Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dontheturner
My Wife and I are returning to the same practice, we left, four years ago. They have a web site, so once registered, you can book appointments, on line. However, if you need a home visit, you can ring, between 8.30 and 9am, and book one. The Doctor, comes to your home, after 12.30 - usually in their lunch hour, unless emergency, in which case you ring anytime. Evenings, the call is handled, by an emergency doctor - ( They take it in turns) Oh! and the Doctor will use your first name, if you prefer. dontheturner
Not long now, Don
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by windsong
Not long now, Don
Hi Denise - Cannot wait now, but Tim still has most of the week to go at College, on the Oil massage course - I was the ''Patient'' yesterday, fifteen females to one!- but everyone was so friendly.Only 13 sleeps - Get the final, Hospital massage tomorrow! Love dontheturner.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:02 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Well fancy that BCF! Welcome, whereabouts in Geordieland? I'm from South Shields, I must say I sort of envy you going back to the northeast, however, hubby-to-be landed a great job down in Kent so that's where I'm headed...So There...

We're looking at early June for getting married, just want a small simple ceremony, going back March 31 so that gives us two months to get organized. Travelling by sea might be the best idea for your dog plus I understand you can take heaps more baggage that way. I came to Canada by ship and it was quite an experience! Keep us posted on how you're progressing eh?
OK we have been friends on here long enough now , lets hear it for the romantic tale of how you met up with your infant school friend and will be getting married this year LOL!!.

I have the Kleenex ready.........
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:02 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Denise - Cannot wait now, but Tim still has most of the week to go at College, on the Oil massage course - I was the ''Patient'' yesterday, fifteen females to one!- but everyone was so friendly.Only 13 sleeps - Get the final, Hospital massage tomorrow! Love dontheturner.
The mind boggles!!!
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
The mind boggles!!!
Barb, Mine WAS boggling - I can assure you. Had I have known beforehand, I might have bottled out. Love Don
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Glad he is okay Sally, I was very niave about this when we moved here, I thought Doctors would come the house here. I had three young children and my girls have bad lungs, when one got pneumonia and it was a weekend, I was shocked we had to take her to emergency room.......made many a visit to ER since, but yes very lucky in the UK with regard to that.
Hi charleygirl,
Yes I think we are lucky in UK to still be getting home visits from the Doctors, but I think the reason that this still goes on here in UK is this ---- in UK people are still treated as a real live person that needs care, unlike the US where long ago people became just another number, hense the number system, getting away from hospitals and doctors offices --- think about the American authoritys mentality, all the way down the list you can go from the DMV, to the Welfare office, to the Social Security office, to some post offices that are so busy where you have to take a number from the machine and line up, Im sure there are other examples that people still living in US can think of, but you get the picture, the US is really big on the number systym, --- you walk through the door as a real live flesh and blood human being with feelings and then ----- all of a sudden you are transformed just like magic into just a number
So far in the 9 weeks I have been back in the UK i have taken care of a lot of things that you need to do when you start living here again especially after a long time away, lots of different government buildings, but so far I can confidently say that I have not yet been asked or directed by people or signs ----- to take a freaking number and sit down,
Even a simple thing like opening a bank account in the US --- try doing that without a social security number, and also without at least two kinds of photo I.D.
I walked into the Lloyds bank here and said I wanted to open up a new checking account, told them I have been living in America for past 36 years but now Ive returned home for good to retire,
All I had to produce was My British Passport, and something like a letter sent to me with my current UK address on, my national insurance number was not asked for --- or any other number either, you see we are still people over here, Im not used to this, this is compleatly unchartered territory for me,
And I love being a person again and not just a (NUMBER)
Even when I registered at the Doctors office they just asked my name, no I.D. at all was asked for, and all they asked for was a letter from either government or a business with my name on it with my current address on it,
(NO NUMBERS)
I love it !!!!
Take care ya all,
Rodney.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help it Rod.....123. See if you don't like numbers why did you include them in your handle I know its an American thing.

