Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Don't you find that pretty amazing Sally? That the government GAVE them money to buy a car? I mean I have no idea of what people get in the same circumstances in Australia but I cannot believe they are GIVEN a car or a monetary allowance.

I know I am pretty amazed when I keep hearing these little stories of the things that are thought to be quite commonplace here. And it is all told so matter of factly to me while I sit there gobsmacked!!!
That's it! I am going to try to be qualified as disabled lol!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:37 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
It's Saturday night as I type this and we've had a lovely day. It was beautiful - sunny and dry!

We got up early this morning and drove to Westfield, a huge mall in Shepherd's Bush. I absolutely hate clothes shopping - but I need new clothes as I've lost (and am still losing) a good bit of weight since moving back to England and my clothes are beginning to look baggy!

Anyway, it's a beautiful mall, we got there nice and early, and I picked up several pieces of clothing from the really nice M&S there.

Tony (a man who LOVES shopping, has the wardrobe of a King, and NEVER pays full price for ANYTHING) got a beautiful Jeff Banks herringbone wool winter coat for next year. Cost: £125...but he got it on sale for £36.50!!!!!!!! He wears Big & Tall and he's ALWAYS finding bargains like that. Really ticks me off.

We only spent a couple of hours at the mall, then headed over to East Sheen to visit Tony's son, daughter-in-law, and grandson. Had a great visit. Chatted over cups of tea, walked to the local park, browsed along the High Street, then wandered back home through an area of beautiful mews cottages.

After that, we did our weekly Tesco shop (yawn) - then came home and watched Ireland beat the **** out of England at the Rugby. (But England has still won Six Nations, overall, on points.)

Tomorrow - another great weather forecast - I'm going to try and talk him into us going down to Polesdon Lacey: http://bit.ly/36tZhO

And next week-end, we're down in Devon for 3 days (we're both taking Monday off work) to visit Castle Drogo and A la Ronde. We expect to have a newborn grandchild (in Plymouth) by then, so we'll probably also pop by there for a visit.

We have two 4-day bank holiday week-ends in April and are trying to decide where to go/what to do. We also have tickets in April to this and this

And that's just us getting started. So much to see and do ... exactly what we came back for!

Sounds like a great weekend DDL. Do you put the weight loss down to having no car of your own? I do find I am walking a lot more here, even if only to the local shops, as I have no car so have no choice if I need something.

Jeff Banks has a great bedding range, I have my eye on a duvet cover and runner in a local T.J. Hughes here.......so well done Tony on the coat.

I feel like I have come out of a kind of fog this last week as before that I was just SOOOO tired and kind of out of sorts. My head is all over the place as to where to work/live. I am putting the airline job in London to the back of my head as it seems it will be going on for many months ahead.

If I am offered the local job I went for an interview for on Thursday I will not take it as I don't want to live around these parts, so am now looking at Manchester airport or Liverpool city centre. I may have already written this but honestly that Rightmove has done my head in today, it's soooo addictive, I have been all over the country today - I started off looking at sheltered housing this morning in the Wirral and ended up looking at furnished flats in Liverpool central..........aaarrggghhhhhhh
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I very much liked this one. Look at the street view. Will anyone split the rent with me.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29034661.html
Gosh, Cheers, it's lovely! I love those stone fireplaces.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
I'm all for helping people who are truly in need, so please don't take this the wrong way, but the government didn't give them the money to buy a car .... me and my family - and you and your family - who live and work here in the UK gave them the money to buy that car!!!
Oh no, I'm not taking it the wrong way at all DDL. The working people here I find are quite accepting that this is the norm.........whilst newcomers like us are gobsmacked because we have never heard of the like.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:52 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a great weekend DDL. Do you put the weight loss down to having no car of your own? I do find I am walking a lot more here, even if only to the local shops, as I have no car so have no choice if I need something.
I definitely put it down to being more active, not necessarily the car thing. We lived in South Carolina where it was just so hot and humid most of the year you just didn't go out and about at all. We do much more walking over here.

But I also put it down to the food, as well. We seem to be eating less at home. Maybe once we get our own place and I start actually cooking/baking again, it will change, but for now, we eat quick, easy stuff - soup, salads, frozen entrees that are smaller portions.

Seven years ago, when I first married Tony and moved over here for 18 months, the same thing happened: I lost loads of weight. (Weight that needed to be lost!)

I feel very healthy now, much healthier than I felt back in Charleston.

But of course, I've lost my perpetual tan.

I feel like I have come out of a kind of fog this last week as before that I was just SOOOO tired and kind of out of sorts. My head is all over the place as to where to work/live. I am putting the airline job in London to the back of my head as it seems it will be going on for many months ahead.
Good grief, girl, give yourself time. You've just got back! All the emotions, etc., not to mention the physical aspect of the move. How long can you realistically hold out before you absolutely have to start back to work? If you can, I'd try to give yourself a few more weeks (2-3) of down time. You've been through a lot. Give you mind and your body time to adjust.

