Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:38 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

"THE LADY" magazine, OK it's old (02/02/2010) but howsabout these ads for those who have no idea of how they will manage or where they will end up..........

EXCELLENT HOUSEKEEPER/Nanny required for family in Holland Park. Must be very loving and have impeccable standards for care of 2 yr old boy. Live-in with willingness to travel frequently. Passport holder essential. £1800 net p/m. Please apply with CV and references.

FATHER OF THREE children (and fantastic dog) looking for a full time live in housekeeper. Jobs include cooking, cleaning, washing and ironing, dog walking and general household maintenance. Experience is essential, references necessary and a driving licence will be looked on favourably. £400 per week before tax.

COTSWOLD ESTATE requires one and a half gardeners/maintenance. 2 bed cottage inc.

FREE ACCOMMODATION DORSET For part time help with horses (no riding) garden/grass, general duties. No housework (). Non smokers. No children/pets.

JERSEY Experienced live-in housekeeper/cook required for a lovely family with 2 young children and a baby on the way. Hands on care of 5 bedroom open plan house, laundry and some dog walking. Must be confident with babies and an animal lover. To cook simple family meals. 1 bedroom flat with own entrance as accommodation. Mon-Fri 7am to 6pm with time off during the day. £500 gross per week. Driver essential. Start ASAP.

Dependent upon what you want, how hard can these jobs be??
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
"THE LADY" magazine, OK it's old (02/02/2010) but howsabout these ads for those who have no idea of how they will manage or where they will end up..........

EXCELLENT HOUSEKEEPER/Nanny required for family in Holland Park. Must be very loving and have impeccable standards for care of 2 yr old boy. Live-in with willingness to travel frequently. Passport holder essential. £1800 net p/m. Please apply with CV and references.

FATHER OF THREE children (and fantastic dog) looking for a full time live in housekeeper. Jobs include cooking, cleaning, washing and ironing, dog walking and general household maintenance. Experience is essential, references necessary and a driving licence will be looked on favourably. £400 per week before tax.

COTSWOLD ESTATE requires one and a half gardeners/maintenance. 2 bed cottage inc.

FREE ACCOMMODATION DORSET For part time help with horses (no riding) garden/grass, general duties. No housework (). Non smokers. No children/pets.

JERSEY Experienced live-in housekeeper/cook required for a lovely family with 2 young children and a baby on the way. Hands on care of 5 bedroom open plan house, laundry and some dog walking. Must be confident with babies and an animal lover. To cook simple family meals. 1 bedroom flat with own entrance as accommodation. Mon-Fri 7am to 6pm with time off during the day. £500 gross per week. Driver essential. Start ASAP.

Dependent upon what you want, how hard can these jobs be??
Sounds great Bee. I'll take the Cotswold Estate gardener with 2br cottage included!

I would like to suggest that those who are, or will be seeking jobs in the UK, think outside the box. We all have strengths, gifts and interests, so it might be a possibility to create your own job. This has many advantages.
I could perhaps go back to the business world but frankly I have done my time of being chained to a desk in a fluorescent lit stale-aired environment, subject to the whim and fancy of my current "boss". As a gardener, I am free to set my own schedule ("Sorry, my next opening is on Thursday ), be outside communing with nature (and healthier as a result from the microorganisms in the soil as well as the fresh air) and bill at an hourly rate that is way above what I could expect in other jobs available on the island.
OK so I am an independent, freedom lover. FREEDOM!
Statistics are useful to give an overall picture but can lead people to a feeling of hopelessness. Someone on another thread here wrote a wonderful post on unemployment stats in Canada (higher than the UK). This island has one of the highest unemployment rates but I have never, in 10 years been unemployed. I made a commitment to myself when I left the business world that I would only work at things I really enjoyed. It makes one's life so much happier and eliminates the need for using the word "retirement". Retire from what? Life? Of course we slow down a bit as we age but we can choose less physical work at this time.
I also work as a silk dyer for Treenway Silks, a web-based company. I receive dye orders by email and work on them in my home studio in the evening, while watching telly or listening to music.
Of course, not everyone wants to be a gardener or a dyer, but consider self-employment as an option. What services are needed in your local area? Could you fill a gap and make some money in the process?
I shall look into the gardening jobs but even there, unless I hire myself out privately, I shall be beholden to someone else setting my schedule, pay and tasks. I prefer to be master of my own destiny.

Congratulations Bee on realizing those 2 jobs were not right for you. I know you will find something in the right area that is really fulfilling.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:59 am
Just Joined

tomarto is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,
I've decided to take the plunge and join this forum. It is just wonderful to find like-minded people who understand the anguish and yearning to be back home. I used to think it was just me

I've read all the posts and been inspired by the people who have made the move, esp. ED, Rodney and DDL to name but a few.

I have lived in the San Francisco bay area for 24 years and now I am inching my way to retirement. I am thinking of returning to England in October (if I can manage it) or next spring.

I came here alone with just 2 suitcases after getting divorced in the UK and didn't even look back! But now I have a house to sell and also to bring my dog back. My biggest anxiety is my dog (I know the procedure but hate to put her in cargo). Also I don't have an area in mind to move to.

For those of you who are green card holders, did you file a sailing permit when you left? I haven't seen much about this on the forums. Or did you just keep filing taxes each year?

Thanks

PS I hope this posts OK. I've never posted on a forum before.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Agreed Derrygal.. In an ideal world I will hopefully go to grad school, become speech pathologist and either work in schools or travel therapist. I will then if work in schools get summers off and go back to UK for summers..I am slowly making this all happen.. All in all though I can be quite negative and had bit meltdown today and have to remind myself of what I have instead of what I don't have..
Fulwood,
I agree with focusing on what you have sooner then what you dont.

