stay here if thats what she wants and my wishes are secondary.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 5:11 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I always explain the medical issues, my wife has seen my parents grow old here and doesn't want to be stuck in that same situation, thats whats working for me.
Yes, that's a big driver for him too. And all this talk of repealing the only bit of healthcare security we have (the new law) is also pushing him towards leaving.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:08 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I've moved some of the posts from the first Over 50's and 60's thread and started a new thread. The original thread had gotten to be over 11,000 posts long and was very slow to load for some people. So I've moved 50 pages of threads from the other thread to this new thread in order to maintain continuity, and I've closed the other thread. It will still be around for reference, you just won't be able to post in it anymore.

Sue
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:08 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to know.

February?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Barbara, my understanding is that the trains are free in the Merseryside area. Maybe the ferries are also. Check into it when you can.

I have looked at all the different discounts on the trains and they appear to include all people so it maybe a smoke screen. Still for us veterans when we buy an advance ticket with our senior card the ticket can be quite cheap. I just hope we don't have to stand up on the train.
This rings a bell. My SIL visited us in Chester from Liverpool in May. She travelled there by train with a free pass. I don't know the details though.

Valerie
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
February?
That was my guess too! Heading for Chester?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:14 pm
Finally Home!

Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Not in the Lake District!

Here's my evidence: http://www.lakelandcam.co.uk/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.