Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I know it snows everywhere in the UK, but at this time is is Sooo inconvenient. You know the saying - everything happens for a reason, so I will just bide my time and find out what the reason is for me not going on the train trip when I planned to. Next week....
Yes it does snow sometimes, but I believe last year was the first time in a long time that it had snowed in Somerset to any extent, most people were shocked by it!!

Looks like they had snowfall last night Rosie, but no more forecast:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-11896256
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
WOW, I just looked at the BBC site..the snow is unbelievable. They showed one town in Lincolnshire finally got a truck to deliver Milk and stuff, they hadnt had any in 3 days. That concerns me as that is where my parents live..
Jackie
I am sure they will be fine Jackie. Can you phone them? They are probably making a snowman as we speak. Joke.

Actually I just saw the video clip you must have seen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11894853

It's a reet old mess, hope David and his partner get home OK, is anybody tracking them?

Barb

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 2nd 2010 at 8:25 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:18 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I know it snows everywhere in the UK
It rarely snows much in Kendal

(Just getting in another plug for my favorite town)
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, I just looked at the BBC site..the snow is unbelievable. They showed one town in Lincolnshire finally got a truck to deliver Milk and stuff, they hadnt had any in 3 days. That concerns me as that is where my parents live..
Jackie
I also looked at the BBC site. Unbelievable really. I don't remember the name of the lady who is going back to Omagh.....if you go to the Northern Ireland section, there is a photo of the frozen river that runs through the town. There doesn't seem to be so much snow in NI but it is very cold.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I am sure they will be fine Jackie. Can you phone them? They are probably making a snowman as we speak. Joke.

Actually I just saw the video clip you must have seen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11894853

It's a reet old mess, hope David and his partner get home OK, is anybody tracking them?

Barb
I spoke to them on here this morning, they are fine, staying in and staying warm. I just worry about my Mom as she has a bad hip, dont want her slipping and falling..I told her not to go out..
Jackie
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:32 pm
Home Sweet Home

I spoke to them on here this morning, they are fine, staying in and staying warm. I just worry about my Mom as she has a bad hip, dont want her slipping and falling..I told her not to go out..
Jackie
When I worked in Frome, a lot of the elderly didn't go out if they didn't have a car, they relied on neighbours to get them things from the shops or would get home deliveries. My mum is the same, my family drop off stuff to her as needed.

I have to say I was a bit scared too as the place I lived/worked was at the top of a hill, so I used to get a taxi to and from the shops as if I fell and broke a bone I would have been in a right pickle living down there on my own!!

I had forgotten all this stuff about snow and ice of course, so when the snow thaws a little in the day say and then it is bitterly cold overnight then it turns into ice, then the nice powdery snow falls on top of it, it's like a deadly combination!!! Of course all you people living in cold climates know this but that was another thing I had to re-learn.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I think Davids flight is AC854 and it is leaving on time.

Last edited by cheers; Dec 2nd 2010 at 11:22 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked in Frome,
What is your opinion of Frome?
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked in Frome, a lot of the elderly didn't go out if they didn't have a car, they relied on neighbours to get them things from the shops or would get home deliveries. My mum is the same, my family drop off stuff to her as needed.

I have to say I was a bit scared too as the place I lived/worked was at the top of a hill, so I used to get a taxi to and from the shops as if I fell and broke a bone I would have been in a right pickle living down there on my own!!

I had forgotten all this stuff about snow and ice of course, so when the snow thaws a little in the day say and then it is bitterly cold overnight then it turns into ice, then the nice powdery snow falls on top of it, it's like a deadly combination!!! Of course all you people living in cold climates know this but that was another thing I had to re-learn.
Well you are all right to worry about slips and falls and broken bones. I am concerned about where I am currently staying, as it is at the top of a steep hill and that is the only way to the downtown and the station, and buses. And no one has cleared the steps, despite having a community box of salt next to the top step. I had a right moan about the fact that everyone seems to wait for someone else to do jobs here, no one takes the initiative, and frankly, they are too townified. So today saw one of the neighbour men helping my friend clear her path, and put down salt from the community box, then along came another neighbour to complain that the salt was for everyone, not for private use. What a load of moaners. I had told them about the states, where (at least in Wisconsin and Minnesota where I lived) you had to clear your paths and sidewalks within 24 hours of a one inch snowfall, and that the neighbourbood would band together to clear the area, not wait for a paid council person to do it - especially in snow like we just had, which makes it difficult for everyone to get around. I also told about alternate side parking, and about the plow being able to work if that were done, and not have parked vehicles blocking the streets on both sides like happens here. There are some good things I learned in the States - being resourceful is one that comes to mind. But the plow never gets this far up the hill I am told, so they will have to wait for the snow to melt a bit before driving through about 8 inches on the street. I am now going to check on the trains for tomorrow, but I am not holding my breath about that one. I have no idea how HighTide will get to Caterham - no other way to travel than by the train through Purley. Hope they stay in the Heathrow hotel for a couple of nights, or head on down to Devon - the Paddington trains are running fine.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck David (Hightide) Cheers what time does it leave or has it left yet?

had an email from Sue HighSpeedGrandma, new peeps wont know Sue but she left for Hong Kong to see her daughter then is flying to the UK, left hubby behind in the States and she is going to UK in January to see how it all is, with a veiw to moving back. She will be getting a job hopefully and staying with her other daughter.

yes I wonder how Denise2 and Tony are doing.......hope they are okay.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
So far this is on time.
I'm getting in on the action with this flight too - I actually bookmarked the website! What have you all done to me - I am becoming a cyber stalker too...
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Good Luck David (Hightide) Cheers what time does it leave or has it left yet?
Davids flight leaves at 6:15pm Pacific time or as it stands now, 45"

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...index.html#698

Cheers
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
This a live webcam of Rochester with a lot of snow.

http://www.medway.gov.uk/transportan...ts/webcam.aspx

Check this one out of lots of snow in Edinburgh

http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/camera.cfm?camera=1
Gosh, that is a lot for Britain - but it's typical for Midwest USA in the winter.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I'm getting in on the action with this flight too - I actually bookmarked the website! What have you all done to me - I am becoming a cyber stalker too...
I am trying to keep ALL the links in my bookmarks. If I go back home, I need them all
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I recall hearing that a carport is better than a garage for that reason yes.
Now I know why some of my neighbors keep their garage doors open sometimes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.