Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:35 pm
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by dunroving
Do you mean NI payments? You don't have to backpay anything to be eligible for NHS treatment.
Sorry about that, I meant NI payments, I had worked for a little while before emigrating to Aust in 1976. I read earlier that the rules are about to change in April with regard to qualifying years but other than that I know very little, so any advice would be helpful
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:48 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Hi I love Devon, do you rent there? are the rents very expensive?When we get home we might take a trip to the sw of england and have a look
cheers Denise
Denise, you MUST visit down here it is really lovely. One of the nicest places we drove through when I moved down here was The Cotswolds. It was like a dream, we had got lost with my brothers Sat Nav and ended up all over the place, anyways the day was getting later and the sun had that orangey kind of end of day glow and the villages we passed through..........sigh..........just like a picture postcard they were. I am looking for some kind of coach trip to see a bit more down here before I finally leave......
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:50 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Sorry about that, I meant NI payments, I had worked for a little while before emigrating to Aust in 1976. I read earlier that the rules are about to change in April with regard to qualifying years but other than that I know very little, so any advice would be helpful
I don't know the in and outs, but it's going to be less years you have to have the stamps for. I "think" 30 years for both sexes, before I think it was more like 40 for men. I'm sure somebody on here will know the cold hard facts though
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I don't know the in and outs, but it's going to be less years you have to have the stamps for. I "think" 30 years for both sexes, before I think it was more like 40 for men. I'm sure somebody on here will know the cold hard facts though
30 years is correct. I think up to 6 years back payments of Class 2 contributions can be made.

Full details and FAQs etc here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nic/
Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Denise, you will love the SW of England, Dorset is lovely as is Wiltshire. If you play golf (OH does not me) Rushmore at Tollard Royal is just beautiful.
When you go home will you be going to the North or South? I haven't been to the South since I was 16 (now58), I went to Bray on holidays. There I was on my very first independent holiday and I ran into one of the nuns from my former boarding school in England Sr Angela was not one bit impressed with the sight of me - the feeling was mutual. Probably your bedtime now
Hi again, we will be staying with both my daughters for a little while until we decide where we want to stay, so we will stay with my daughter in the north for a couple of weeks, and then to my other daughter in cork, but I am not sure I want to stay back in the north, that was the reason for me asking about Devon. I too remember going to bray when I was young, I think that was the holiday destination for most people from the north, no continental holidays in those days, and I don't envy you running into the nun from your school, I know ours always seemed to make you feel guilty even when you had done nothing wrong I think my hubby and I are looking for somewhere were it will be easier for us to see our family, yet still be able to travel and the mainland to europe is so much easier than Ireland,and a lot cheaper, but I would have to look at rentals. Some of the villages are just beautiful in England, and I just love the village pubs there, will definately look into it as an option, I really want to keep all options open and be as sure as I can before unpacking all my stuff again, really fed up packing and unpacking, and paying removal companiesI am really hoping wherever we settle will be our last move
Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Denise, you MUST visit down here it is really lovely. One of the nicest places we drove through when I moved down here was The Cotswolds. It was like a dream, we had got lost with my brothers Sat Nav and ended up all over the place, anyways the day was getting later and the sun had that orangey kind of end of day glow and the villages we passed through..........sigh..........just like a picture postcard they were. I am looking for some kind of coach trip to see a bit more down here before I finally leave......
Hi B and thank you, yes I would love to see all round that area, it looks beautiful. Did you find the rentals expensive in that area? It sounds perfect, and yet my kids could get over to see me and vice versa, very resonably and we would have great access to europe as well, so the best of both worlds if it is affordable.I hope all goes well with your move, I know it is very hard being pulled in two, I feel the same, this is the result of our itchy feet, and wanting to travel, it does come back to haunt you dose'nt it?? The years just slip by and before you know it the kids have grown and settled, and I think when the nest is empty, and you stop working, thats when discontent sets in, I think thats what happened to my husband and I, we were so used to being busy, now I feel a little bemused to be honest, so have promised myself when we do settle, its golf, travel, and getting involved with the community as much as possible
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a safe flight and enjoy the BA inflight service All our very best wishes for reuniting with your family here in Aust. There is always a positive side. Someone once said to me that we are lucky to have known two countries and to be able to travel to both. I suppose that is true. Anyway B when those grandchildren give you a big cuddle nothing else will matter and remember you can have a little holiday sometime again - just look at Quoll kicking her heels up You never know who will be sitting on the plane next to you...maybe that nice kind... well you know
Mrs Sully,
Very well said,
Barb I too wish you well, have a nice flight and you will soon be with your grandkids and family again, and I know they have all missed you and cant wait for you to come back to them,
Good luck on the millionaire, hope you find him
Rodney.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:27 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by jasper123
Mrs Sully,
Very well said,
Barb I too wish you well, have a nice flight and you will soon be with your grandkids and family again, and I know they have all missed you and cant wait for you to come back to them,
Good luck on the millionaire, hope you find him
Rodney.
Thanks Rodney, any Las Vegas millionaires you know please send them my way

