Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old May 26th 2010, 7:51 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think it's 6 months from the blood draw ... which is usually a couple of weeks or so after the rabies shot.
could be
Old May 26th 2010, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes Chris, those words were wonderful, I so hope that Peigi lets everyone here help her in any little way we can,
Especially me because she has been an absolute gem, she has enchoraged me and helped give me the strengh to make this big leap into the unknown,
Like many others on this thread I have been so inspired over all these months by her sheer courage and strengh,
She has never given up, through all her disappointments she just kept on trucking,
Ed I know right now you feel like a big truck has hit you and you feel that you cant go on, that its all too hard, and that no matter what you do and no matter how hard you try nothing seems to work out for you,
But please read all our posts on here, it (will) help you, and let us try and give you the strengh to carry on and you will see that all of a sudden that special Job will reveal itself,
Thinking of you,
You are loved by so many people,
Rodney.

lovely words Rodney. I do hope she reads them.

Take care Chris
Old May 26th 2010, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

I think it's 6 months from the blood draw ... which is usually a couple of weeks or so after the rabies shot.

Hello Dunroving we've not seen you on this thread for a while, how are you doing?
Old May 26th 2010, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Yes our vet said the blood draw would be 4 weeks after the rabies shot and then 6 months after that she's good.
Old May 26th 2010, 8:00 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HighTide
Not knowing when we have to move out of our place due to the purchasers having to sell their house first we decided we really need to be ready to move at least out of here at short notice.
That's exactly what we're trying to do, as well. We're down to a small kitchen table and chairs; 2 easy chairs; our matteress/box spring on the floor; our computers; and a tv! We still have 2 boxes to pack/ship to the UK; 2 boxes of books to pack/ship in an M-bag; and - as soon as my daughter and her boyfriend move out of the efficiency apt. in our backyard and head back to Alaska (June 13) - one more final Yard Sale.

We'd like to soon be at the point where everything in the house is gone except for the barest-of-bare necessities and those things that we will be bringing over in our suitcases.

It will make our last weeks/months here soooo laid back and relaxing to know that all the hard stuff is all BEHIND US. Well, at least on this side of the pond.

Will base ourselves at my sister's in Devon first of all and go from there.
My husband (he's the Brit, I'm the American) (I know, poor chap) was born in London but lived in Plymouth for 20+ years which is where he raised his family and did his degree. He loves Devon [Edited to add: but NOT necessarily Plymouth - sorry, those of you in Plymouth] and although our plans are to settle in the London area, we are not averse - should the right opportunities come along - to settling in Devon. Of course, London salaries are so much higher, but then cost of living runs parallel, as well, so swings and roundabouts. (Did I use that correctly????)

Denise

Last edited by DDL; May 26th 2010 at 8:02 pm.
Old May 26th 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aes1
So, bets are on Rodney??!! What does he have to say??? I am happy you are all enjoying my posts, I enjoy sharing Malta through my eyes with you. I hope in some way I am helping people pass the time before they get on their planes back home. Maybe all expats' flights could be rerouted to have layovers in Malta on the way to the UK from US/Ca/Aus!!! Good luck to everyone by the way, getting closer to leaving - house sales bags packed nerves under control Especially to Sue, who seems to be the next one to leave ? Are you an expert with chopsticks? If not, you soon will be, lucky girl!!

My lesson learned today in Malta: Do not go for a long walk any more after 11 am. It is getting hot here. No wonder everyone is awake and out and about by 7 am, then back home for lunch and siesta. Makes perfect sense. I set off a little later than usual this morning, on a quest to print my updated CV off a computer (no printer at home), thinking I would go to another library branch - the one near me not being open on Wednesdays. When I got there, via the hot, dry and dusty streets in from the Bay - library located in the primary school, I was told they had no computers, and was redirected to the local council building. There they were very helpful but again, no luck, yes to internet access, no to printing capabiities. Last resort, beginning to think I am not supposed to send out another CV, I was redirected to an internet café, which do exist here, but there aren't that many around. In the meantime, I decided to stop for my picnic lunch by the Bay. For the first time I was actually too hot!!! Good thing I wore my hat, this Mediterranean sun is intense! BTW - and I now lay claim to my European side!!! - you can spot the British tourists here a mile away. They are the ones who are either pale as chalk (first day here) or half naked and red as lobsters! Only mad dogs and Englishmen...............Crazy!!! Whereas the Maltese are wearing long sleeved jumpers and walking in the shade! I have always been a shade seeker myself, but now I am also wearing the long sleeves. I noticed today that my feet have a very distinct white V on them from wearing flipflops. A long, hot summer about to begin................
Hi Anna, Well I certainly hope it all works out that I can be your first visitor, but if not a close second anyway, I am already shopping around for the right color of wool, I want a nice shade of green, not too light and not too dark, I am very picky on my greens
Oh and I will definitely bring a nice pair of needles too (:
And there isn't any pressure Anna, I know you wont have much time on your hands, even if it takes several years it dont matter,
I remember once about 20 or so years ago my sister started knitting me a pullover, finally after about 2 years it was completed that was the only one she knitted me ever and I preserve it and cherish it to this very day,
Keep your posts coming Anna, and I am keeping you to your saying that you will give me a sighned free copy of your book/novel when you write it !!!!
Take care,
Rodney.
Old May 26th 2010, 8:10 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DDL
....... He loves Devon [Edited to add: but NOT necessarily Plymouth - sorry, those of you in Plymouth] and although our plans are to settle in the London area, we are not averse - should the right opportunities come along - to settling in Devon. Of course, London salaries are so much higher, but then cost of living runs parallel, as well, so swings and roundabouts. (Did I use that correctly????)
Denise
We have friends in Ivybridge Devon, it is nice location, smallish town with easy access to coast and moors.
Old May 26th 2010, 9:52 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Wow. Wow. Wow. What a great feeling that's going to be for you! Congratulations! I can't wait till the day I can post that same message! We can't even say anything to our employer yet (we both work at the same place) about our plans, since we really don't even have a date. We're living by the "If word gets back to someone here, then we'll talk" but until that point, mum's the word.

