Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by stealthninja
But I am beginning to understand the pull of going back to the UK - just wish I could afford a place in the Cotswolds
Me too. My Grandma used to say to me when I was a little girl "Just give me a little cottage in the Cotswolds and I'd be happy".
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:51 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Britain's economy has nothing whatsoever to do with my decision to return. In fact, I wish the economy were not as good as it is because property might be less expensive and the exchange rate would be better. I am sure the economy is a factor for some but it certainly wasn't for me.

My heritage and the British culture are the reasons I am returning. I just prefer the lifestyle and the way of life over there.
I was taling about Eastern Europeans. Someone suggested that they go to the UK for the benefits. I suggested they go for the work.

The economy in the UK isn't good though, so you have your wish. The reason property is so expensive there is simply supply and demand. Not enough houses and too many people.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:13 am
Banned

stealthninja is a jewel in the roughstealthninja is a jewel in the roughstealthninja is a jewel in the roughstealthninja is a jewel in the roughstealthninja is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bandrui
I've lived on the island here for 10 years now. Dropped out of the corporate world in Vancouver in 2001. Yes, it is beautiful, but sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the mountains, the tall Douglas firs and Cedars and long for the open meadows and deciduous trees of England.
I think in the final analysis it is not what one country has or hasn't got but an inner feeling of being on home soil that drives so many of us to find our way back. It's how we feel inside rather than what we have. I am realising that more and more as I look around at all the things I shall sell that might have felt like things I have to have last week. It is easier than I thought it would be. There are a few things though that I shall try and keep if I can.
One of my real dilemmas will be a huge collection of books (mainly non-fiction) and fabrics that I have collected over the years, and would really like to keep at least some of, plus a couple of items of furniture but most can be sold..
I shall start to explore options re: shipping. Container? partial container? Other? I shall be very limited by cost. (Any info gratefully received).
I have a friend in Robert's Creek, BC who is also going back this year. Wonder if we could share a container? Bit difficult though as we are both only reachable by ferry and going to different places in the UK.
I had heard it might be worthwhile to buy a container and sell it again at the other end. Sounds like a really big deal though.

Stealthninja (great name!), Maple Ridge is beautiful too. Do you know Brian Arsenault who runs (used to run) the horse ranch/karaoke bar there. Can't remember the name of it.

I occasionally (once or twice a year) get over to the lower mainland. When I come over I would love to meet you for a cuppa in Van if you are game.

Thanks well-wishers for you posts.
Always game to meet up for a cuppa in Vancouver! I know of Brian Arsenault, but am not acquainted with him.
And it's now called The Rocking Horse.

You are much further ahead in your plans than I am, I have just admitted to myself that I would like to go back. Much work ahead!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stealthninja
You are much further ahead in your plans than I am, I have just admitted to myself that I would like to go back. Much work ahead!
I don't think so. I only decided this weekend! But once I decide, that's it. Full steam ahead!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

2011 Academy Awards.

I'm glad the Kings Speech did well.

The Awards presentation itself "Clumsy" The hosts were lacking. IMO.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:07 am
Just Joined

blackcatsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers
2011 Academy Awards.

I'm glad the Kings Speech did well.

The Awards presentation itself "Clumsy" The hosts were lacking. IMO.
I agree. Dreadful show; but very happy about The King's Speech
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning Everyone and welcome home Bee, her in Ayr the crocuses, snow drops having been blooming for a couple of weeks already and yesterday I noticed the daffodills are just about to. The weather here on the weekend was lovely, crisp mornings and warmer afternoons, so yes, definetly spring is on its way.

Nothing new on the car situation, will just have to wait and see what happens, hubby is out of hospital and now will be on full disability benefits back in Canada, that is probable a good thing.

Although I know that if the economy was better the property prices would go up again but for those of us who are living back in the UK, it really needs to get better as it is very difficult to watch the money you make go down the drain quicker than it did last year or even last month. I have notices that things are costing more at the grocery store and on the high street and petrol is £1.30 per litre and in some places more.

