Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Tyrone
Just read this on another site - FYI

Hi All, So interesting to read all the posts by people who are a a few years ahead of us....or not I hope! We have lodged our visa application for NZ and are awaiting a reply. Who knows how things will work out but we obviously hope we love it in NZ and settle for life....but who knows.

All i'll say regarding the UK, especially in the N.E (i'm from Stokesley nr Middlesbrough) is things have changed dramatically in the past 2 years. The economy is in a real mess and will be for some time. Jobs are very hard to come by (unemployment is currently at 2.5M nationally and 10% in the N.E. this will only get worse with large scale redundancies in the public sector planned for 2011. Inflation is at 3.7% and the R.P.I is 4.8% including fuel prices, so prices are increasing, jobs are hard to find and salary's/hours are been reduced in an effort to save jobs!

One thing to watch if you are returning to the UK is house prices, they are falling quickly and are anticipated to fall by 10% to 20% in the next 18 months depending who you listen to. I have and a large number of other people are selling, banking the money and renting. Also, interest rates are expected to start going up from this summer which are foretasted to increase the average UK mortgage by £1K per month.

VAT has just been increased to 20% and the top rate of income tax has been raised to 50%. If you add the increases in tax, interest rates and consumable prices (fuel has gone up 10p per ltr in a month) and add to the mix difficulties in job retention and a decline in salary's it doesn't paint a bright future. Many economists are predicting a tough economic climate for the next 20 years!!

So, all I will say is think long and hard about returning to the UK, get as much information on the UK as you possibly can, in fact treat it like a foreign country you haven't visited before because in many many ways it is!

lastly have a look at the adverse weather condition we've encountered here in the last two years, again those are predicted to continue.

However, i'll wish you all the very best of luck with your decision and I hope it works out for you and your family whatever you decide.

GOOD LUCK!
Are you planning to return to the UK or are you already there?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tyrone
.... good on ya!
Interesting comment from you - I did NOT write this article as I stated when I copied it into FYI section - the lady who did this morning on another site was moving from UK to NZ from where she stated she lived -maybe it hit a nerve for all with a wake up call! I for one like to get to the honest and real world updates as it helps me prepare for my return and not live in la la land.

Good evening to all.
I was going to say you didn't actually write that - but you failed to put it in quotes which is why people assumed they were your comments

That being said the person who wrote it has written it with an eye on making their decision to move to NZ a good one. Most of us won't be impacted by the 50% tax hike being considered - it is for very high salaries - over 150,000 I believe. Also the person in question comes from the North East - which has different economic issues to the south east say - that is apparent by the comment re house prices - falling in the north East maybe - but who knows what they are doing elsewhere - some reports indicate that the south east could see a rise in house prices come this Spring.

Nothing wrong with the person writing what they did - and I know there are issues in the UK at present (just as there are here in the US) - but it needs to be read in the context of what the person wants to achieve - and they want to justify a move to NZ.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
OMG I just got done wathcing that...that Still call Australia home song had me balling, and I dont even live there..lol
I watched Oprah too and especially with a daughter and grandkids for you Barb,it must be soooooo difficult. As you know I was in Australia last October. We thought Adelaide was very British and could not have met nicer people. So different from the USA. We just loved it. Sydney on the other hand was not at all like I had expected. We stayed in the CBD and it seemed somewhat Asian and rather unfriendly. I could see myself settled in Adelaide easily. Of course only eight days so hard to say but it felt very like "home".
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
DDL. I have now lived in the US 4 years longer than I did in the UK. but I think for a lot of British people the Queen is a ship that has set a steady course for England and its people for 58 years. She has always in my opinion represented our country superbly both at home and abroad. Her life has been dedicated to serving her country and it surely cannot have been easy. Prime Ministers come and go, political parties change but she is a constant. I love America but proud to be British and proud she is our Queen..Also in a more simplistic way - she's just always been there and it can be a comforting sort of feeling..Can't really explain it..
I feel exactly the same....you expressed it so well. I spent my first 28 years of life in Northern Ireland and the next 38 here.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

I KNOW!!! I just went and had a liquid lunch with some of my girlfriends..alot of tears shed by all.. 4 sleeps....wow only 35 for you..are you packed yet????
Jackie.....please stay on touch. It feels like losing a best friend already......
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Jackie.....please stay on touch. It feels like losing a best friend already......
Thank you celtic, of course I will keep in touch..you are all my friends and support group..
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
DDL. I have now lived in the US 4 years longer than I did in the UK. but I think for a lot of British people the Queen is a ship that has set a steady course for England and its people for 58 years. She has always in my opinion represented our country superbly both at home and abroad. Her life has been dedicated to serving her country and it surely cannot have been easy. Prime Ministers come and go, political parties change but she is a constant. I love America but proud to be British and proud she is our Queen..Also in a more simplistic way - she's just always been there and it can be a comforting sort of feeling..Can't really explain it..
I couldn't have said it better myself. The Queen is a stabilising factor in the UK. Many people don't always claim to be a Royalist - but they also would defend the Queen very vocally if needed!!

