Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:33 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

PEIGI/ED So sorry to hear about your hubby, but he is in the best place where somebody can look after him. Good luck with the car you REALLY need one, your travel expenses are crazy!!! I knew trains were expensive over there but £200 a month is robbery!!! I don't think the senior discount kicks in until you are over 60??? Congratulations on the car and the BABY!! Wow number 12, I'm not sure if you have ever mentioned it but seems like you must have a number of kids in Canada, how do they feel about you living back in Scotland?

SENTOSA Have a very safe and quick journey, looking forward to your updates from the other side.

DDL One of my sisters has a Ford Focus, I think they are a really nice car, not too big and not too small, just right. Good luck on the driving lessons, I will really need them too. I know for sure I would fail if I had to do a test!!! You are very brave. How's the job going BTW?

RODNEY
Abu Dhabi is the capital of the United Arab Emirates.

POPPYCAT
What?? You too are leaving this week? Wow that is some migration back to the UK with all us lot turning up!!! I hope your "surprise" party goes well, I don't want any fancy farewells, just to slip quietly away.....

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 19th 2011 at 8:38 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:36 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Just trying to figure it out here:

DON and TIM, leave on 21st, arrive 22nd.

SENTOSA leaves on 21st

POPPYCAT leaves on 22nd, arrives 23rd

I leave on 26th,arrive on 27th

I think I am the only singleton so that makes 5 of us in the one week.

This must be a record for our gang, who is following me?

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 19th 2011 at 8:44 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:42 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Welcome home, Rodney.

I love the different changes in the weather too, Rodney. And I've always liked a rainy day.

"The best kind of rain, of course, is a cozy rain. This is the kind the anonymous medieval poet makes me remember, the rain that falls on a day when you'd just as soon stay in bed a little longer, write letters or read a good book by the fire, take early tea with hot scones and jam and look out the streaked window with complacency." ~Susan Allen Toth, England For All Seasons <----A great book, by the way, by an American writer who loves England
Glad you like your job Denise. Don't worry about the driving, you'll get used to it in no time. Does Tony like his job?
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Well I went and saw the 4 x 4 and it is a lovely vehicle, midnight blue in color, gets 26 miles to the litre, automatic, sun roof etc.. I took it for a test drive, well that was a scary thing to do as I have not driven in the UK or anywhere in the past year and a half since getting here. Still, I really did not do to badly made around two round-abouts without killing anyone, although I think I took away ten years off my friends sons life. If the financing goes through he will deliver it to my flat so that I can drive it for a little while around where I am familiar, before attempting driving to work. I can understand now though why they say that I should only drive an automatic, it would take two much thinking for me to do that right now. Still I felt much safer in a larger vehicle than in a small one, so if goes through I think that will be the one for me, monthly payments with 3 year warranty, insurance will still be less than it is costing me to go to work right now.
I also found out today that I am to be a grandmother again in August, that will be the twelfth.
Ed, are you sure that is the correct petrol comsumption for your motor.
It is the norm in this country to refer to these stats as miles per gallon. That
would be better than a lot of small cars manage. My own car does around
twenty to the gallon , but I suppose wearing lead shoes does not help.
Could not entertain being without a motor,as the quality of my life would drop
completely.Have you been quoted any prices for insurances yet Ed?
I would think they may be pretty steep without NCB, unless you are able to
transfer your Canadian policy to operate over here.
Regards Ray.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Ed, are you sure that is the correct petrol comsumption for your motor.
It is the norm in this country to refer to these stats as miles per gallon. That
would be better than a lot of small cars manage. My own car does around
twenty to the gallon , but I suppose wearing lead shoes does not help.
Could not entertain being without a motor,as the quality of my life would drop
completely.Have you been quoted any prices for insurances yet Ed?
I would think they may be pretty steep without NCB, unless you are able to
transfer your Canadian policy to operate over here.
Regards Ray.
s/be 26 mpg not miles per litre.

Fairly typical for a 4 x 4 turbo diesel (we have a Nissan Frontier Double Cab DX 3 litre turbo diesel stick that does just under overall 30 mpg in fairly congested driving - similar style to Nissan Navara available in UK)
Old Feb 19th 2011, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Location: Back home; in the land of turquoise sea, tin mines and pasties. Bliss.
BritInWI has much to be proud ofBritInWI has much to be proud ofBritInWI has much to be proud ofBritInWI has much to be proud ofBritInWI has much to be proud ofBritInWI has much to be proud ofBritInWI has much to be proud ofBritInWI has much to be proud ofBritInWI has much to be proud ofBritInWI has much to be proud ofBritInWI has much to be proud of

Hello everyone I have been lurking here for a long time and have read every single one of your posts from the very beginning. So I feel as though I know you all and thought it past time I pop in and introduce myself properly...and thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your experiences. They have helped me sort my thoughts so that I can now say "We're going home next year!" Words I've wanted to say for a lo-o-o-ng time!

Someone here (I'm sorry, I don't recall who? Wawa?) said that their bags are packed and sitting by the door, but no one can see them. Mine too. I'll be dragging them up from the basement soon though

I wish all of you who are going home right now Bon Voyage and the very best of good luck. I'm as anxious as everyone else to hear how things are on the other side!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 12:02 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by BritInWI
Hello everyone I have been lurking here for a long time and have read every single one of your posts from the very beginning. So I feel as though I know you all and thought it past time I pop in and introduce myself properly...and thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your experiences. They have helped me sort my thoughts so that I can now say "We're going home next year!" Words I've wanted to say for a lo-o-o-ng time!