Well I just put a big ad on eBay to sell my stuff, so fingers crossed, hopefully somebody just starting out will buy my job lot.

If any of you returning to the South of England before I leave are interested give me a buzz and I will send you the eBay ad.

I keep amending my ad on the classifieds on the BE site, then have to wait while it is approved as I keep thinking of something else I've forgotten, so it's been up and down like a yo-yo today.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magistrate
Hi everyone, Just wanted to let you know after bemoaning the fact that my house in the US which I have reduced 5 times since last May has at last an offer ,not a great deal but with our financial circumstances here in the UK sorely needed funds to make life a little better.Please send lots of positive thoughts that everything goes ok.
Walked down town yesterday and the sun was warm and daffodils flowering at last .The farmers market had lovely cheeses .proper big pork sausages and juicy bacon rashes and very reasonable prices .
I have no regrets about being back in the UK ,my health is better ,my test result and xrays came back good,phew!! so although hubby and I have downsized our lives big style we both feel glad for everything and never take anything for granted.
Hello Magistrate,
So glad to hear that you have an offer finally on your house, thats great and I do hope the sale goes through for you both, and yes I like lots more people IM sure are sending good vibes your way,
that little bit that you said on you walking down town yesterday and the daffodils and farmers market & proper big pork sausages and juicy bacon rashes, Wow I must say that was inspiring to me, you know little things like that, my flight from the US back to my home in Portsmouth Hampshire is not for a while ---- November 30th but I am so looking forward to getting back after 36 years away, and the good positive little things that you and other people say about UK just enforces the fact in my mind that I am making the right decision in going back ---- and I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that this is what I want to do,
And so glad to hear also that your ex - rays and tests came back good,
Thanks and take care,
Rodney.
PS I am 65 in June, so I will be retired when I come back, if you dont mind me asking how young are you and your husband? and where in the UK are you living?
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mrs Sully,
Yes in April this year the qualifying years for a full UK pension goes down to only 30 years from 44 years for both men & women, UK/Australia/New Zealand and Canada all share the same credits ----- so if you are not entitled to an Australian state pension now ---- all your years that you have lived in Australia (34) years will be added to your few UK working years so you should be eligible for a full British state pension, plus serps too I think which is a top off the UK Government give you to bring you up to a little over poverty level,
Age for retirement is still 60 for a Woman and 65 for a man to get UK state pension, you need to apply for it 2 months before your Birthday, and you can do that from Australia by phone ---- I do have that number for you if you want it, also you can easily request a what they call a (state pension forecast) which gives you a pretty good idea of the amount you should receive, I have already got that myself,
I hope I have been of little help,
Rodney.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 12:29 am
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Mrs Sully,
Yes in April this year the qualifying years for a full UK pension goes down to only 30 years from 44 years for both men & women, UK/Australia/New Zealand and Canada all share the same credits ----- so if you are not entitled to an Australian state pension now ---- all your years that you have lived in Australia (34) years will be added to your few UK working years so you should be eligible for a full British state pension, plus serps too I think which is a top off the UK Government give you to bring you up to a little over poverty level,
Age for retirement is still 60 for a Woman and 65 for a man to get UK state pension, you need to apply for it 2 months before your Birthday, and you can do that from Australia by phone ---- I do have that number for you if you want it, also you can easily request a what they call a (state pension forecast) which gives you a pretty good idea of the amount you should receive, I have already got that myself,