We signed on with a realtor last night. There's now a FOR SALE sign in our front yard, and one at the end of the street.

So it begins ....
Denise
Good luck Denise and hubby on the sale of your house. Know everybody on here has their for you.

Barb
Old May 26th 2010, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DDL
It will make our last weeks/months here soooo laid back and relaxing to know that all the hard stuff is all BEHIND US. Well, at least on this side of the pond.

My husband (he's the Brit, I'm the American) (I know, poor chap) was born in London but lived in Plymouth for 20+ years which is where he raised his family and did his degree. He loves Devon [Edited to add: but NOT necessarily Plymouth - sorry, those of you in Plymouth] and although our plans are to settle in the London area, we are not averse - should the right opportunities come along - to settling in Devon. Of course, London salaries are so much higher, but then cost of living runs parallel, as well, so swings and roundabouts. (Did I use that correctly????)

Denise
Devon certainly is a beautiful county having so many diverse areas within the county. Although I am from South Devon I really love the rugged North Devon coast with Exmoor close by. I could live in so many different areas of the UK. Each have their very own distinct beauty.
It is actually very exciting not knowing where one will end up. Will be interesting to see where everyone is at in a year.
We could offer special rates for Expat reunions at the B&B....now there's a thought.
Old May 26th 2010, 11:56 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Hello.
Thanks to all who posted regarding my resignation.

Well, it's done. I have to say I have a huge sense of relief. I was half hoping they would say I didn't have to work out the 2 weeks notice, which is what they usually do. But I think because I am not leaving for employment elsewhere they are ok with me finishing out the next 2 weeks.

To my surprise they were shocked and even expressed sadness. They are taking me out to dinner on June 8th as a farewell. The young lady I trained is now going to be the new manager and she will be hiring my replacement. I have already told her I may be looking for a job next year if I come back to the US!

It is very scary knowing I don't really have a job now, or won't have very shortly. But I am very excited about going back to Hong Kong, and then onto England at the end of the year, or the beginning of the next one.

Good luck to DDL and thank you Marmalade. I love this forum and the whole Brit Expat community. This is without a doubt the best expat forum around. I know because I have come across others. Even if you don't post for a while and then return people are friendly.

I read through these posts every day again now I have a little more time.

I am considering booking my ticket to Malta and stopping by for a surprise visit to Anna. Don't panic though Anna....Yet!
Old May 27th 2010, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
Hello.

Well, it's done. I have to say I have a huge sense of relief. I was half hoping they would say I didn't have to work out the 2 weeks notice, which is what they usually do. But I think because I am not leaving for employment elsewhere they are ok with me finishing out the next 2 weeks.

To my surprise they were shocked and even expressed sadness. They are taking me out to dinner on June 8th as a farewell. The young lady I trained is now going to be the new manager and she will be hiring my replacement. I have already told her I may be looking for a job next year if I come back to the US!

It is very scary knowing I don't really have a job now, or won't have very shortly. But I am very excited about going back to Hong Kong, and then onto England at the end of the year, or the beginning of the next one.

Good luck to DDL and thank you Marmalade. I love this forum and the whole Brit Expat community. This is without a doubt the best expat forum around. I know because I have come across others. Even if you don't post for a while and then return people are friendly.

I am considering booking my ticket to Malta and stopping by for a surprise visit to Anna. Don't panic though Anna....Yet!
I'm glad that everything went so well. Good for you You will have a really nice send off. Enjoy your farewell dinner, you deserve it
Old May 27th 2010, 12:34 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade
I'm glad that everything went so well. Good for you You will have a really nice send off. Enjoy your farewell dinner, you deserve it
Thank you Marmalade. Fancy a visit to Hong Kong, Discovery Bay?
Old May 27th 2010, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Hello.

Well you have been and gone and done it as they say

Well done and good luck for an exciting new future.

Chris
Old May 27th 2010, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Marmalade. Fancy a visit to Hong Kong, Discovery Bay?
I would love to

Unfortunately, or fortunately I'm saving up my pennies to visit Scotland in July (secretly scoping things out, so I can move home, shhhhh......)
Old May 27th 2010, 5:20 am
magistrate

magistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nice

I would like to plug my little town in South Devon ,I came here in November last year after living in florida for 12 years and am loving every God given day ,
Newton Abbot is a Market town and is just delightful ,there is a large farming community here ,it is the gateway town to Dartmoor but Torquay and other coastal towns are just 6 miles away ,the city of Plymouth is 30 miles .
There is a farmers market every tuesday and the main food market is open every day except Sunday. We had the hardest Winter for 10 years but the sunshine the last couple of weeks has made up for it ,I don,t have a car yet as funds are tight but the bus service is great and took the train to Exeter last week which was marvellous as the countryside was beautiful.
I can certainly recommend this area and would love to answer any questions concerning moving back to the UK as I have experienced the good and bad when it comes down to the change .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.