Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:57 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Mallory, if this was a thread about leaving England, people would naturally be complaining about the things they don't like about that country.

Some of us are stuck here in the US and don't like it very much anymore. We can't talk to our spouses or friends about it for various reasons, so we come here to be with people who understand our frustration.

I don't see why our unhappiness with America has any impact on trottytrue's husband or anyone else who loves it here. It's just our opinion nothing more - and I appreciate having a place I can come to express my feelings without being scolded, a place where like-minded people offered support.

I don't mind at all when people tell me they love this country - I'm happy for them and enjoy hearing their opinions. But I don't and I won't pretend otherwise - I do enough of that in real life.
I am uncomfortable too with the feeling of censorship. Where we have to watch what we say for fear of offending somebody.........as long as we are not posting outrageously inflammatory views about politics, religion or sex then surely we should be able to air our own personal viewpoints? Isn't that what a forum is about?

It is hard enough to live your life as a "pretence" surely we should be able to let our hair down and let it all out on here..........
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:58 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Maybe I missed the posting but David arrived two hours ago.

Who's next?
Do you have proof?
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Do you have proof?

Check here

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA854
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

We had a near miss accident at a junction here, someone drove right through a give way sign and just missed us, we were in an Autobianchi Y10, we would have been as protected as sardines in a tin. We have decided to stick with our old Volvo.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you check the 'Squawks' box on this link? There is a story too good to miss, about the blonde lady in a wheelchair at the Oklahoma airport - dressed only in black underwear and pearls! She was hoping to avoid an indecent pat down, such as she had recently been subjected to. But that did not work - it was captured on a UTube video.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...=feeds-newsxml
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAT M
We had a near miss accident at a junction here, someone drove right through a give way sign and just missed us, we were in an Autobianchi Y10, we would have been as protected as sardines in a tin. We have decided to stick with our old Volvo.
I used to drive an old Volvo when I lived in the UK years ago - loved that car, it took me places I would not have considered going in another car, and had a great turning circle too. Sold to a Volvo Owners Club member when I needed a newer car for work.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:38 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Did you check the 'Squawks' box on this link? [/url]
On the theme of odd news stories, here is the news from England http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/we...n-snowman.html
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I have never driven a Saab in my life but I have driven a Volvo which was a Hertz car rental. I was disappointed because I had heard such great things about them.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Did you check the 'Squawks' box on this link? There is a story too good to miss, about the blonde lady in a wheelchair at the Oklahoma airport - dressed only in black underwear and pearls! She was hoping to avoid an indecent pat down, such as she had recently been subjected to. But that did not work - it was captured on a UTube video.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...=feeds-newsxml
Things are getting out of hand when they think a semi nude woman is hiding something
There was one on another site I go to, they saw the womans name as a passenger as she passes through on business often, they detained her and had her miss her flight home as she pumps milk for her infant while she's away, and wanted it screened separately following TSA guidlines,which she always carried with her. The police man who came to speak to her told her she was held because she annoyed the TSA coming through frequently so they were waiting for her she was held an hour
Another was a 10 year old in a wheelchair, she is physically and mentally disabled trauma survivor with a helper dog of some sort,they separated her, her parents and dog and have re traumatized her and she now has been set way back in her therapy. http://inciid.blogspot.com/2010/08/t...-child-at.html
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 3:52 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Things are getting out of hand when they think a semi nude woman is hiding something
There was one on another site I go to, they saw the womans name as a passenger as she passes through on business often, they detained her and had her miss her flight home as she pumps milk for her infant while she's away, and wanted it screened separately following TSA guidlines,which she always carried with her. The police man who came to speak to her told her she was held because she annoyed the TSA coming through frequently so they were waiting for her she was held an hour
Another was a 10 year old in a wheelchair, she is physically and mentally disabled trauma survivor with a helper dog of some sort,they separated her, her parents and dog and have re traumatized her and she now has been set way back in her therapy. http://inciid.blogspot.com/2010/08/t...-child-at.html
My impression and experience is there is a tendency by some TSA towards vindictiveness, intimidation and over-stretching of the rules in an abuse of power and exercising of their personal will over the traveling public.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.J
On the theme of odd news stories, here is the news from England http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/we...n-snowman.html
I loved this one - posted it on my Facebook page. Unreal the lengths people will go to. Poor snowman, missing in action - complete with teaspoons.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by PAT M
Was it dark blue Pat? Perhaps it was my niece, but from the style of driving sounds more like she lent it to her mum (my SIL). Hope you got over the shock, I have had enough of accidents lately!

Joan
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
Unbelievable!!!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I have never driven a Saab in my life but I have driven a Volvo which was a Hertz car rental. I was disappointed because I had heard such great things about them.
My daughter drives a Volvo - she love it and feels very safe in it - takes my two little grandchildren all over the place in it.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Just checking in from Caterham, Surrey here.
Great flight over with no problems. We arrived about 30 minutes late due to a holding pattern over London.
Our friend was unable to meet us as her sister arrived from New Zealand 2 1/2 hours before us and they only had one snow free car to pick up people because they had left a car on the main road which had been cleared. We ended up taking the Gatwick Express bus from Heathrow to Gatwick (National Express) 21 pounds each. I am sure it would have been cheaper if we had booked on line before but we had no idea of which route we would be taking until we arrived. We were then picked up at Gatwick where the roads had been cleared and were back in about 30 minutes.

Not much snow at Heathrow but by the time we got to the Reigate exit or thereabouts on the M25 it was more snow than I remember seeing in England for years. It was very beautiful to look at.

The high point was turning into our friend's road and seeing all the neighbors out shoveling snow and guiding us into a cleared spot and then our friend bringing out a tray of hot mince pies and all the neighbors having one.
We were here by 3:15 pm local time which was pretty good considering the conditions.
Had an early dinner with wine and am about to have an early night also.
Great to be here and can't wait to get out tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.