Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Wikiposts

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Oct 13th 2010, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
High Tide, that place is adorable - is it for sale? I love that it says it was built to look like a ship.

Charleygirl, I love your updates. You sound so happy and before, I hope you don't mind my saying, you always sounded a little sad. It's obvious this trip has been a tonic for you.

Mummy, I'll have to look out for that B&B show. It sounds fun. I'm obsessed with 'Come Dine with Me' and actually saw an episode 'live' when we were in the UK. Usually I just wait and download from The Box.
It is for sale ......you should find the listing by just googling Minadab Cottage.

Also love "Come Dine With Me"...great entertainment.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by charleygirl
High Tide, congrats!
Cheers rodney is going to Portsmouth, ( just in case you missed the question Rodney!
Rodney, you must be getting quite excited anxious nervous all those things!
I know you will be fine, 3 weeks has gone for me already but it has been great.
been shopping in M&S, kinda expensive but love the clothes, treated myself to a lovely blouse and skirt!
Went to the pub ( again) last night to watch the England game, actually able to walk there which I love, had a lovely pint of lager, cheese and bacon burger with fries very nice 10 quid for two of us. I like that there is no smoking in the pubs must admit. Felt clean and healthy in there.
Weather is good........
Thanks Charleygirl..................sounds like you are really enjoying being home. Loving your posts and the food descriptions. Have quite the visuals of all that great grub you have been having since being back home.
Oh for some cheese & onion crisps.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
And those roads are very tight with tall hedges.
Remember them well..........Will have to get used to driving on them again.
They used to say that if you drive on those country lanes in Devon you can drive anywhere.
I remember when I was really young a cow coming towards us in a Mini in a narrow country lane. The cow ran up into the hedge and almost landed on top of us.:
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HighTide
Remember them well..........Will have to get used to driving on them again.
They used to say that if you drive on those country lanes in Devon you can drive anywhere.
I remember when I was really young a cow coming towards us in a Mini in a narrow country lane. The cow ran up into the hedge and almost landed on top of us.:
Just reread my post and it sounds as though the cow was driving the Mini.....
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Just reread my post and it sounds as though the cow was driving the Mini.....
hahahhaaaa I hadn't pictured that...
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:35 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

Some things are a lot cheaper. Cable's cheaper. The phone bill's cheaper. Internet's cheaper. Electric's not. Heating is about the same, but it's not as cold here.
Some of this depends where you live. There is no one cost for utilities in the US - every state is different. And just my luck, I live in pretty much the most expensive of them all! (In a draughty old house) I know how much my friends and family pay for utilities and to say I would save money is an understatement. But for someone in say, Ohio, living in a new house, the situation could be the complete opposite.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I Just got my 6 month renewal car insurance rate from my insurance company, it went up by $22 per month, so its now ($162) per month that I pay for my car insurance, all I have is a small Huandi accent, 2004, and I never claimed, no accidents,
So I called them up and asked why the increase and they said that its cause I turned 65 this year, so I said so what, and they said that the insurance industry feels that as you get older your reflexes are not so sharp and so more risk of having an accident, and the older I get the more the increase will
be, Folks I pay almost $2,000 per year for car insurance over in US, for just regular full coverage, nothing fancy,
I called my Mum yesterday --- my usual weekly call, and I metioned the increase and she said that they dont do that over in UK when you get older,

So this is just another way that we are totaly screwed over here, and her car insurance is so cheap over there compared with what I am paying,

So we can add this to health insurance/health care and all the other ways we are being screwed over here,
Rodney.
PS of course next month when I sell my car I will cancel my insurance but I was Just making a point thats all,

Last edited by jasper123; Oct 13th 2010 at 8:43 am. Reason: add words
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know they allowed cows to ride in Minis
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

I didn't know they allowed cows to ride in Minis
Only in Devon ya know
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rod,
By coincidence I also got my renewal for my car and mine went down to $73.75 per month. This is for a 2010 Mazda.

Now for the rest of the story.

I think in Nevada they charge more because people who get tickets have the tickets fixed so they don't go on their records. I think its a racket! You pay less than the normal fine, you don't get it on your record and the city gets the money from the uncontested negotiated fine.

I pay less maybe because the insurance company also has my homeowners insurance so it gets discounted. (why are we so poor with all these discounts)
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Rod,
By coincidence I also got my renewal for my car and mine went down to $73.75 per month. This is for a 2010 Mazda.

Now for the rest of the story.

I think in Nevada they charge more because people who get tickets have the tickets fixed so they don't go on their records. I think its a racket! You pay less than the normal fine, you don't get it on your record and the city gets the money from the uncontested negotiated fine.

I pay less maybe because the insurance company also has my homeowners insurance so it gets discounted. (why are we so poor with all these discounts)
Hi cheers,
My policy even at that high price is discounted cause I also have apartment rental insurance with this company, but that $162 per month is for the car insurance alone,
I think Las Vegas is probably the highest car insurance cost in the nation, the companies told me before the reason for this is that there are so many accidents here, well thats true I know, but why do all the careful drivers have to suffer because of all these drunk drivers on the roads and all these teenagers driving and texting at the same time,
Rodney.
PS in Reno 500 miles down the road in the same state of Nevada my same car and year would be less then half of what I pay here, I suppose cause its a smaller town and fewer cars and so fewer accidents,
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

It is for sale ......you should find the listing by just googling Minadab Cottage.

Also love "Come Dine With Me"...great entertainment.
and the price is............£399,950 or $633,050 in real money Not bad. I wonder if they will take a check? I notice they have some private swimming pools on that street. The cheek! Getting like Beverly Hills it is.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Ive said for a long time that I think we are Insurance poor in this country, not just for healthcare, have a look at everything we insure, from home and medical to car and cancelling your vacation, we live in a fear based economy and it shows.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

My son who lives in LV told me recently that in LV there are 'no rules'

he also told me the expression "I don't care" "I don't care" "I don't care"

=reason for high rates.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

and the price is............£399,950 or $633,050 in real money Not bad. I wonder if they will take a check? I notice they have some private swimming pools on that street. The cheek! Getting like Beverly Hills it is.
Well I suppose if you consider that there selling a going concern/business not Just the property then if one can put down a ssignificantdeposit and able to get the mortgage it would not be a bad investment really, and it also takes care of the room/aaccommodationfor the couple that buys it,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.