Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Taffy Duck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Hello Katey70 and welcome..don't be shy to post here we are all friends trying to help each other...this is a wonderful thread...

Anna..the dreaded passport thing...when UPS delivered mine at the door I had to sign for it ...he asked me twice if I was the person, I guess for security reasons...maybe you should call UPS to see what the procedure is if one is absent you might have to drop a letter off with authorization..don't know for sure but a think it would be prudent...sorry to throw some more worry your way...best of luck on your trip home, hope you get a first class seat out of Atlanta.....

cheers...Taffy
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Taffy Duck
Hello Katey70 and welcome..don't be shy to post here we are all friends trying to help each other...this is a wonderful thread...

Anna..the dreaded passport thing...when UPS delivered mine at the door I had to sign for it ...he asked me twice if I was the person, I guess for security reasons...maybe you should call UPS to see what the procedure is if one is absent you might have to drop a letter off with authorization..don't know for sure but a think it would be prudent...sorry to throw some more worry your way...best of luck on your trip home, hope you get a first class seat out of Atlanta.....

cheers...Taffy
Thanks Taffy, I did wonder about that. However, when they returned my rejected form and passport I was out of town and I asked my neighbour to keep an eye open for me. UPS gave it to her without any problem. Just in case though, I will go to in tomorrow and check if there is anything I need to do. I am getting sooooooo frustrated now, I am leaving this country with a bitter taste in my mouth. In January everything was going smoothly according to plan (apart from the house not selling), and since then it all seems to be going downhill
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Warm Sunday welcome to Catherine and Stewart..wer'e getting to be a big family all of a sudden

I was just thinking about them all sitting down to their Sunday roast with mashed, two veg, gravy and roast spuds and just the Sunday atmoshphere in England that is irreplaceable..aaaah..only two more weeks and 2 days to go

I must be in food mood..made a bread pudding this week.... as Tony Hancock would ask..did it have sugar sprinkled on top?...Yes it did!

Anna...what was your friends secret to getting "upped" to first class..how did she do that?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Warm Sunday welcome to Catherine and Stewart..wer'e getting to be a big family all of a sudden

I was just thinking about them all sitting down to their Sunday roast with mashed, two veg, gravy and roast spuds and just the Sunday atmoshphere in England that is irreplaceable..aaaah..only two more weeks and 2 days to go

I must be in food mood..made a bread pudding this week.... as Tony Hancock would ask..did it have sugar sprinkled on top?...Yes it did!

Anna...what was your friends secret to getting "upped" to first class..how did she do that?
She just smiles sweetly when she checks in at the gate, doesn't wait till the last minute, asks is coach very full, then asks if there is any chance of an upgrade as she has so much work to do. Then she sits close enough for them to see her. She makes sure they know she is on her own, and she dresses very well, loses all trace of her US accent, wears her pearls!!!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to our thread Catherine & Stewart we are all down to earth friends here so just talk away ----- we all want to know about you, You have been in Canada a very long time, it sure beats my little 36 years out here, I started out with 3 years in Vancouver Canada then left there to come here, and now 33 years in USA, Im going back to UK this November for good, I will be retired when I get there,
Any way Take care,
Rodney.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Anna,
Well just 3 days to go, Lets hope your Passport arrives in the mail Tomorrow Monday, wouldn't that be nice,
I read what you said about as you were going to different places like the store where you live and saying that well this will be the last time I go there, and I thought I will get the same feeling too as most do I suppose, but how about when you take your last drive in your car just before you hand it over to the new owners, we do get attached to our cars --- but with most people they just buy another ---- but in our case we realise that we probably wont have another car for quite sometime and for some of us never again,
Yes Anna I am going to take your advice and start selling my stuff real soon like furniture & things, just keep my two recliner set so I will have something comfortable to sit on until I take off, and a few days before I leave Vegas my friend here is going to pick them up and take them back to his house, Im giving them to him, hes been a great friend to me over the years, I will sure miss him,
Try not to stress out too much Anna before you leave, I know you have a lot on your mind and making sure you have done everything is the hardest thing really, --- Questiion you said that you are going to pack your suitcase and see if you can get everything in it, and then you said you were going to weigh it to see if it stays under the required max weight the airlines allow before they charge extra, --- I have always wondered how do you go about weighing it? do you take the packed suitcase somewhere that have scales?
Take care Anna, and I prey that you have a safe and comfortable flight,
Rodney.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Rodney

I stepped on my scales and weighed myself then with the bag and did the math...if you dont have a scale maybe your friend has one
Old Mar 21st 2010, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Rodney

