Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 4th 2010, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think there are a lot of European cars that have energy-efficient engines and also a high safety record (air bags, crumple zones, etc.). I don't think it's necessary to buy a big gas-guzzler to be safe on the road these days (and the effect of bigger/taller vehicles on pedestrians are catastrophic).
Yes ,I totally take your point about with the effect on pedestrians with larger cars -that would make me nervous in small places .

I guess driving here in Indiana is very different to avoiding villagers in a small Dorset town
Old Dec 4th 2010, 3:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Yes ,I totally take your point about with the effect on pedestrians with larger cars -that would make me nervous in small places .

I guess driving here in Indiana is very different to avoiding villagers in a small Dorset town
Plus, you will NEVER find a parking space at Tesco's in an SUV ...
Old Dec 4th 2010, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with driving here - especially on the freeway (motorway) is that there are some huge trucks (lorries) and in a smaller vehicle it can be very intimidating. I drive a Honda Civic (which in the UK is considered a mid sized car, but here is considered compact - the Honda Fit (Jazz) is considered sub-compact). It can be scary with all those huge trucks around you. I know if I lived in the UK driving a tiny car (such as the Honda Fit/Jazz) probably wouldn't bother me at all, but you don't get 18 wheeler trucks on the roads in the UK - here they are quite common.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
Plus, you will NEVER find a parking space at Tesco's in an SUV ...
LOL
Old Dec 4th 2010, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Derrygal
The problem with driving here - especially on the freeway (motorway) is that there are some huge trucks (lorries) and in a smaller vehicle it can be very intimidating. I drive a Honda Civic (which in the UK is considered a mid sized car, but here is considered compact - the Honda Fit (Jazz) is considered sub-compact). It can be scary with all those huge trucks around you. I know if I lived in the UK driving a tiny car (such as the Honda Fit/Jazz) probably wouldn't bother me at all, but you don't get 18 wheeler trucks on the roads in the UK - here they are quite common.
Yes,this is exactly where my main nerves are coming from I suspect .

Old Dec 4th 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I think that has changed and in the UK they have a lot of these huge 18 wheeler lorries on the motorways on there way to deliver to the mega stores and some on these lorries from what I have read are driven by drivers from the Continent and some of them are driving illegally and are driving and sleeping at the same time if you get my drift.

On the Fit/Jazz. I once responded to a rear end accident that involved a Honda Fit that was hit behind by a Dodge pickup. I couldn't see any damage to the Dodge pickup but the Honda looked like a right off. Pity since it was brand new and hadn't got plates on it yet. The speed limit on this four lane boulevard was either 35 or 40 miles per hour.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 4:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I understand Don but contrary to what you hear many Americans have changed and are driving smaller cars. All area's in the US have recycling and stores promote resuable bags and have large bins by the doors to put old plastic ones in. Some people are very inventive and make all sorts of products from old tins cans and plastic. Its amazing what they do make. In our area we have the large bins and the two others, one for plastic and glass and one for paper.
Our home runs along a river (if you ever want to buy it) we are not allowed to cut down tree's running along side the river without the towns permission. To burn tree limbs etc. we have to get a burn permit and can only do it certain times of the day. When you get your yearly car check you have to have an ommision test or you dont get your sticker. I do think the US consumes alot of gas but getting to work is not just down the road. My husband use to trave over 60miles a day some of the people he worked with spent 2hours on the road just to get to work.
Yes we have Smog checks every two years it also makes sure the vehicle doesn't spew out lots of pollution as well as be road worthy (our county is exempt no idea why) recycling is pretty much the same as in UK, separate wheely bins for garbage and recyclables and another for garden waste. We have no garbage pick up (Dh's choice) but we recycle everything and he takes it all separated to the local dump (re cycle center) and only a few bags of real rubbish once a month. Food waste was all fed to the chickens until the last one died recently so now we are thinking on a compost pile. We have burn days and no burn days for burning yard waste, no rubbish can be burnt any more. Even using fireplaces and wood burning stoves have no burn days.
I drive a mid size car, anything too small and I wouldn't stand a chance against all these huge pick up trucks around here, my little Toyota corolla was written off when someone pulled out across the path of my car when Ds was driving, and after than Dh wouldn't get another small car here, so mid size it is.
The US does use a lot of resources but it's also a massive country. Around here more and more people are putting in solar electric and loads have had solar hot water forever.
With smart meters I can see when we use more power and do something about it, so far we are doing really well and staying under the norm for usage.
Dh commutes 50 miles each way 4 days a week. he pays out an average of $70 a week in petrol. We couldn't afford to live where he works and the schools aren't as good and the gang activity put us right off, so he commutes.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