Rodney.
Thank you so much Rodney, that information is so helpful. Please send the number if you can; it's just one step closer. We are so lucky to have people like yourself with all this knowledge and more than that - so generous in passing it on
Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:25 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by magistrate
Hi everyone, Just wanted to let you know after bemoaning the fact that my house in the US which I have reduced 5 times since last May has at last an offer ,not a great deal but with our financial circumstances here in the UK sorely needed funds to make life a little better.Please send lots of positive thoughts that everything goes ok.
Walked down town yesterday and the sun was warm and daffodils flowering at last .The farmers market had lovely cheeses .proper big pork sausages and juicy bacon rashes and very reasonable prices .
I have no regrets about being back in the UK ,my health is better ,my test result and xrays came back good,phew!! so although hubby and I have downsized our lives big style we both feel glad for everything and never take anything for granted.
Thanks for this, it is encorouraging that returnees find happiness, reassurance to those of us still planning our leaps of faith.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Yet another three pages, I can't keep up! Barb, I wish you a happy flight, you know you are doing the right thing, so just sit back and relax! Rodney, thanks for all the useful info, what would we do without you! ED - how is the new job? Everyone else, keep dreaming, wishing and hoping - so happy we have this site. As for me, only two more weeks to go at work, rumors have it that my boss (who hasn't spoken to me since before Christmas) is planning a surprise party the day I leave. Wish she wouldn't as I find that to be very two-faced. I can hardly wait to leave. House still not sold, though I have had a couple of showings this week, so miracles can happen and the cavalry might arrive in time!! I am having an estate moving sale this coming Sat so I will be up at the crack of dawn for those early risers who insist on coming an hour before the allotted time - 7 am means 6 to them!! I can sell everything, I need the money!! Feeling overwhelmed now, doing everything on my own, hope I don't collapse before I get to my flight on 24th. So much to think about, I feel like the rabbit in Alice in Wonderland and a dog chasing its tail all wrapped into one! Also wondering why I decided to do this, even though I know I want to and have to and it's the right thing to do - anyone else get cold feet just before leaving? I am panicking a little because my first British passport renewal application was rejected and I only have 17 days for it to come now. I guess I could enter as an American as I have my US passport and a return ticket (cost a third of the price of a one way!). I think my grey hair is now turning white, and my fingernails have disappeared!
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:50 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

AES- yes, I think cold feet is purely natural and expected. It's such a big move and you know you will have a battle ahead. But, oh the rewards!!!
Fingers crossed that the viewings will find a buyer!
Barb, your grandchildren will be thankful fo your decision. I do hope you meet that millionaire. I, myself, keep waiting for my lottery winnings to roll in. It is so hard to have family in two lands. But, every thing for a reason, even if we dont understand it at the time.
The company I work for just announced plans to expand and to start hiring again...so maybe in some small ways the economy is trying to recover?
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:08 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Sully,
Rodney.
There was an article on NI contributions, pension, and pension forecast in yesterday's Money section of the Sunday Times, specially for people about to retire and wanting to top up NI contributions (or NIC's as they call them). I'm just off to work but maybe some kind person can search the Times online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/) and find it - otherwise it will have to wait until I get home tonight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.