I love her and was very impressed when she came to NYC last Summer and went to the WTC on one of the hottest, stickiest days of the year and was so quietly dignified as she honoured those who lost their lives. Many people who saw her said she didn't look as if she broke a sweat at all!! A fantastic represntative for our country IMHO.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

black swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant future

OMG that is so good..
Do you still have those flowers called sour sobs, (I think thats it) we used to pick them and suck on the stalks when I was a kid, we lived in Elizabeth Grove.
Do you also remember the hills covered in purple flowers called 'Salvation Jane'? I believe it saved the cattle in years gone by when there was a drought. In other States it is known as 'Paterson's Curse' as it is a prolific weed.
Both Sour Sobs & Salvation Jane cover the hills in yellow & purple & look lovely but are a nuisence to farmers.

I live in the West but looking forward to returning to Adelaide soon. If we did not have family here we would certainly return to the UK after 37yrs. Not much to do in retirement years here in Oz unless you like (or can afford) cruises.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by black swan
Do you also remember the hills covered in purple flowers called 'Salvation Jane'? I believe it saved the cattle in years gone by when there was a drought. In other States it is known as 'Paterson's Curse' as it is a prolific weed.
Both Sour Sobs & Salvation Jane cover the hills in yellow & purple & look lovely but are a nuisence to farmers.

I live in the West but looking forward to returning to Adelaide soon. If we did not have family here we would certainly return to the UK after 37yrs. Not much to do in retirement years here in Oz unless you like (or can afford) cruises.
WoW..thanks, I knew i hadnt imagined sour sobs..i remember as kids we would suck them..I can almost still taste them...funny what you remember huh?..
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:21 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney: I know you said you had been getting your social security for the past 3 years paid by direct deposit into your US bank. Did you have any trouble getting that changed, and paid into your UK bank? Was it difficult making the change, and do they take the tax out in the US? Or do you have to file an IRS form?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:50 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by black swan

Oh Patersons Curse is quite a prolific weed here in New South Wales too, it is so pretty but like you say the farmers curse.

You are dead right about the retirement years unless you like sitting on the beach in the sun..................NOT!

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 22nd 2011 at 3:54 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:53 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I watched Oprah too and especially with a daughter and grandkids for you Barb,it must be soooooo difficult. As you know I was in Australia last October. We thought Adelaide was very British and could not have met nicer people. So different from the USA. We just loved it. Sydney on the other hand was not at all like I had expected. We stayed in the CBD and it seemed somewhat Asian and rather unfriendly. I could see myself settled in Adelaide easily. Of course only eight days so hard to say but it felt very like "home".
You know I have never been to Adelaide!! I had heard it was very boring!! Ah well too late for holidays now, maybe another time........

Yes Sydney can be very unfriendly just like most big cities I suppose and you would have noticed the ever growing Asian (Chinese/Korean/Japanese/Singaporean) population. I forgot that in England when you say Asia you mean India and Pakistan.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
OMG ---- Tyrone you certainly paint a real bad picture of UK my friend, its all doom and gloom in your eyes isent it almost makes me sorry that I came home 7 weeks ago ----- NOT !!! Oh will I be happy will I be sad kay sarah sarah
Put a steak on the barbie and have a nice scooner of beer, and just take life as it comes, lighten up a little, your going to give yourself a heart attack,
YOU MY FRIEND JUST re - enforces my beleif that Brits just dont know how good they got it,
Well Im here and Im here to stay, Ive seen how a lot of other countries live including down under and I choose the good old United Kingdom,
Take care,
Rodney.
Well Said Rodney, we see it much different to Tyrone, maybe NZ is the place to be at least for some.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

It was a joke DDL chill out!!!
I'm not getting in the middle of this one oh No!.

But as my Mum used to say to me, "Many a true word spoken in Jest".

Im just saying, and I will leave it at that.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think the Queen deserves a medal ... perhaps she should award herself one at the next Queen's Honours ceremony.

Can you imagine anyone else of her age working as hard as she does - and always being in the public eye. Whatever you think of the monarchy she has to get credit for doing a bloody hard job.
Id Totally agree with that Dunroving, and she didn't have much choice in the matter, I know some dislike her but I have a lot of respect for her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.