Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

julierandall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

TY so much Rosie - can you tell me how to get there like a page number? I am a new person here!

TY so nice for us not to be all alone in our feelings - we think it is my sisters children that are being a bad influence!

TY Rosie and any one who can comment
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Sentosa, I was in the Uk for only two months and was able to get a monthly contract for my telephone and my dongle. Mine was with Three but will be changing to Orange in May as I get very fustrated trying to get information from someone who speaks very bad English in India
I have obviously been gone far too long Three? Orange? and what may I ask is a Dongle?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julierandall
We have been away visiting new grandson -which we both loved! So nice to know that family is extending. Tho we both a lil sad that we seem to be a lil estranged from some of our family here since we left for US and returned! We both very very upset

Can we ask has any of you felt same by son/daughter/sister/brother?

Thank you so much if you can share

Kind regards

A very sad Julie and Hubby
I have definitely felt this Julie. Not only in UK either. I didn't even get so much as a Christmas card from either my daughter or son. I have 4 grandchildren that I never see and it breaks my heart.
I have a cousin in England who seem even to have some animosity toward me and I have no idea why. I have a feeling it may have been something between my mother and his mother but don't really know. You know how the English are. Skeletons in closets, secrets long kept, unspoken resentments. Ultimately it comes back to the fact that we can only control how WE act and know that it is not always our stuff.
On the other hand this has all helped to be free to make the decision to return to the UK and build a new life for myself on home soil.
Try not to take it too much to heart. Things may change over time. But I do understand. My heart goes out to you.
Linda
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

TY so much Rosie - can you tell me how to get there like a page number? I am a new person here!

TY so nice for us not to be all alone in our feelings - we think it is my sisters children that are being a bad influence!

TY Rosie and any one who can comment
I just sent you a private message so that you can find the posts I mentioned. Look at the top pf the page under your Log In section, and there is a line marked Private Messages - that will let you know when you have a message - click on it and read your letter.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:21 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

We have been away visiting new grandson -which we both loved! So nice to know that family is extending. Tho we both a lil sad that we seem to be a lil estranged from some of our family here since we left for US and returned! We both very very upset

Can we ask has any of you felt same by son/daughter/sister/brother?

Thank you so much if you can share

Kind regards

A very sad Julie and Hubby
I haven't had direct experience of this, but I have a similar story. A friend had two children (now grown) and when he and his wife divorced, both children cut him off. He sent money for their birthdays and they returned it. He called at Christmas and they didn't ever call back. His ex-wife tried to talk to them but it was just a closed door. Obviously I don't know all the ins and outs, but that doesn't even matter. What matters is that one day it just all changed. Years had gone by, they had both got married and he had long ago given up hope of them softening, But he still kept calling and sending cards etc. One day out of the blue, his son called and told him that his wife was pregnant and would he like to come and see the baby after it was born. He was overjoyed. And when he made the trip, his daughter was there too!

He now has 3 grandchildren between the 2 kids and he visits them all regularly. I don't know if he knows to this day what changed - all he knows is that every time he sees those kiddies, his heart melts.

I know this isn't the same situation as yours, but I just wanted to say don't give up hope. People change. Keep being open to the connection and maybe one day it will happen for you too. In the meantime, I'm so sorry for your sadness.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I have obviously been gone far too long Three? Orange? and what may I ask is a Dongle?
Three and Orange are the names of mobile phone companies. A dongle (yes, what a name!) is a device like a thumb drive that you put into the USB port in your computer and it enables you to connect to the internet without having to have an Internet Provider contract. Have a look: http://www.broadband-expert.co.uk/dongle/
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Three and Orange are the names of mobile phone companies. A dongle (yes, what a name!) is a device like a thumb drive that you put into the USB port in your computer and it enables you to connect to the internet without having to have an Internet Provider contract. Have a look: http://www.broadband-expert.co.uk/dongle/

Wow, that's great.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

julierandall......Sorry to hear about your problems but I dont think that would be any different if you had not been away. Thats just how things are I know its sad but I have decided with my family there is nothing I can do about it I just have to let them get on with it. I am talking about my children they seem to have moved apart from one another although they are still friends but they are different so what can you expect. Regarding my family in the UK I had thought I would want to live close to them but I am having second thoughts being to close can cause problems so I am thinking of finding a place I really like and know I am able to go and see them when I want to but not get caught up in family crisis. One thing about being away for so long and being isolated from it I think you tend to take things harder than they do. I am isolated were I am so I might find it overwhelming having people around all day. I am use to being on my own. It takes a while to get back into the swing of things. Hope that helps.

If you want to go back and read old posts here is the link to the start of it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629454 You had better make yourself a cup of tea and take it easy for a while.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

We have a whole English food section. It's a Country Grocer chain. Galaxy bars, Turkish delight, and many other choc bars, teas from England, Cornish pasties (which they label Cornish Pastries and look at me as if I am mad when I tell them they are "Pasties"), Melton Mowbray pies, all kinds of stuff but hey, it's not England and like I said, they are high priced.