Life is depressing sometimes and I know its difficult but we really do have to be greatful for what we have, so many have so much less, many are sick, stop worrying as that always seems to make things worse, Concentrate on the good things and think positive towards the future, Enjoy your trip...

I wish you well. Fish
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomarto
Hi everyone,
I've decided to take the plunge and join this forum. It is just wonderful to find like-minded people who understand the anguish and yearning to be back home. I used to think it was just me

I've read all the posts and been inspired by the people who have made the move, esp. ED, Rodney and DDL to name but a few.

I have lived in the San Francisco bay area for 24 years and now I am inching my way to retirement. I am thinking of returning to England in October (if I can manage it) or next spring.

I came here alone with just 2 suitcases after getting divorced in the UK and didn't even look back! But now I have a house to sell and also to bring my dog back. My biggest anxiety is my dog (I know the procedure but hate to put her in cargo). Also I don't have an area in mind to move to.

For those of you who are green card holders, did you file a sailing permit when you left? I haven't seen much about this on the forums. Or did you just keep filing taxes each year?

Thanks

Welcome to part of the way home. I'm from England and I tell people when they hear a little bit of my accent that I have lived most of my life in the San Francisco Bay Area. Danville mostly. I met my wife in San Francisco. She lived on Nob Hill. We have been married almost 45 wonderful years.
I now live in Southern tip of Utah where the polygamists live. They actually live 30 miles away but we see them in Costco all of the time. I like them. I don't agree with them but that goes for 95% of people.
We look forward to your posts.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
bandrui, have you got any closer to deciding where you'd like to live when you go back?
No Sally. It's an ever-expanding area .

Lately, I have been asking myself how close to the sea I need to be. I have lived on the coast here for 26 years now and I love the ocean.
I also like to put seaweed on my garden - a great natural fertiliser.
I donb't really have any answers at the moment.
I am still thinking Southwest.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:42 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Aw, that one sounds like there's a sad story behind it.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:47 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Welcome! If you've read any of my posts you know I sympathize with your anxiety about your dog, although in my case it's cats. Congrats on making the decision and I'm glad you jumped in to the conversation - the more the merrier!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:51 am
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by bandrui
No Sally. It's an ever-expanding area .

Lately, I have been asking myself how close to the sea I need to be. I have lived on the coast here for 26 years now and I love the ocean.
I also like to put seaweed on my garden - a great natural fertiliser.
I donb't really have any answers at the moment.
I am still thinking Southwest.
I understand the Norfolk coast is very beautiful and a little bit wild. It's rural, which I know you like and I understand it's a bit of a slower pace of life than many parts of Britain. Someone who knows Norfolk could say more, but for some reason Norfolk has been coming to mind for me when I read your posts.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

I understand the Norfolk coast is very beautiful and a little bit wild. It's rural, which I know you like and I understand it's a bit of a slower pace of life than many parts of Britain. Someone who knows Norfolk could say more, but for some reason Norfolk has been coming to mind for me when I read your posts.
I think the biggest thing against this for me is that I want to be able to drive to Worcester for family research and visit some of the stone circles of Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Wiltshire.

My other access requirements are driving distance to Stoke, access to London which would likely still be possible from there.

I was thinking today that I need a giant map of England to put on my wall.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

My family originates from Norwich in Norfolk and also Devon on my father's side and Wales on my mother's side. I heard nothing bad about any of them when I was growing up - only good things
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I think the biggest thing against this for me is that I want to be able to drive to Worcester for family research and visit some of the stone circles of Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Wiltshire.

My other access requirements are driving distance to Stoke, access to London which would likely still be possible from there.

I was thinking today that I need a giant map of England to put on my wall.

Linda, you do your family research, too? I was just saying to my half-ssiter in England the other day how much fun it would be to drive (and/or take the train) all over the south of England looking for our ancestors' former homes and grave sites and to retrace their steps. What an adventure!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:25 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Welcome. Dh and I have got our US citizenship, it saves a bunch of hassle especially seeing we want to collect our US social security in the UK one day. and theres a SS office in the Embassy in London, we'll be filing US federal taxes forever Oh well. But them we know we can come back to US should any of the children end up back here and we want to visit for as long as we want. no visa needed.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Linda, you do your family research, too? I was just saying to my half-ssiter in England the other day how much fun it would be to drive (and/or take the train) all over the south of England looking for our ancestors' former homes and grave sites and to retrace their steps. What an adventure!
On one trip we went to Wales to do FR and went to the Welsh National Libruary.

In a village church graveyard we found headstones and one had been spruced up which was spooky because it means someone else, we think, is doing FR on our family.

FYI in Wales with so many people with the same last name people would be referred to by the name of the farm that they farmed. For example my dads cousins name was Jimmy Cline but his real last name was Davis. Davis was the name of so many people in that area.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
Oh, Linda, wouldn't it be wonderful to go back home with no worries about where to live - with our beloved pets in tow Miracles DO happen. We just have to believe (and I try).
It certainly would. I have just spent the evening reading about NI, Pension credit, Guarantee credit and savings credit. The guarantee credit is sort of the equivalent of Housing Allowance for homeowners so that was good news. I must start contacting Canada Govt and US Govt to see if I am eleigible there. It appears that I will definitely get Old Age Security from Canada. US ? Who knows?
I think it will all work out. Eternal optimist that I am and there are millions of ways to make a little extra money beside the job market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.