LOL
You could just move all the small cars over I have driven a large Suburban 4x4 until we got the small KIA, still would love to have another. I always felt so very safe driving it, especially on freeways, going skiing in the mountains, etc. I know it is not good for the enviroment, but what a joy to drive.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
You could just move all the small cars over I have driven a large Suburban 4x4 until we got the small KIA, still would love to have another. I always felt so very safe driving it, especially on freeways, going skiing in the mountains, etc. I know it is not good for the enviroment, but what a joy to drive.
We also had a Suburban when my children were young. We would pack them, the dog and cat and everything else we needed and head down to our lake house at weekends. I just loved that SUV. Very safe for everyone.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
If Rodney is anything like me, a new laptop can be confusing to get up and running how you want. The replacement I have just purchased is a new operating system and i am finding many frustrations.

But maybe a new thread would be ''Waiting for Rodney".

Looking forward to hearing how he has been faring

You got that right Gold Coast, some people make it sound easy but for me (self taught) its not easy at all, we used to get back up discs included now we have to make our own, its not something you want to screw up, even coping DVDs and Cds is a project where as it used to be so straight forward, I just wish the young designers of today would make simpler things for us older people to use, computers still baffle me, always a new Program, the world is spinning faster it seems...

Welcome Gold Coast Mag...
Old Dec 4th 2010, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
You got that right Gold Coast, some people make it sound easy but for me (self taught) its not easy at all, we used to get back up discs included now we have to make our own, its not something you want to screw up, even coping DVDs and Cds is a project where as it used to be so straight forward, I just wish the young designers of today would make simpler things for us older people to use, computers still baffle me, always a new Program, the world is spinning faster it seems...

I like that new thread idea )) We ought ot have a new thread for each individual as they move back so we can track them, learn about the adjustment, etc. Excellent idea!
Old Dec 4th 2010, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I like that new thread idea )) We ought to have a new thread for each individual as they move back so we can track them, learn about the adjustment, etc. Excellent idea!
Old Dec 4th 2010, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry for the double post. I don't know how that happened. I was only correcting a typo.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I traded in my Volvo S60 about 4 months ago. I really liked it, except it was a bit low to the ground, and it used the more expensive gas. When I lifted the hood and looked inside though, it said the transmission was made in Japan, and the car was actually assembled in Belgium!
Hello Mallory.
I suppose I should have said the Swedish know how to design and engineer cars as cars are built just about anywhere, one of my Brother in laws Mercedes was made in South Africa of all places.

Parts made in other countries doesn't surprise me at all most cars have parts from all over the World, for instance the American Ford Mustangs transmission is made in France.

Low to the ground is a problem as we get older, that's why I'm still a fan of Minivans (people carriers) and small SUV's like the CRV and Rav4, slide your bottom right in.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hello Mallory.
I suppose I should have said the Swedish know how to design and engineer cars as cars are built just about anywhere, one of my Brother in laws Mercedes was made in South Africa of all places.

Parts made in other countries doesn't surprise me at all most cars have parts from all over the World, for instance the American Ford Mustangs transmission is made in France.

Low to the ground is a problem as we get older, that's why I'm still a fan of Minivans (people carriers) and small SUV's like the CRV and Rav4, slide your bottom right in.
The European equivalent (whatever the names might be) of the CRV and RAV4 are on my list for my next vehicle. I am currently driving a Toyota Camry - my fourth one. The one I have now is almost 15 years old. Had it since it was new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.