Sally it's an island of 10,000 people off the West Coast of Canada (Lotus land as they say in To) 30km long that was so sacred to the Native Indians that they didn't live here, just visited for rituals and clam digs. It's very rural... sheep farming, organic veggies, 3 vineyards, 2 lavender farms, lots of artists, with a semi-Mediterranean climate due to being in a rain shadow between the mainland of British Columbia (Vancouver) and the much larger Vancouver Island. It's one of the 5 Gulf Islands. Lots of Brits here. It's become a bit of a home away from home for Hollywood actors. A bit reminiscent of England in the 50s. It's beautiful but I am sure you will understand when I say that I am just going through the motions here. My heart is not here. Too much information?

We have a book room at the local recycling depot where anyone can bring books and magazines (or take them). One of my favourite places and probably why I have waaaay too many books. I pick up BBC Gardening magazines there and dream of having an English garden.
I read your post a few days ago and noticed you were from Salt Spring Island. If my partner and I had not been succesful in finding a property in England we had planned to move from Vancouver to Salt Spring. We were actually there in November looking at a few places. Having house sat for our friends there for several years now we grew very fond of the island.

We gave ourselves 3 months to check out England and see if it is really where we wanted to be and without a doubt England won out. We are about to move into a house in Brixham in Devon in which we plan on renting out the cottage which is on the property as well as doing B&B. It was a tough decision as Canada has been good to me but after 37 years I am drawn back to the West Country.
The whole process has gone amazingly well for us and I am back in Vancouver making the final arrangements for shipping our boxes etc. which are being picked up tomorrow morning and will arrive in 2-3 months. I head back on Tuesday with the cat. I am hoping we will have the keys to our new house by then and I will be able to go directly there.
I wish you luck with your plans and incidently we found the property prices in Devon more reasonable than Salt Spring.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
My sister got an Orange dongle last week.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
That's great news, David. That didn't take too long after all. You just have enough time to enjoy a few farewell parties before you head home for Spring in Devon
Almost there now....Hope to move in on my return from Vancouver.
Sad day today saying goodbye to so many people. Tomorrow morning the boxes will be picked up which will be a huge relief. All that's left to do is pack my suit cases and complete the sale of the car. Oh and yes can't forget the cat although it's not going to be a great experience for her. She does not travel well in the car let alone a plane. I think I may need ear plugs for the car journey from Heathrow to Devon.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HighTide
Almost there now....Hope to move in on my return from Vancouver.
Sad day today saying goodbye to so many people. Tomorrow morning the boxes will be picked up which will be a huge relief. All that's left to do is pack my suit cases and complete the sale of the car. Oh and yes can't forget the cat although it's not going to be a great experience for her. She does not travel well in the car let alone a plane. I think I may need ear plugs for the car journey from Heathrow to Devon.
Hello David, I sent you a PM. Elizabeth
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Wow, that's great.
Hello, Bandrui, this is an interesting connection, I lived on Salt Spring Island for a couple of years when there were only about 5000 people there and not very much of a town.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Three, Orange and O2 are only a few of the mobile and broadband providers in the UK. You can usually find them on the high street and of course the advertise a lot on the TV. A dongle is what I receive mobile broadband on without having a land line. It is not as stable as a land line and more expensive but you can take it anywhere to get internet access. When I got here it was a good thing for me as I was not sure where I was going to living for a long time, now I am considering a land line, wireless broadband, once this contract runs out in May. I am sure there is a more technical term for this piece of equipment but I don't know what it is, when I first heard of such a thing I thought it must be someone playing a joke on me as it sounded quite erotic

Last edited by Easterndawn; Mar 3rd 2011 at 4:45 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Three, Orange and O2 are only a few of the mobile and broadband providers in the UK. You can usually find them on the high street and of course the advertise a lot on the TV. A dongle is what I receive mobile broadband on without having a land line. It is not as stable as a land line and more expensive but you can take it anywhere to get internet access. When I got here it was a good thing for me as I was not sure where I was going to living for a long time, now I am considering a land line, wireless broadband, once this contract runs out in May. I am sure there is a more technical term for this piece of equipment but I don't know what it is, when I first heard of such a thing I thought it must be someone playing a joke on me as it sounded quite erotic
My sister and brother in law spend quite a lot of time on their narrow boat and a friend told her she should get a dongle. They were in Leamington Spa at the time but she was unable to complete the transaction at the Orange shop because she did not have a debit card. When she came back to Devon I called her on the land line from my mobile pretending to be Orange from Exeter saying " they had received a message from their Leamington shop regarding her dongle and would she like to come into the local shop. She said yes and that she would bring someone as she did not know much about dongles. I was trying to contain myself from laughing on the other end and then said would her husband require a dongle also or would they be interested in the family dongle". At that point I cracked up and she finally realised it was me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.