If I am offered the local job I went for an interview for on Thursday I will not take it as I don't want to live around these parts, so am now looking at Manchester airport or Liverpool city centre.
I can't speak for Liverpool (never been there), but I love Manchester. (Just sent you a PM.)

I may have already written this but honestly that Rightmove has done my head in today, it's soooo addictive, I have been all over the country today - I started off looking at sheltered housing this morning in the Wirral and ended up looking at furnished flats in Liverpool central..........aaarrggghhhhhhh
ha ha I know what you mean. I could spend hours on that website as well! But you've got such a great advantage ... you can really go anywhere you want. How many people in this world would want to be in your shoes, eh?!

You've got a blank canvas in front of you, a brand new set of paints, and I for one can't WAIT to see the beautiful portrait of your NEW LIFE that you are about to start painting!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:56 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

I very much liked this one. Look at the street view. Will anyone split the rent with me.

Absolutely perfect! I wish I COULD move there and split the rent with you.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I think my reply was lost but I wanted to comment on the government supplied car program. Someone I know in Liverpool who was born with no arms, due to a drug screw up, and she when she was old enough was given a specially equipped car that she could drive. The last time I saw her she was a supervisor at her place of work. I got to love a country that allows people to live normal life with some help. I maybe wrong but I think in the US she would probably be given social security and never be able to get a job.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:06 pm
Home Sweet Home

I have to tell you something about my mother after telling you about all the freebies she is now getting.

She REALLY is entitled. She worked full time up until pension time at 60 I think it is for women?? Then she worked 3 days a week part time at the local markets until she was 75 when she had to pack it in because it was too cold for her.

I would like to thank my mother for giving me and (some of) my siblings for giving us her work ethic.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hey I gota have this one. Hey Foothills, you are the only one who lives in California so will you buy me a lottery ticket? I'll split the money with you!
You also Fulwood. Your Arizona Mega lottery is up to $244 million which is too much. No lotteries in this state fortunately.

Last edited by cheers; Mar 19th 2011 at 11:16 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Bee, I know you like Wales and some others want access to transportation as a requirement so how about this one in a small town.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-18253233.html
Now you're in my territory, about 15 minutes from my Mum. Nice small town, not much there, they are talking about putting in a Tesco which will kill the other shops. Theres a lovely tea shop on the side of the bridge. I think they still have market day I liked going for that. It's also very Welsh, so work could be hard to come by unless you are bilingual.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

I think my reply was lost but I wanted to comment on the government supplied car program. Someone I know in Liverpool who was born with no arms, due to a drug screw up, and she when she was old enough was given a specially equipped car that she could drive. The last time I saw her she was a supervisor at her place of work. I got to love a country that allows people to live normal life with some help. I maybe wrong but I think in the US she would probably be given social security and never be able to get a job.
That was probably Thalidomide Cheers.

A drug was given to women who had morning sickness in the 1960's that had horrific side effects with loss of limbs.

My mum was offered it when pregnant with my sister, but luckily she said no.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Gorgeous and right in the middle of the land of my fathers.

I bet there is no work around there though. Not unless you want to work in the slate quarries like my paternal ancestors.
Just about all the slate quarrying is closed. Llanrwst is more sheep farmer territory. I never did go for those farm boys smelly beggers.

Heres one for you, small village, my friend and her Dh moved there. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-31925891.html Looks like the bathroom needs a do over.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:21 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Now you're in my territory, about 15 minutes from my Mum. Nice small town, not much there, they are talking about putting in a Tesco which will kill the other shops. Theres a lovely tea shop on the side of the bridge. I think they still have market day I liked going for that. It's also very Welsh, so work could be hard to come by unless you are bilingual.
I'm not although my dad's family according to the censuses didn't even speak English.

I tried to teach myself and my sister went to college to try to learn as she wanted to live and work in sheltered housing in Wales and this was a requirement, we somehow thought it would be in our DNA.............NOT as it turns out LOL!!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Hey I gota have this one. Hey Foothills, you are the only one who lives in California so will you buy me a lottery ticket? I'll split the money with you!
You also Fulwood. Your Arizona Mega lottery is up to $244 million which is too much. No lotteries in this state fortunately.
I got my ticket for tonight already, I smell a winner, No way I'm going back out in that wind and rain for another one, it's a 20 minutes or more drive to town I live in the boonies
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

I'm not although my dad's family according to the censuses didn't even speak English.

I tried to teach myself and my sister went to college to try to learn as she wanted to live and work in sheltered housing in Wales and this was a requirement, we somehow thought it would be in our DNA.............NOT as it turns out LOL!!
My Welsh is atrocious, but I remember bits. I was refused a job one time as a nurse as I didn't speak Welsh, never mind I was born and raised in the town I was living in. Funny part, my patients would have been unconscious and all the doctors were from India I had enough Welsh to get them out of the recovery room back to the wards no problem Silly woman!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.