Rodney loving your posts with you mom, how lovely that you both get along so well.

Welcome to all the new people and also welcome back to Bee, Don and all those who have wandered back to the home of their birth.

Last edited by Easterndawn; Feb 28th 2011 at 5:16 am.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Rod,
How was the Sunday dinner in the country?
Darn good i would say and fer £5 per person you ccouldn'teven cook it yourself for that cheap,
Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Or maybe they choose Britain because, at least until recently, it had a thriving economy and there was more chance of finding work. Most immigrants work really hard in my experience, just like we all did when were moved to our adopted countries. Although I bet the Daily Mail can always the odd exception to scare the locals with.

The few times that Americans have gone on to me about lazy immigrants, I always tell them I am an immigrant too. They're quick to backtrack and say they don't mean people like me. When I ask them what kind of people they do mean, there's usually an awkward silence.
ha! sally, that's a great riposte.

I usually remind people that everyone in America is an immigrant or descended from immigrants except the native americans!

i hasten to clarify that i do not think all immigrants are lazy by any means, on the contrary i've known hardworking immigrants of every stripe in US and UK. And having been out of the country for so long I am not really au fait with what's going on in UK but I was talking to my mother who did say England's benefits policies are more generous than other EU countries and so that's why many people from poorer places in europe flock there, rather than to, eg, France or Germany, and our little country doesn't have much room, or enough resources...

Tina
Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:23 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

She sounds like my mum. She doesn't read the Daily Mail by any chance does she?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Darn good i would say and fer £5 per person you ccouldn'teven cook it yourself for that cheap,
Soooooo what was on the menu?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:26 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
The few times that Americans have gone on to me about lazy immigrants, I always tell them I am an immigrant too. They're quick to backtrack and say they don't mean people like me. When I ask them what kind of people they do mean, there's usually an awkward silence.

And the few times that Brits over here have gone on to me about lazy immigrants, I always tell them I am an immigrant too. They're quick to backtrack and say they don't mean people like me. When I ask them what kind of people they do mean, there's usually an awkward silence.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Soooooo what was on the menu?
I had roast beef with roasted parsnips/potatoes/carrots/and broccoli, and yorkshire pudding and gravy over everything,
Mum had roast lamb, same veggies, real mint sauce,
We both had apple pie & custard for desert, Hmmmmmm
And by the way the portions were (*HUGE) could'nt have got anymore on plate if they tried,

Last edited by jasper123; Feb 28th 2011 at 2:56 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
And the few times that Brits over here have gone on to me about lazy immigrants, I always tell them I am an immigrant too. They're quick to backtrack and say they don't mean people like me. When I ask them what kind of people they do mean, there's usually an awkward silence.
Well said, DDL - and sally too. Both sides of the pond have ignorant people, and sometime or the other we fall over them. I met one in Boots the Chemists a few weeks back, and it was all I could do not to punch her lights out, as the saying goes. Instead, I chose to rise above the problem and ignore the woman. Thankfully I have not met too many like her, but I am sure there are some lined up to pass on their opinions, especially when waiting around for ages in places like the doctors office or the chemists, and using the time to have a moan.

Last edited by islandwoman120; Feb 28th 2011 at 2:54 pm. Reason: grammar
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Well said, DDL - and sally too. Both sides of the pond have ignorant people, and sometime or the other we fall over them. I met one in Boots the Chemists a few weeks back, and it was all I could do not to punch her lights out, as the saying goes. Instead, I chose to rise above the problem and ignore the woman. Thankfully I have not met too many like her, but I am sure there are some lined up to pass on their opinions, especially when waiting around for ages in places like the doctors office or the chemists, and using the time to have a moan.
Do you know how many Ass holes there are in the world? --- well me neither but i sure do know that there are one hell of a lot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.