Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:24 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

We used to go on the private hire coaches to all the carnivals to compete in the Morris dancing when I was a kid. I've never heard of it being called a Charabanc before. I used to go out on the coach for the day with my grandmothers too, I think to get me out from under my mothers feet.
Here our lot, I'm in there too I had a lot of fun traveling about the north on a coach with this lot.
OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-mochdre-morris-dancers.jpg
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:35 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I worked till the week before first baby was born here in US, then after a c-section went back when he was 6 weeks old, they were calling me and guilted me into it. No maternity leave, but I could have 12 weeks on state disability payments seeing it was a c-section back then, 6 weeks for a normal delivery. It's disgraceful. All the women I worked with who delivered babies spent the first month or so back looking like hell and bursting into tears if anyone mentioned the baby.
I figured if my insides fell out I was in the right place, working for an OB/GYN. They had me back to transferring unconscious patients in no time
OMG that's awful

Well I have BIG NEWS!

I became a granny today!

My daughter gave birth to a baby girl, our first grandchild

The baby was born at home after 18 hours of labour, in Isleworth. My daughter was utterly exhausted and a bit 'out of it' but thinks the baby was born at around 1.20pm UK time and approx 3kgs (which she thought was around 6 pounds?). She will be called Amethyst, after the birthstone for February - but I will probably call her Amy or Emmie, which my daughter is fine about.

I was mortified that my daughter chose to deliver her first baby at home, but she is very stubborn and a bit of a bohemian/hippy. (She's kept the placenta, thank goodness not to eat it but is freezing it and will bury it at some point...I've been to one of those at a baby-naming ceremony in Pennsylvania and it was hard to keep my face straight!). Also my daughter is tiny, only about 4ft 10" but needed no stitches or painkillers...she had a 'hypnobirth' where you apparently meditate (and now the NHS has announced it's going to fund a pilot scheme of 800 mothers to deliver by hypnobirth).

When she called me the baby was sleepy and hadn't had her first feed and I think my daughter was struggling with trying to establish the milk supply. Also the baby had to have some oxygen at birth, and possibly swallowed some meconium which worried me, but I think if there was any concern the midwife would have sent the baby to the nearby hospital. No photos yet, I'm dying to see what she looks like but apparently has lots of black hair, dark eyes (like all newborns) and a cone-shaped head

My daughter began her maternity leave on 23rd December, the baby was due on the 9th of Feb but decided to be a late arrival! My daughter plans to return to work after 9 months, if she doesn't then she will need to repay the maternity pay (which I think is paid for six months?)

I would have loved to have been there, but sadly my daughter's partner says that they need to 'bond' as a family unit before they want visitors (they're in a 1-bedroomed flat) and want to be on their own for a week or two at least (he has no contact at all with his own family and is only about 4 years younger than me, which makes for an uncomfortable atmosphere). I'll fly to the UK in a couple of weeks or so....spouse is also leaving Singapore to work in Switzerland in the Summer, so I will also meet up with him and go for a look-see in the Zurich area too.

Oh, and it's my son's girlfriend's birthday today too! I'll open up a bottle of Bolly tonight
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:44 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
OMG that's awful

Well I have BIG NEWS!

I became a granny today!

The baby was born at home after 18 hours of labour, in Isleworth. My daughter was utterly exhausted and a bit 'out of it' but thinks the baby was born at around 1.20pm UK time and approx 3kgs (which she thought was around 6 pounds?). She will be called Amethyst, after the birthstone for February - but I will probably call her Amy or Emmie, which my daughter is fine about.

I was mortified that my daughter chose to deliver her first baby at home, but she is very stubborn and a bit of a bohemian/hippy. (She's kept the placenta, thank goodness not to eat it but is freezing it and will bury it at some point...I've been to one of those at a baby-naming ceremony in Pennsylvania and it was hard to keep my face straight!). Also my daughter is tiny, only about 4ft 10" but needed no stitches or painkillers...she had a 'hypnobirth' where you apparently meditate (and now the NHS has announced it's going to fund a pilot scheme of 800 mothers to deliver by hypnobirth).