I was thinking where, other than the places you mentioned, do we have to take a number? In the deli, take a number, in the dry cleaners, take a number.

One thing that was a shock to me is being lumped together with all the other foreigners from the third world countries. A foreigner is a foreigner I guess. You are no different than the people from Bagladesh, Ethiopia or any other place. You see all people are welcome into the US as long as they are a source of cheap labor.

So Rod how many times have you had to tell your story since you have been back? You know, where are you from? I tell people in the US that I have lived here longer than they have, which is true in nearly all cases. In your case you can say I'm from Portsmouth where are you from?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Barbara,

Maybe its a blessing in disguise by not being offered a job yet. I was thinking this way you are not restricted to the Greater London area. I mean thats not really England is it? Besides you have an assignment of going back to the Lake District to set it up for us all to follow.

1. Frome
2. Shrewsbury
3. The Lake District

See we are looking for a continues party when we get back

Cheers
Old Feb 7th 2011, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just so you know;
gabgoeshome 39
sallysimons 47
Ldyinlv Jackie 53

Betweentwoworlds 54
wawa vivian 55
DDL Denise 56
Beedubya Barbara 57

Windsong Sally 58
Jasper 123 Rod 65
Celticspirit 67

Islandwoman Rosie 61
Bluenose Ray 72
Cheers 73
Dontheturner Don 82

BTW tina

These are some of our ages. Any others?? Any corrections?

Last edited by cheers; Feb 7th 2011 at 6:30 pm. Reason: updated
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
You see all people are welcome into the US as long as they are a source of cheap labor.
Very True Cheers, thats the dirty little secret they dont want you to know.

I used to watch Bill Moyers on PBS, he had plenty on this subject.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Just so you know;

Ldyinlv Jackie 53
Betweentwoworlds 54
Beedubya Barbara 57

Windsong Sally 58
Jasper 123 Rod 65
Celticspirit 67

Bluenose Ray 72
Cheers 73
Dontheturner Don 82

DDL Denise
BTW tina
Islandwoman Rosie

I am 39 lol,but with the challenges many of you face, as my DH is 52 !
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Just so you know;

Ldyinlv Jackie 53
Betweentwoworlds 54
Beedubya Barbara 57

Windsong Sally 58
Jasper 123 Rod 65
Celticspirit 67

Bluenose Ray 72
Cheers 73
Dontheturner Don 82

DDL Denise
BTW tina
Islandwoman Rosie

Wawa (Vivien) age 55
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

gabgoeshome indiana 39 2011/12
ldyinlv jackie lincolnshire 53 January 2011
betweentwoworlds 54
wawa vivian toronto 55 unknown
Beedubya bee sidney 57
Windsong sally US 58
jasper123 rod Portsmouth 65 November 2010
celticspirit 67
bluenose ray 72
cheers us 73 unknown
dontheturner don thailand 82 February 2011
Islandwoman rosie Frome 2010
DDL denise London 2010
btw tina france
fishnchips US
eastener scotland 2010
donarovin scotland

Last edited by cheers; Feb 7th 2011 at 5:37 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Barbara,

Maybe its a blessing in disguise by not being offered a job yet. I was thinking this way you are not restricted to the Greater London area. I mean thats not really England is it? Besides you have an assignment of going back to the Lake District to set it up for us all to follow.

1. Frome
2. Shrewsbury
3. The Lake District

See we are looking for a continues party when we get back

Cheers
I see Frome is at the top of your rave up list! I'll get working on the party shall I? Any food requests?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Just so you know;

Ldyinlv Jackie 53
Betweentwoworlds 54
Beedubya Barbara 57

Windsong Sally 58
Jasper 123 Rod 65
Celticspirit 67

Bluenose Ray 72
Cheers 73
Dontheturner Don 82

DDL Denise
BTW tina
Islandwoman Rosie

Nosey parker - mine is 61. Six plus one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.