I stepped on my scales and weighed myself then with the bag and did the math...if you dont have a scale maybe your friend has one
Hi Eileen,
Yes I never thought of that, well I do have scales that I way myself on in the bathroom so maybe instead of as you say step on the scales as you carry the case, but I suppose you could also just carefully place the suitcase on the small scales and it would probably balance alright wouldn't it,
By the way isn't your flight leaving Canada to take you to UK coming up shortly, arent you leaving just a few days after Anna as I remember, and have you got everything sorted out and are you already to leave?
Rodney.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Anna,
Well just 3 days to go, Lets hope your Passport arrives in the mail Tomorrow Monday, wouldn't that be nice,
I read what you said about as you were going to different places like the store where you live and saying that well this will be the last time I go there, and I thought I will get the same feeling too as most do I suppose, but how about when you take your last drive in your car just before you hand it over to the new owners, we do get attached to our cars --- but with most people they just buy another ---- but in our case we realise that we probably wont have another car for quite sometime and for some of us never again,
Yes Anna I am going to take your advice and start selling my stuff real soon like furniture & things, just keep my two recliner set so I will have something comfortable to sit on until I take off, and a few days before I leave Vegas my friend here is going to pick them up and take them back to his house, Im giving them to him, hes been a great friend to me over the years, I will sure miss him,
Try not to stress out too much Anna before you leave, I know you have a lot on your mind and making sure you have done everything is the hardest thing really, --- Questiion you said that you are going to pack your suitcase and see if you can get everything in it, and then you said you were going to weigh it to see if it stays under the required max weight the airlines allow before they charge extra, --- I have always wondered how do you go about weighing it? do you take the packed suitcase somewhere that have scales?
Take care Anna, and I prey that you have a safe and comfortable flight,
Rodney.
Thanks Rodney for the good wishes. Yes, almost time now. I have spent most of today looking at the piles of stuff I thought I would pack in my suitcase, and deciding they are way too heavy! Now I am sorting them out again and leaving more with my boys (that way I know I haven't lost it completely, well not yet anyway!!). I have made two big boxes of items that will remind them of their family history, also a bag each of things I think they can use now (CDs eg) and another box for my one son who lives close enough he can use the things at home before he goes to University - such as kitchen utensils, soap, etc. It is really so hard to part with all this. You may want to pack away somethings now that you THINK you will be taking with you. Put them somewhere you can't see them, see if you really miss them. If not, come November you may decide you don't want to take them after all! The hardest part is thinking what is left behind may have to be replaced at some point, and that seems like you are spending money twice. So I feel I am not letting go 100 percent yet!! I may have to repack on Wednesday right before I board the aircraft!!! The weight isn't that difficult for me. If I can't pick up the suitcase, then I know it is too heavy!!!! Otherwise, put it on a pair of bathroom scales.

Yes, I am still hopeful my passport will come tomorrow. Another busy day, people coming to take my washer and dryer, my stove, my bed, my car (to another location for selling), my TV - and the list goes on!!!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Barbara, I really do appreciate you help on this, Id never even considered such an issue...

I still have a 5 trunks that I built 20 years ago, Ive moved them from home to home with me since my return in 1990, I sure hope I can still use them or all that effort will have been wasted, They take up lots of space in my garage, they made the trip back n forth really well where as a steel snap on tool box got bent up believe it or not, it was covered in cardboard but really got hammered...

I will look into this issue more and go from there, I dont fancy using just cardboard boxes, they dont seem sturdy for heavy items, then again every thing made today comes in cardboard.

I thank you and I wish you well, I know this is a tough time for you, Phil
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Wow Barbara, I really do appreciate you help on this, Id never even considered such an issue...

I still have a 5 trunks that I built 20 years ago, Ive moved them from home to home with me since my return in 1990, I sure hope I can still use them or all that effort will have been wasted, They take up lots of space in my garage, they made the trip back n forth really well where as a steel snap on tool box got bent up believe it or not, it was covered in cardboard but really got hammered...

I will look into this issue more and go from there, I dont fancy using just cardboard boxes, they dont seem sturdy for heavy items, then again every thing made today comes in cardboard.

I thank you and I wish you well, I know this is a tough time for you, Phil
When I used my stuff it was recommended that I use the plastic 3 or 4 cut ft containers you can buy. Here in the US from Staples, or Walmart - which I ended up with as they were slightly cheaper. I had only 2 cardboard boxes (the double layered ones for shipping) and 8 plastic. Will let you know how they fared, they arrive at my sister's tomorrow!!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks AES1 thats appreciated.

Good luck, all this crazy stuff will soon be in your rear view mirror.

We all will be thinking of YOU... You know thats a fact.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hello Rod.

Its amazing what good info can be found when you ask isn't it, I reckon your DVD problems are over.

Well I never considered myself a hoarded before, although I do see your point, I just hate to throw away stuff that we use and need on a daily basis when we will need to buy brand new to replace it in the UK, clothes, dinner plates, cutlery, music, dvds etc of course some personal things are irreplaceable.

I consider myself a bit thrifty but not tight, I usually shop hard for good things that will last, sometimes I wish I could carry all I need in a bag and not worry about the crap we accumulate over the years, people buy you stuff then its hard to part with it, ornaments etc, we still use the dinner service that was bought for us at out wedding 30 years ago, there's nothing wrong with it so why chuck it out, and yes we have newer plates too, we get too attached to things I suppose.

I will still have to throw/donate lots of things before I leave no matter what, we cant take everything.

I recognized all the tunes and artists you mentioned, Music is my passion too, it always makes me feel good.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scales...

We used to do the bathroom scale thing, its a bit of a pain, we recently bought a small portable digital scale and its very accurate, cost $20 from a sporting good store, I imagine luggage stores would sell them too and I know you can buy them online, we figured it was cheaper than paying for extra weight, so far its worked out great.
You clip a strap around the suitcase handle and lift, it remembers the weight after you have put the bag back down, It works for lbs and Kg's, a handy item, easy to pack, weighs almost nothing.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks PCmacallum, (Chris)

The money expert site is great, its good to be informed about decoding, the DVD price info is very good, you can find the lowest prices on DVDs worldwide and have them shipped to the UK and still save money, I was impressed, why pay full price ???

A big Hello and Welcome to all new posters, you will get an education here for sure, maybe you will educate us too, we are all in the same boat, Ive never felt so normal in all my years as when I met people here that feel like I do, It feels good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.