When she called me the baby was sleepy and hadn't had her first feed and I think my daughter was struggling with trying to establish the milk supply. Also the baby had to have some oxygen at birth, and possibly swallowed some meconium which worried me, but I think if there was any concern the midwife would have sent the baby to the nearby hospital. No photos yet, I'm dying to see what she looks like but apparently has lots of black hair, dark eyes (like all newborns) and a cone-shaped head

My daughter began her maternity leave on 23rd December, the baby was due on the 9th of Feb but decided to be a late arrival! My daughter plans to return to work after 9 months, if she doesn't then she will need to repay the maternity pay (which I think is paid for six months?)

I would have loved to have been there, but sadly my daughter's partner says that they need to 'bond' as a family unit before they want visitors (they're in a 1-bedroomed flat) and want to be on their own for a week or two at least (he has no contact at all with his own family and is only about 4 years younger than me, which makes for an uncomfortable atmosphere). I'll fly to the UK in a couple of weeks or so....spouse is also leaving Singapore to work in Switzerland in the Summer, so I will also meet up with him and go for a look-see in the Zurich area too.

Oh, and it's my son's girlfriend's birthday today too! I'll open up a bottle of Bolly tonight
Congratulations Grandma Sounds like your daughter did a great job.
My Mom didn't get to see our guys till they were 3 months old, and I was well and truly established as Mum, her choice not mine, I'd have loved her to be here for the whole thing. Hope you get to see the little one soon.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow I just checked and that first fare Windermere to Runcorn has gone up to almost 50 QUID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/
£13.50 if you go on February 30th

OK, if you book in advance it is £13.50 roundtrip.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Englishmum - Congratulations on becoming a grandma!! You are going to love it. I am sure you will be making plenty of trips back to the UK now!!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Liverpool to London round trip by train £15.85
It's like being a kid in a sweet shop, its so cheap!

Last edited by cheers; Feb 22nd 2011 at 1:58 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Stop stalking me soft lad ha ha!!!

Noooooo in Australia we wash our clothes in COLD water and have detergents formulated for this, I wonder why they don't in the UK? Saves energy AND money. Do you wash in cold or hot water in the USA??
Both....depending on the fabric and/or stains. I would mostly cold.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:42 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by cheers
Liverpool to London round trip by train £15.85
It like being a kid in a sweet shop its so cheap!
Where are you finding these fares?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

OMG that's awful

Well I have BIG NEWS!

I became a granny today!

Congrats.....how wonderful! When my niece and her husband moved back to London (both British born) she had four kids at home under water in bath. tiny little mom no problems at all. Very brave I say.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Where are you finding these fares?
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

To get the very best fare you buy maybe 30 days in advance and then you have to grow up to get a senior card.

There are various types of discount cards so you might find one that applies.
Like everything else when you get use to the website it is easy to find what you are looking for.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Mummy thats sad but it doesn't surprise me at all, its all about the Dollar going in the rich mans pockets, we are just numbers and nobody cares.

And they said slavery was abolished, I think slavery is well and truly alive in the USA, look at what's happening around us right now, its the start of even more change and control by the rich.

Guilt, many of us understand that, In my previous job they'd always try to make me feel guilty for taking my two weeks holiday...
FnC, I totally agree with you about slavery being alive and well in the U.S. It just looks different from years ago but it is the same thing.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 3:22 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

OMG that's awful

Well I have BIG NEWS!

I became a granny today!

Wow! Congrats EM, I know you are excited. I have a 10-year-old grandson, and it changes your life. So much fun! Are you going to live in Switzerland permanently?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:47 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

We used to go on the private hire coaches to all the carnivals to compete in the Morris dancing when I was a kid. I've never heard of it being called a Charabanc before. I used to go out on the coach for the day with my grandmothers too, I think to get me out from under my mothers feet.
Here our lot, I'm in there too I had a lot of fun traveling about the north on a coach with this lot.
Attachment 99042
How cute, I had forgotten all about Morris dancing, my younger sister used to do it too. Yeah we always used to say Charra, I think coaches was a posh word.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:48 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by windsong
FnC, I totally agree with you about slavery being alive and well in the U.S. It just looks different from years ago but it is the same thing.
Sort of makes you feel close to the Good earth Documentary doesn't it. Dig a hole deliver the baby and strap it to your back so you can get back to picking the veg.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:49 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

How cute, I had forgotten all about Morris dancing, my younger sister used to do it too. Yeah we always used to say Charra, I think coaches was a posh word.
Then we were the posh Welsh morris dancers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.