Someone here (I'm sorry, I don't recall who? Wawa?) said that their bags are packed and sitting by the door, but no one can see them. Mine too. I'll be dragging them up from the basement soon though

I wish all of you who are going home right now Bon Voyage and the very best of good luck. I'm as anxious as everyone else to hear how things are on the other side!
Welcome to this thread, BritInWI (For those of you outside the US, WI is the State of Wisconsin, which I believe shares a border with one of the Great Lakes and/or Canada?) and is known as the "Dairy State".

Which part of the UK are you heading back to? Who is going with you - or do you have adult children who are staying in the US? We are very nosy on this thread LOL!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInWI

Hi BritInWI good to see you, I also did a lot of reading here before stepping forward. Isn't it amazing to find out there are so many others out there who feel exactly the way you do? Finally making the decision that going back is what you want really does bring a great sense of relief and peace I've found. This next year will pass before you know it - have you been here very long? I suspect you are in Wisconsin (that's not far from me) and I sure know what you mean about the frozen north! Good luck with your plans to go home
Old Feb 20th 2011, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Well Jackie thanks for the update, and very good news that you have a good Doctor who believes that your follow ups should be more frequent,
I havent missed the States at all, and Ive been here almost 3 months now,
I wonder when people refer to the honeymoon period --- have I passed that stage yet I wonder?

Barb, you talk about when you get back home you will be (the real me) well Im sure you (will)be eventually
Me well still I havent got back to the (real me) Im afraid it will be a long road back to that free & easy person I once was, I want to get that same personality back again that I used to have, but I will say that even though that I feel different and definitely much happier, I still have to learn to relax,
I will get there though,

Don & Tim Bon Voyage to you, and good luck Don putting on your trousers in that small loo on the plane, I can just imagine you hopping from one foot to the other
Rodney:

I know what you mean about getting back the real you. I have been thinking about that myself. I have been in the U.S. over 30 years and life moves much faster here. Sometimes it is hard to slow down. I hope I can when I return to the UK - and relax!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 12:38 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome BritinWI. it'll probably tak all year to get rid of stuff and get ready to go home, so sounds well timed
We are supposed to go next year too, then house prices went down the loo and we have to sell first, no idea how long that'll take. We won't get much more than we paid 17 years ago
Old Feb 20th 2011, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
I agree with the Volvo suggestion it has always been my first choice but unfortunately I have to hope that my friends son will be able to get me financing as therefore I have to go with what is available, of course it limits my sights when it has to be a automatic. The travel is costing me a total of £440.00 per month as it costs me £200.00 for the monthly pass on the trains and because of where I live and where my office is from the train staions i have to taxi it back and forth from both, thereore adding another £12.00 per day to the mix. This does not include if I have to go for a big grocery shop or anywhere that a bus or train does not go to and at the endo fo all this I have nothing to show for it.
My goodness! How far do you have to travel to work? 440 pounds is dreadful!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sentosa
Only 2 more sleeps before we fly home, the past few days have been filled with visiting friends and eating out, everyone wants to take us for food.Today will be another long lunch. We no longer have a car that went yesterday. Tomorrow we are going to Orlando to stay with a friend who will take us to the airport on Monday.Then Tuesday morning we will arrive at Gatwick. Safe journey to all you are flying in the next few days I think there are 4 of us .
I am excited for you, Sentosa! Hope you have a safe trip.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
PEIGI/ED So sorry to hear about your hubby, but he is in the best place where somebody can look after him. Good luck with the car you REALLY need one, your travel expenses are crazy!!! I knew trains were expensive over there but £200 a month is robbery!!! I don't think the senior discount kicks in until you are over 60??? Congratulations on the car and the BABY!! Wow number 12, I'm not sure if you have ever mentioned it but seems like you must have a number of kids in Canada, how do they feel about you living back in Scotland?

SENTOSA Have a very safe and quick journey, looking forward to your updates from the other side.

DDL One of my sisters has a Ford Focus, I think they are a really nice car, not too big and not too small, just right. Good luck on the driving lessons, I will really need them too. I know for sure I would fail if I had to do a test!!! You are very brave. How's the job going BTW?

RODNEY
Abu Dhabi is the capital of the United Arab Emirates.

POPPYCAT
What?? You too are leaving this week? Wow that is some migration back to the UK with all us lot turning up!!! I hope your "surprise" party goes well, I don't want any fancy farewells, just to slip quietly away.....
Just how expensive ARE the trains in the UK? What does it cost for a typical train ride?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Sentosa....Safe Journey so many are making their way home in the next few weeks its hard to believe.

BritInWI...Nice to have you here, glad we could be of help. You have seen the struggles we have all gone through and many are still going through it does help to know others are going through the same as you.

Beedubya...I think it is a record, we have never had so many going back in such a short time. Cant wait for you all to post on how its going.
You must be so excited will be thinking of you.

DDL Rodney and the rest who are back home... A silly question but do you feel younger since you returned home.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 12:56 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Sentosa....Safe Journey so many are making their way home in the next few weeks its hard to believe.

BritInWI...Nice to have you here, glad we could be of help. You have seen the struggles we have all gone through and many are still going through it does help to know others are going through the same as you.

Beedubya...I think it is a record, we have never had so many going back in such a short time. Cant wait for you all to post on how its going.
You must be so excited will be thinking of you.

DDL Rodney and the rest who are back home... A silly question but do you feel younger since you returned home.
Thanks TT you KNOW I will be sure to post from over the pond.

I will answer as DDL and Rodney aren't here, you know I felt more ALIVE than I do living here, it's like I am now living a half life and there it is a complete life, so yes it does make you feel younger, I had more of a spring in my step rather than the way I walk now which is sometimes leadenly............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.